Saying the pledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

braz

Daemon Poster
I'm at school right now (blow off keyboarding class) and I just realized that no one even says the pledge. Are we becoming less patriotic? Does anyone else notice this at their job/school? What are your opinions?

Here's a tip:
Try as little as possible to judge someone else's patriotism :) Seriously... people can get all sorts of crazy sometimes. If you REALLY want to say it, nothing is stopping you from saying it after you wake up in the morning prior to your pop tarts. :)

Realizing the importance of the pledge in schools is a big deal to some. It was for me growing up in grade school. But those were different times. Headlines like this didn't exist: School Superintendent Threatened over Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish | The Progressive

As for the workplace, I've never said the pledge at work and never will I'd imagine. Unless we were all watching something on TV that had a mass of people standing and pledging... then I probably would. We are there as individuals representing a business. There's a time and a place for such things. Just like my family and I don't say the pledge before we eat dinner together. Doesn't make us less patriotic....

I aint gonna get into it, but honestly, it is a pledge that has been warped by so many people it no longer means anything to me. Mexicans have forced some schools to play both an English and Spanish language version over intercoms at some schools, and some places flat out wont let the American one be played yet allow the Mexican or another countries be played, IMO, school is a place to LEARN, not worship your country or flag, so...

I had a girlfriend in 7th grade... Sabraha Ibrahim. I had her teach me the pledge in Malay because we said it in class every day so it would be easy for me to remember. The Pledge is a pledge to a symbol of a country. A country that is represented by diversity, freedom and liberty. Not to mention founded by our forefathers with immigrant ancestors. I personally feel that it would be pretty fun to learn it in different languages for a short period of time in school. Really depends on the demographics of the school I guess, what do I know.... :(

Most kids today don't even know the words to the Pledge, which is a true shame and disgrace. Even more, most feel no allegiance to their own nation as they have never been taught what it is and where it came from (the dribble taught as "history" nowadays is not worthy of the name).

The Pledge was written in English, and should be said in English. Anyone coming to this country is supposed to learn English and be able to pass a proficiency test on it to become a citizen, so saying their Pledge in English only makes sense. Don't speak English? Memorize the words or the sounds and fake it; being silent is not an option, as if you won't say the Pledge you need to get out.

Does that sound harsh? It was meant to sound that way. I am a red-blooded American who would gladly fight for my nation, bleed and die if need be. I will fight for some idiot's right to stand and defame this nation, as many other nations would shoot you where you stand for doing it to their nation.

I have no tolerance for anyone coming here who is not willing to be a part of America. If you want to be Mexican (or Canadian, or English, or Spanish, or whatever), go back there and be it. This is the USA, not (fill in the blank).

I agree to an extent Trotter. Would you feel that one person saying the Pledge in English is more patriotic than one person saying the Pledge in Spanish though?

When thinking about the question, throw out all that you know about the country and the people and all situations involved. Just 2 people, no other differences... not necessarily a choice, just the fact that they are pledging in a different language. Could be that one person was born here and hasn't learned too much English yet...the reasons really dont matter

The question is... all things being equal, is person "a" more patriotic than person "b" because person "a" pledges in English whereas person "b" pledges in Spanish?

All things being equal would also include the fact that both persons CLEARLY UNDERSTOOD what they were pledging and what they were saying. (in their own languages of course :) )

I agree that if you're going to live in America, you should learn at least enough english to get by without having your six year old child translate for you (seriously, it happens all the time at my store). But as for the pledge, I honestly think it's not the language you say it in, it's what the words mean. If someone wants to say it in Spanish, fine, the point is they are still reciting the pledge and pledging their allegiance to our nation.

That being said, I don't think it would make me any less "patriotic" to not say the pledge. I would hope that my allegiance to our country would not just be measured by the words I say, but my actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom