Short Survey - Patterns in UserIDs (need help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That may be an interesting study and/or survery, but I agree that it asks for way to much information for me, or most people, to fill that out.

This was reported as spam, but I really don't think it is. However, this type of thread is usually posted in other forums beside TF and the user may or may not become part of the community. So if you want to help, then help.

Dave :D

It looks like it's genuine but it's far to much info for me to be giving out. what happens if it falls in to the wrongs hands?

DMo224 said:
This was reported as spam, but I really don't think it is. However, this type of thread is usually posted in other forums beside TF and the user may or may not become part of the community. So if you want to help, then help.

Dave :D
I disagree.

We've already been through this a couple of months ago. See here. Same user. The site appears to have been altered a bit (there's now a privacy policy and a line that says "The survey has been approved by Institutional Review Board of UIC"), but I still think the survey asks for far too much information.

I agree with Metr01973...even if it is a totally legitimate project, and these guys are trustworthy, what if someone else happens to gets their hands on the data they've collected?

To quote myself from the first thread:
Like others here, I find the nature of your survey somewhat suspicious. Regardless, you're a member who signed up to Tech-Forums solely for the purpose of drawing people to your website. This constitutes spam. End of argument.

It may be a totally legitimate research project, but you must understand that identity theft is a very real danger on the internet these days, and people have every right to be nervous about just handing a lot of personal information over to a stranger. I would think there are cleaner ways of gathering the information you want for your study.

Didn't we all ready have this guy post here a few months back with another one of his survays.

Yeah. This guy was around a few months back. I wouldn't recommend anyone to get involved in this "study". Qiranworms and Dmo24 explained why.

There are several FREE tools available online that can be used to "discover" a users passwords to a variety of sites, just by using a few varibles that this "survey" asks for.

Now, I don't know about everyone else... But i'm not going to give anyone 3 of the 4 numbers to my single digit locker combination....
It would take an idiot not to be able to figure out the last number.

"Also... If I remember correctly in the first thread this guy made, I was trying to explain this to everyone and he made some statement like, "All of this information can be found through search engine crawls anyway." Kind of a red flag to me, that someone has already been data mining, but they just want a way to make it a lot easier on them.

I'd recommend to close this thread. Just to be on the safe side and protect it's members.

nitinjindal83, you must admit it does look a bit suspect. You have 0 posts (even though you've now posted at least twice?) and the information gathered may well be for a university project. But lets say that information got stolen from the uni or from somebodies house, the information contained in it could be used for identity theft. We are not calling you a liar we are just saying that the information you are asking for, optional or not can be used in a detrimental fashion. I agree with HAVOC2k5 that the thread be shut down just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom