Should I join the Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience in the military has been mostly enjoyable. Mostly. You will always have times during times of war of exercises, little sleep, and constant drilling. Keep a few things in mind if you do join, and hopefully this should help you out. Number one, when in basic do NOT volunteer for ANYTHING to get brownie points. It wont help you in the long run and the only thing you will gain out of it is more opportunities to mess up and have it pointed out to you and disciplined for it (it's all about breaking you down and building you back up). So, stay as low profile as you possibly can. You WILL have details, but the ones who volunteer for all sorts of crap like leader and what not, they have more responsibility, more mistakes, and to be honest... I found life outside of basic and tech school (permanent duty station) to be NOTHING like training. 2. Take complete advantage of the education benefits. They offer free clep testing. Study. Take the tests. Clep the **** out of them. 3. Get the GI BILL!!!! Its only one year of deductions = of 1200 for about 30,000 for college. 4. If you have schooling think about trying the bootstrap program. 5. Like I stated previously, the Navy and AF is the only branch (that I know of, AF for sure) that offers not only guaranteed training, but also job placement in your career field. You may work as TO technician until your secondary training, but you WILL get to the job you wanted.

BabyBlueEyes said:
I wouldnt join the navy for anything or anyone ...
I think wars and things like that are completely stupid ...
And I sure wouldnt risk dieing and stuff over ppl i dont know ...
and being in the navy ...
sheesh ...
you wont be home alot

Well I'm glad you're not going to have any effect on the decision this fine young man will soon make.

Follow your heart...look at all branches equally...and make a wise decision.

Trust me with one thing though....do your 5 years..10 years...20 years...one tour..whatever...when you finally get out...you will have a sense of accomplishment that 'nothing' will ever better.

Its worth it...I have 2 brothers in Iraq....both of them love it...even with the hardships.

killians45 said:
the Navy and AF is the only branch (that I know of, AF for sure) that offers not only guaranteed training, but also job placement in your career field...
Coast Guard, too, although they're a bit harder to get into. :)

I think all branches of the military offer some kind of education/vocation benefit, it just depends on what kind of environment you want to "train" in.

Well this is where I stand. My primary objective for joining the Navy is to get education and real world experience in a computer related position. I want a job that is more technical then car audio. So the primary reason for joining would be training in the computer field and a job that is more technical then car audio.

As far as the war goes, I am neutral. I donÂ’t really have any thoughts about it so there are no ethical problems there. The only thing I would be worried about is getting attacked. But being that the enemy in Iraq probably does not have ships, I doubt its much of a concern.

But my main question is how "hard" is Navy life. Are we talking 12-hour days 6 days a week working hard as ****? Or are we talking more like 40 - 50 hours a week doing what I was trained to do like in a normal job? Because I am not really a "physical" person. Yes I can withstand bootcamp and I can run a few miles here and there. However I would not last doing extremely physically demanding tasks all day every day. So is it like that being a computer tech, or do you work on computers all day and maybe some other small things here and there like a normal job?

Or are we talking more like 40 - 50 hours a week doing what I was trained to do like in a normal job? Because I am not really a "physical" person. Yes I can withstand bootcamp and I can run a few miles here and there. However I would not last doing extremely physically demanding tasks all day every day. So is it like that being a computer tech, or do you work on computers all day and maybe some other small things here and there like a normal job?

Nukem can correct me if I'm wrong, but once you finish basic, the physically hard part is over.

The vocational training you'll go through will be very condensed and rapid fire... the nuke program packs four+ years into 2 years.

Once you get your assignment, you have your job. Everyone I talked to has said that it's a lot like a civilian job, but you can't quit or walk out (especially at sea). You have a shift you work, and a life outside of it.

Times have changed. The services are wanting leaner, more phyically fit people to man our positions. The Navy in general is not any ONE job. Aside from being an Operations Specialiest, I am also a part-time damage controlman, part-time navigator, and of course full time janitor. :) If something happens, who else is going to "fight" the ship and save it in case of fire. We can't call the fire dept. LOL

Back on topic, I PT 3-4 times a week. run 2 miles, sit-up, crunches, etc... All commands are doing it. Besides... what you think you cannot do now will DEFINATELY change once you get out of bootcamp. As I stated before, It's a life style change. and BC is the first place they change you.

I will answer any questions to the best of my ability, but I will not lie to you, as some people might. (recruiters?) yes I know I suggested you go talk to them, but take it with a grain of salt. they will tell the half truth... Tell you just enough to get you in leaving out all the parts that are typical to Navy (Military) life.

Working hours will depend on where you are... When I am at sea, my job details that I work in hour shifts... 6 on, 6 off... in port I work (usually) from 6-7 to 3-5 depending on your position and what not. I work longer usually due to my higher rank and being part of the chain of command. I have roughly 32 "Junior" people to look after. That alone takes some extra effort. but not all jobs are like that. Some or more, and some are less strenuous...

Take your ASVAB and see what you have avalible to you for jobs, then look at what you want to do...

Would be a awesome career change! Good Benefits...Be 100% sure before you do it bro. Wish you the best of luck!

I was thinking about joining the military (wasn't sure which branch) after Highschool, but decieded instead to go to (community) college. That was back in June of 2001, so no doubt had I joined, I would have been in Afghanistan, followed then by Iraq, and probably soon to be Iran... I would have LOVED to be a pilot, but the glasses were holding me back, and I am not sure if they consider people that have had Lasik or not... I am not going to sign up, but if I was called on, I would serve my country (Although, in MY opinion, it seems that our troops are aweful busy doing things overseas for others that need to be done here also... I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful thing that they build schools and infrastructure for people who ordinarly wouldn't have things like that, but there are areas in the US that need attention, but just aren't getting it..... Don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying we shouldn't be doing it, just where is the love for our own?)

Looking back on my life, I kind of wish I would have joined, and it would have caused to me to avoid some of the larger mistakes in my recent years, and would have gotten me in line, and in shape.....

I have a friend that I went to highschool with, and he joined after 9/11, and ehas been all over the world, helping out civilians in so many countries, and three VOLUNTARY tours in Iraq.

Whatever your decision, I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors. (I was wanting to get into mobile electronics, but it just isn't in my immediate future... maybe later.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom