Simple gadget?

Aggie32

Beta member
I am trying to make a gadget that will be able to receive code wirelessly and make the code into text on a small 3 inch screen. What all do I need to achieve this? Is it possible to make an app that can transmit signals via wifi or bluetooth to this three inch screen? What all components do I need for the screen to change the signal to text? I have very little experience dealing with all of this.

What kind of display is your 3 inch screen exactly? Is it already an existing piece of hardware that you have hooked up, and you just need an interface for it?

Raspberry Pi may be a good start.

I want to make it all from scratch but I have thought it might be easier to use an old phone somehow.. But is it possible to set up a connection between a iPad and this device without internet.

Not an ipad as it is an apple product and I don't think that even if you pay $99 USD to become a developer, you still wont be able to access bluetooth/wlan

I want to make it all from scratch but I have thought it might be easier to use an old phone somehow.. But is it possible to set up a connection between a iPad and this device without internet.
Possible? Sure. But to do anything with iOS development, you'll need a Mac + XCode and learn Swift. Android would be objectively cheaper if you wanted your "send" device to be a phone with an app, as Android devices can be gotten for quite cheap, and the programming language is free - you also don't need to sign up for the store or anything like that unless you plan to distribute it.

What exactly is your goal?

Not an ipad as it is an apple product and I don't think that even if you pay $99 USD to become a developer, you still wont be able to access bluetooth/wlan

wat

So I am kind of using this thread to brainstorm. Lets say I hire someone to make me the app is it even possible for me to set up a wireless connection between the app and a receiving device using bluetooth/wlan? And how difficult would it be to find the things I need for the receiver: screen, something to make it pick up the wireless connection, battery, computing system that can have text show up on the screen?

My goal is to have a system that has a transmitter: which is an app and a receiver that will put text on a small screen, I want all of this to be about the size of a phone. I was thinking in the middle having a wireless network of some sort

Lol I mean that you can't access it on a low level. Like you can't go customising drivers.

That's rarely necessary to begin with.

So I am kind of using this thread to brainstorm. Lets say I hire someone to make me the app is it even possible for me to set up a wireless connection between the app and a receiving device using bluetooth/wlan? And how difficult would it be to find the things I need for the receiver: screen, something to make it pick up the wireless connection, battery, computing system that can have text show up on the screen?

So you basically just want to make a small, wireless sign that displays text. That's what you're getting at?

Well, you would make a "server" app on your device you send from, then a "client" application on whatever your endpoint is that listens for that server. Whether that's something like a Raspberry Pi or just another phone is up to you on whatever would work better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom