Settling a dispute, Pixar's PC Specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
are you ready for info....

and to begin, lol for the lock unlock thing...if only some would do that instead of DELETING entire posts, hehe

Pixar used a 2600 processor renderfarm
some frames took 30-40 hours

FROM an ol 2k4 article:
The Render Farm consists of 1,024 Intel Xeon processors inside eight RackSaver BladeRack supercomputing clusters running Pixar's RenderMan software. The Render Farm features two terabytes of memory and 60 terabytes of disk space

so...I mention OLD because Pixar may be using sun chips and stuff that has changed since then, but back then it was 2400 cores...so not extremely different, but different

my source...my cgw sub and here's a digital for you
Computer Graphics World |

Incredible Animation: Pixar's New Technologies

and here's an interesting article:
pseudorandom: Pixar Gets It Wrong For Once

go NVIDIA! :D

See, now, i think its a myth that Quadro and FireGL cards improve render speeds, i don't think it is true. They only help with realtime editing (which is a type of rendering but that's not what i mean). They help with editing of scenes that have millions of polygons but i really dont think they make a difference when it comes to the final render. I would be very surprised if any of the pc's in the render farm have workstation video cards.

See, now, i think its a myth that Quadro and FireGL cards improve render speeds, i don't think it is true. They only help with realtime editing (which is a type of rendering but that's not what i mean). They help with editing of scenes that have millions of polygons but i really dont think they make a difference when it comes to the final render. I would be very surprised if any of the pc's in the render farm have workstation video cards.
In terms of speed alone, GPU's are significantly ahead of CPU's

In terms of speed alone, GPU's are significantly ahead of CPU's

Parallel Processing FTW...I love it!

Ive never been able to fold so fast before....knowing that i have the power of 15 PS3's
in only 3 gpu's makes me feel like a king...lol

Did you forget about CUDA???

CUDA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Using CUDA, this machine has the power of over 300 2.4ghz core 2 duos:
FASTRA

Rican. everything isn't about folding..... :p

Didnt say that.

My point is that CUDA makes gpu's work the same way as cpu's, and they do it with more power,
and more efficiently.

F@H is only one of the many programs that can take advantage of this.

CUDA Zone -- The resource for CUDA developers

Didnt the article say they where using Xeons? I said, if they where, they wouldnt have workstation GPU's in the racks....

From what i know the latest xeons and core duos are very very similar...

You can use 300 desktop cpus, or 8 gpus and get the same power... which sounds better??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom