Should I join the Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPL Tech

In Runtime
I am currently a car audio installer, and I love it. However car audio does not pay very good. So I sat down for a long time and tried to think of how to get experience and education in another field when I thought of the military. I never have looked into the military until now, however it appears their training is top notch and they pay for 100% of college and you can get a guaranteed military job in your field of specialty after you finish schooling. So I think I would like to give it a try. I have to finish a few things yet but it looks like I will qualify for almost any job in the military that is of interest to me.

So I am looking at going into Information Technology (IT) and working as an IT systems administrator or something similar. But I guess my question to you is what branch is the best bet for me? I have received what the Army, Navy, Marines, and Air Force has to offer and narrowed my choices down a bit. At the moment I am most interested in the Navy and Army. I am currently leaning towards the Navy for it appears they have more advanced technology then the Army in reference to computers. So what does everyone think? Would the Navy be a good option? Anyone have any personal experiences? I have been told by many that the Army does not treat their solders the best which is why I am leaning more towards the Navy. Anyone know if this true?

My dad was in the navy for 27 years and had a blast. You can gain alot from the armed forces, and as far as army and navy goes, how many ships have we lost in the current wars?

Why are you asking people on an internet forum? This is something you ought to figure out yourself, not to be taken lightly. I would ask people you personally know, your family might not want you to go like most families, but hopefully they will be support full.

If your really after education you should look into the Nation Guard or the Army, they're the best from what I hear when it comes to education. You have to be pretty smart to get into the Air Force, it's also the hardest one to get into. Marines just have to be just be physically fit, and mentally can go through all the training. Although technically you are in the Navy when you join the Marines.

true but you never know i rather be here than losing a arm or an leg for some people on the other side of the world.

I wouldnt join the navy for anything or anyone ...
I think wars and things like that are completely stupid ...
And I sure wouldnt risk dieing and stuff over ppl i dont know ...
and being in the navy ...
sheesh ...
you wont be home alot

wouldn't the air force have the most advanced technology? I would give that a look.

Navy tops the Air Force for tech.

It takes a mature, loyal, and patriotic individual to be willing to serve his country. Many here do not, or will not, meet that challenge.

Your ASVAB scores will determine just what you can or cannot go into. If you've go the score, and do well on the test the Navy gives you, you can go for nuclear engineering (creme de la creme). But the Navy also offers a multitude of other tech jobs.

And the beauty of the Navy is that you're on a boat, not in the middle of a foreign country. Basically, they push a button, launch some missiles, have dinner, and go to bed.

I was AF and loved it, they and sorry Trotter, may have to disagree with ya there as far as technology ;) Reason being is many of the joint labs for advanced weapon research is conducted in AF labs, albeit many of the researchers are civies and is joint. Anyhow, you have space/space vehicle launch, advanced tactic war fighters, nukes, IT for boing/lockhead/thiokol transfer if you get college in nukes but thats some hard stuff to go into. I agree 100% that there is a mature mind set to being in the military. The two branches I would consider most would be either Navy or AF because of education ops and guaranteed jobs. Be warned, from what I understand about the Army (someone correct me if incorrect) is they can guarantee the training however not the job. Yes, you may be trained as tank repair or IT but you will always be first and foremost a soldier and you will goto where you are needed most. So the job is not guaranteed. I'm not sure on the Marines. So Navy or AF for job guarantee. Army, training guarantee but not job, Marine I dunno. Also, I LOVED my time in. AF is like a normal 9 to 5er when you get to your permanent duty station (at least missile maitenance for Minute Men III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom