shaking soda question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NewCents05 said:
since when did the history channel explain to you about carbonated beverages

Well, last night actually on a show called, "Modern Marvels".

It was on last night...
More Snackfood Tech.
Aired on Wednesday, February 15 at 3:00am ET

They showed all kinds of stuff, candy, donuts, cookies, beef jerky, pork rinds... etc...

Yup... I'm a total nerd.

out of curiusity, why does coke taste so much worse without the carbonation? people are just used to drinking it that way?

Actually, yes.

When Coca-Cola was first being sold, the creator had people try with carbonation and without, to see which poeple prefered. Thankfully, people like it with the carbonation... and the rest is history.

When Coca-Cola is being bottled, the water is chilled to 35 degrees F or less, as 35 degrees or lower is the optimum temp for carbonation to take place. If you ever get to tour a soda bottling facility, touch one of the bottles/cans coming out of the filler... they are ice cold,and very "strong" (fully carbonated). Even the non-carbonated drinks come out cold, because they use a drop of liquid nitrogen to pressurize the bottles/cans to give them rigidity so they can stack them (pallets of finished product).

And, yes, I worked for Coca-Cola for five years. :D

Trotter, what happens if a pallet of coca cola comes of some forks? is it screwed?

No, not really. So long as the container (can/bottle) is not compromised, it is OK. But if the wrap (carton/label) is damaged, we chucked it.

A pallet of 12-packs holds 192 12-packs, and the forklifts we used carried two pallets at a time. If you dropped them both, you might have 35-40 12-packs that wouldn/t be screwed.

Actually, if you shake a Coke up then let it sit for a while to calm down, it doesn't lose its fizz. The pressure forces the CO2 back into the water.

Does freezing the contents of a soda agitate the carbonation as well? Because if you freeze a can of soda, eventually it "explodes."

I believe most of that is from the freezing of water and expanding out past it's allowed borders. The force of the freezing water is clearly enough to overcome the can. But water doesn't grow indefinately when it is being frozen. It reaches its peak size around 20F I think, and then levels off on the size it reaches.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom