Should I get a dwarf rabbit for the girl? (V-day gift)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightSurge

Fully Optimized
The girl has been saying how cute bunnies are lately, and she says she only wants flowers and chocolates for Valentine's Day, but I want to go a step further and get her a rabbit.

Now, I did some looking and I saw that Netherland Dwarf rabbits are the smallest breed and arguably the cutest. I am thinking that is the way to go, and I will have to look around to find a cute one, as well as the cage, food/water dish/bottle, bedding, and any other needed toy or accessories.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'd prefer to get one that looks like one of these:
151103%20012.jpg

netherland_dwarf_rabbits.jpg

NO!

Dwarf rabbits are very sensitive to various illnesses I know a guy who had 3 of them and they all died within a month from a different illness.

with any pet, make sure she is ready to look after the animal first before giving it to her as a pet.
I know that this spoils the surprise, but just make sure she ready to look after the pet and give the pet the love and attension.

The only time where I would agree to any one to give a pet out a gift is when the other party as stated an express interest in getting a pet.

NO!

Dwarf rabbits are very sensitive to various illnesses I know a guy who had 3 of them and they all died within a month from a different illness.

Did he buy them from a reputable store or breeder and keep them well taken care of? I know they have sensitive ears, and being so small you have to be gentle... but from the sounds of it, he got them from someone when they were already sick (or at least one was) and it eventually spread to the rest of them.

with any pet, make sure she is ready to look after the animal first before giving it to her as a pet.
I know that this spoils the surprise, but just make sure she ready to look after the pet and give the pet the love and attension.

Oh and we live together, so if for some reason she neglects the thing, I'll take care of it myself :D

Did he buy them from a reputable store or breeder and keep them well taken care of? I know they have sensitive ears, and being so small you have to be gentle... but from the sounds of it, he got them from someone when they were already sick (or at least one was) and it eventually spread to the rest of them.

Yep a real breeder, they where all healthy when he got them he sterilised the hutch every time he changed the bedding etc the first one lasted about a week then he got number 2 and then number 1 died he felt bad for the 2nd one he got the 3rd then about a week or so later 2nd one died from a totaly differnt issue from the 1st an then number 3 died from a infection. They are VERY fragile creatures.

Yep a real breeder, they where all healthy when he got them he sterilised the hutch every time he changed the bedding etc the first one lasted about a week then he got number 2 and then number 1 died he felt bad for the 2nd one he got the 3rd then about a week or so later 2nd one died from a totaly differnt issue from the 1st an then number 3 died from a infection. They are VERY fragile creatures.

Hmmmm.... seems fishy for him to have such bad luck and for me to not see this many horror stories online. What about Britannia Petites?
MSSeal.jpg

Could have been some sort of virus going aroud the lot... Considering he got them all with in a short period of time... I would say as long as they are well taken care off, and no super strong oders such as anti bacterial solutions are used on hands or near them, they would be fine... But yea, see if she would really take care of them first, then get them the day of or the day before vday.... that way there enviroment doesn't have to many changes at one time...

i can give a suggestion......

one shotgun and 2 shells should do the trick.

Excuse me? If that was some attempt at humor it was badly misplaced. I don't know if you meant for those shells to be for the rabbits or my girlfriend but either way I find it very rude that you would suggest such an action be taken on a genuinely interested pet inquisition.

@Saxon
How old were they when he got them? They are extremely fragile before they are 10 weeks old and should not have been purchased younger than that. Also, was this a breeder as in a single individual that breeds maybe 10-20 animals at one time, or was it a breeder in the huge barn full of rabbits (aka rabbit farm) type? Because I can see this very likely situation had they been from a rabbit farm and not an actual certified and trusted breeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom