Samsung Flat Panel LCD Tvs are the devil..

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
So, as some know I purchased a nice expensive shiny and at the time, great LCD TV from Samsung, model number LN32A330J1D

Well, I went to bed as normal, turned the tv, nothing out of the normal, this morning, I got up, hit the power button, as always it takes a few seconds for the turn on chirp to sound and I went to the other room not paying attention.

I came back an hour later or so later, it wasn't on, so I figured I didn't press it hard enough as sometimes I don't press it when I think I do, pressed it, sat in chair, nothing.

Kinda ticked off at this point, I go up and look at the light, it doesn't flicker off and back on when I press the button, so I used the remote, it turned off, then right back on.

And this point im going OMFG, my credit card had better sure as **** have buyers protection of some form since the TV is only TWO YEARS OLD AND COSTED OVER $1200!!!!

I did some researching, out of warranty, by EXACTLY ONE YEAR TO THIS DAY, called the credit card company, they couldn't help me with it at all.

SOOO I decided to do a little digging around on my model and found something interesting.

On the power board, in ALL Samsung LCD and Plasma televisions there is 1, or more 10v 2200 microfarad capacitors, these tend to literaly burn out pre-maturely due to heat and other issues.

So, I started to kinda get even more upset...

I decided to pull the back panel off, and get to the power board, come to find out, for sure, the single, and only 10v cap on the entire board poped, it even had a small itsy bitsy hole in the very top where it vented. So, I went out, bought some smokes, came back, and proceded to remove and put in a new 16v 2200 microfarad cap, most people recomend getting a 16-25v cap as it could possibly be something else pumping out a bit to much voltage for the cap to handle.

Come to find out, my 16v cap was only 1000 microfarad, I literaly got ****ed off to **** and back at this point and throw my soldering iron, (don't do this, it just causes more issues with family members being around)

So, I went to radioshack as they have ALWAYS had a HUGE selection of different types of capacitors in all sorts of yummy flavors for people like me, only to find out, the only capacitor they had was a 120v 2200 microfarad, that was the highest capacitance they had, so I said, what the ****, bought it, and went to put it in, the legs was to thick, I couldn't see the thickness difference, but it was there.

In the end, I grabbed 3, 1k microfarad caps, made a small PCB for them, stripped some network cable, made my circuit board for the caps, put the caps on that board, solid core network cable to where the single blown cap was, and soldered in the leads.

I put the board back in, and before putting it all back together, I turned it on, to hear the chirp, and be happy. What I didn't notice, was the screen was black, no picture, no backlight, now remember, I didn't notice there was no picture, so I put it all back together, mount it back on the wall and hook up the 20 or so cables sitting there.

Sat back down, used the remote to turn it on, the turn on sound, and no picture, I get to the point of crying as I am **** poor broke at this point, no job, nothing, and I just lost a TV that I spent a lot of money on, all I had wanted to do today was watch season one of SGU and be happy.

Then I remembered, there was two plugs on the power board for the backlights, one is apparently used for a different backlight, and that is the one my backlight had been plugged into!!!! I removed tv, and switched the cable around, this time, standing the tv up with the back off so I could make sure there was a picture.

It still isn't together as I write this, I have spent the last 8 or so hours of my day working on this stupid thing, but, it turns on, has picture, and sound, for now....

I was a fan, till I found out that they won't repair or atleast send a replacement power board, tv's like this should honestly have a longer warranty, something that expensive.... Ugh, it has made my day crappy, but, once I get a chance I am going to order a bunch of 2200 micro farad 16v caps, as I have a feeling, this will happen again.

My gfs parents have a 55" LED series 8 and its been going strong since it was new. I sold my 32" Samsung LCD TV to a friend i used to live with and its still going strong too and its more than a few years old. Ive only heard of a few models that have problems but Samsung was to lazy to do a recall on these models. Thats why before a friend or family member purchases a TV i tell them to do an hour or 2 worth of research on Google before droppin the dough.

As long as i knew how to fix it though i wouldnt be mad. I could have a 47" Magnavox if i knew the things you did.

Wow man I read that whole thing and it's pretty sweet that you know how to do that kind of fixing. Very lucky for you. Imagine how mad you would be if you didn't have some of those skills handy! Crappy experience though that's for sure. Anyway, glad it's working for you and sorry you got a $1,200 32" LCD.

It's nice to have small electronics skills, but, the fact that a capacitor should last longer than 2 years and they refuse to fix it for free, or atleast send replacement parts is what got to me today. I think the entire 300 series is affected by the bad 10v 2200 microfarad caps. I have done a lot of research, people with tvs in the 20's up to 50's are all affected, the bigger units just have a lot more of the 10v caps. -.-

Replacing capacitors isn't hard. But it really shouldn't even be necessary in the first place.
It's basically them trying to save a few bucks on their bottom line.

It isn't hard, no, but finding the right one on the spur of a moment that actually works for what you need, isn't easy in rural areas.

But, a lot of people that try such a thing on a multi-layered PCB, usualy burn the PCB and traces on inner layers rendering the job pointless, if they haven't tried something like that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom