Ship destroys internet for 75 million people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I am seriously freaked out right now, because I had a dream last night about an undersea internet/telecommunications cable exploding or being hit by something...

I'm not joking either, probably a coincidence, but I'm more than certain I was not aware of this news before hand... although I was looking at a map in my last Geography class that showed the global underwater telecommunications networks from continent to continent - so that might of triggered it.

That sucks for those people. I'm surprised that these cables are so vulnerable.

they probably aren't that vulnerable...but think how much a ship's anchor weighs. especially if it's a big ship.
and that's a freak coincidence where it landed.
also freaky about your dream.
pick some lotto numbers for me, circus boy. lol jk.

There was some guy on the Traxxas forums who lived in Saudi Arabia said his internet died for about an hour. Then the country put there system back online through satellite links until the land line was repaired.

Comuication is always the first avenue of attack, my second assumption is the captian and his first mate were drunk. the closest experience I have to this is when a gas line was ruptured after the surveyor had marked the area, after repairs it was ruptured again, the crew was a bit hung over.

Here is some thing a little educational for every one. Here's is a map of all the submarine cables for the internet
cable_map_wallpaper10x7.jpg

There is a really good detailed map at TeleGeography Research , but I am not paying $250 it. Currently the biggest group of people being affect by this in India. On the good side, this will mean that we will have a slow down on the number of Indian call center outbond phone calls either telemarketing or debt collecting.

And this is getting a little sus.......

Firstly, there was no ships in the area where the cables where cut

Khaleej Times Online - Ships did not cause Internet cable damage

and now third and forth cable getting cut....

Third undersea cable reportedly cut between Sri Lanka, Suez - MarketWatch

Internet problems continue with fourth cable break

I would not be suprised if it's some sort of terrorist attac.............. [CONNECTION LOST]

LOL @ the evil terrorists taking over harper's connection. maybe it's scientologists...:p
You're right. It's the evil inter-galactic overlord, Xenu, that is doing all this.

On a serious note, it has been a little more lagy down here as all the traffic from Perth is coming over to Sydney.

No slow down from Hong Kong.
That because you Hong Kong is a one big giant network switch for all these cables.

Just the same old slow speeds in the Uk ... :)
I am very surprised considering the number of connections you guys got going to the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom