Sensitivity to your own skin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I was a member on this sight a few years back, lost touch and came back recently, and I must say I am terribly disappointed. Most of the interesting forum threads I have visited have been closed for unexplained reasons, and I have had to post any topics as new threads because of this. Were they shut down because of profanity, inapropriateness, or some refusal to adherence to the rules? No, they were shut down because they are "off-topic"!!!!

What is the point of having an "off-topic" forum, if you can't discuss anything that is not related to computer technology?

Shouldn't the off-topic discussion forum be disolved?

This forum used to be the prime example of open free information shared between lovers of hardware and software technology! - Now it is pathetic how many topics are deemed innapropriate for seemingly no reason.

I understand the need for cussing to be taken off the page, and when it comes to actual danger to people, well that is obvious.....

But religion and politics? Cannabis and current events? If this is an international sight, shouldn't we understand that our danish brothers and sisters can legally smoke (and therefore talk about it with no legal problems) It's not as if some American isn't allowed to say he is going to get high, there's nothing illegal in that.

As far as religion and politics are concerned, this isn't exactly a place where people are going to express their political beliefs. It is however, a place where techies come to express themselves, which is going to take us occassionaly into the realm of politics and religion.

Second, if anyone is easily offended by the things they might see or hear in these threads, then why can't they stay away? There are christian radio stations that we don't have to tune into. Heck, there are crazies on the street corners who we have to ignore if we don't want to be offended religiously.....

What made the tech-forum techies the police of the world? It's one thing to edit the appropriateness of a post, it's another thing altogether to censor and close the post based on some political or moral philosophy, that's why freedom of speech is called an INHERENT HUMAN RIGHT, and not a privelige, or a blessing.

That brings me to the "village idiot" argument. (Imagine that....I actually read the previous threads for this topic before posting!*huh*) If we decide to kill any posts made by our own group of village idiots, then we are next. Imagine having to take a test in order to speak in public.....aarrgghh it reeks of 1984 so bad I want to go take a bath.

What is the point of having an "off-topic" forum, if you can't discuss anything that is not related to computer technology?

The problem lies not with topics not being about computer technology, but with topics that touch off powderkegs of flaming and profanity. Such things are best left out of TF.

Off Topic is here as a catch-all, for community... not a cesspool.

Shouldn't the off-topic discussion forum be disolved?

No reason for it to be dissolved. If people knew how to behave properly (well, they know how but don't show it), threads like this one wouldn't be here.

But religion and politics? Cannabis and current events?

The first three are off limis, period, no matter where you live. Current events is not a problem until someone makes it one.

if anyone is easily offended by the things they might see or hear in these threads, then why can't they stay away?

If the things that moght offend aren't her eto begin with, then there is no reason to have to stay away. Tech-Forums is not a pigpen, nor should it be treated as one.

There are christian radio stations that we don't have to tune into. Heck, there are crazies on the street corners who we have to ignore if we don't want to be offended religiously.....

Offended by religion... Funny that.

that's why freedom of speech is called an INHERENT HUMAN RIGHT, and not a privelige, or a blessing.

Ah, but this is a privately owned site, not public domain. The rules are different here... and they are enforced.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line for any and all...

TF is a place for any and all, but it is not a place for anything and everything. Rules are put in place for a reason. If anyone cannot abide by the rules put forth, be advised to find another place to post besides TF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom