Selling Forum & Hotmail Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
Alright i've got a couple issues here regarding the Buy/sell/trade forum. I've got a number of things i'd like to post for sale but i read the forum rules and i've got issues.

The main problem is you've got it listed that a poster who's selling something can't have an email addy from a free email service. What's up with that? I use hotmail and that's all i use. My isp provider provides email accounts but i don't use them. I just prefer hotmail for my own security. I don't consider myself new here. I've been all over these forums since i joined and i've made a lot of good friends here. If i post something for sale, it's an honest effort to sell something. Either way, i'm not going anywhere (certainly not gonna take someone's money and run). I could just as easily rip someone off with an isp provided email addy as i could with any other addy. I understand this rule is out to help protect members and everything... but it doesn't seem realistic to me. Do i get permission to post my items for sale?

The other thing i'm wondering about... it says no Auction style selling. Well what if i post a price, and three people say they'll pay this or that... technically that's auction style selling, and obviously i'm gonna go with the highest amount. How can we really stop an "auction style" sell?

Anyway, unless i get some feedback on this, preferrably from a moderator, i guess i'm not posting the numerous things i'm planning to sell. In short... that sucks. :(

Actually, it's harder to rip off people with an ISP provided email since you pay your bills to them and they have all the pertainent information. The free emails have been so heavily used for Spam purposes that it makes it seem that some people may have something to hide when they use those (and I didn't say that you have something to hide).

This is not a question of one person's honesty or integrity. Remember, most rules are made because of the ones that abuse systems.

For permission to use that forum, I suggest that you PM a mod of that particular forum. It may, or may not, be brought up to the rest of the leaders team for consideration.

When you post what you have to sell, you state a price. If people want to negotiate the price, that is their perogative. Technically, that is not an auction since you didn't start the bidding at some price. So, we don't need to stop that. If you put something for sell and don't state the price, then it will be stopped by the thread being deleted.

I hope that helps.

Dave :D

Ok, your definition of the "auction" clears me up. Thanks for that. Just wasn't sure what you'd all consider an auction or what.

As for the email thing, someone using a hotmail addy could still be tracked if pursued through the right manner. It just might delay things slightly.

Regardless of that though, if i am to sell anything here i will give the buyer my home address and full name. With that, bothering with tracking me through hotmail or isp would be a waste of time, since it'd be alot easier to just show up at my house or mail me death threats (or whatever else!). LoL. I have nothing to hide, and as you can see from my previous post (introduction), my email addy is public here for any member of tech-forums to email me.

Thanks, Dave. I've PMed One of the MODs supervising that forum to get permission (hopefully) to post my items for sale. Maybe i'll go ahead and bug the rest of 'em. I'll, of course, be supplying pictures for everything i've got accumulated here for sale. I'm actually getting ready to take pictures of everything tonight. I've got a box sitting in the corner of the room full of pc stuff that's just in the way, so i need to get rid of it. If any of the mods would feel safer, i can provide you guys with my home address too and you can even send me love letters (LoL) or miscellaneous tech-tips, whichever you prefer. Heh. All joking aside now... i just wanna post some things for sale so grrrrrrrr! :)

I guess the best way to do any buy/sale posting its to sugest the buyers sellers
to make its trans.... sales in personal check with the name of the person (no pay to cash on it) and only to deposit in account
or bank account to bank account
i dont think you can be safe with any credit paying service over the internet

I agree, Juan. Whenever i pay for something online to someone i don't know, i never use online transactions. I pay with money orders or checks since they can be tracked, and i also request addresses of whoever it is i'm buying something from and that's where i send the payment. I've recently bought a ton of goodies off of ebay and haven't gotten scammed yet (i'm super paranoid).

That's kinda good to hear, ekaesine... well for me it is lol.

Well so far no word from Guy Or Placebo. I guess they're busy today. As the reason against hotmail addy's, Guy states:

Because "free emails" are harder to track in a case that the seller/buyer doesn't hold up their end of the deal. We want to be able to find out as much information and help our members get their money/merchandise.

Well since you want to be able to find out as much information as possible, why don't i just supply the mods and the buyer with my name and home address? I just wanna set up some legit deals here. Like i already stated, any payment accepted by me is via check/money order anyway and that in of itself can be tracked down to the person who cashed it, time and place.

I guess i'll leave the issue be.

"what/why are you hiding?"

Ares said:
Well since you want to be able to find out as much information as possible, why don't i just supply the mods and the buyer with my name and home address?

That almost makes the mods legally responsible if some thing goes wrong.

No offence, but you would you buy some thing from some one with a @hotmail.com or @yahoo.com email address?
I wouldn't.

IMHO, if you serious enough to trade on the forums, then you should be serious enough to supply your ISP email address.

After all, most ISPs are now offering on average 5 email inbox when you sign up.

It really comes down to this... (don't take this the wrong way) "what/why are you hiding?"

Heh. I was waiting on one of these.

I dont use isp email addies. I could supply one but i dont check it and i wont be checking it. It doesn't serve as a contact addy and wont. There's no reason to give it as i simply don't use them. I use hotmail. And yes, i've purchased many things from people with hotmail and yahoo accounts both. I've ordered and received close to 15 items this month from honest people who use free email addresses. A person's choice of email provider does nothing for me. I don't frown upon someone who uses a non-isp email addy. They can all be tracked. If someone wants to rip someone off, they're gonna do it anyway.

It doesn't make anyone responsible but myself and the buyer, by letting the mods and buyer know my home address in advance. If anything, it makes me more vulnerable. Since the mods and some of you are so paranoid about a person using a hotmail address, i've already decided to leave it be. I was planning to sell the items on ebay anyway, but just thought to offer them up to the members here first. Bad idea.

This is just one case where a member with good intent gets shutout because of the paranoia and bad practices of a minority of bad apples. I'll sell somewhere else. It's not a big deal, really. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom