Sad when quit smoking or else this may happen gets to this crap...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charles, i think you are just being ignorant about the effects of smoking. It has been proved hundreds of times that people that smokers are tens of times more likely to get lung cancer. it causes premature facial aging FACT. You can tell a heavy smoker a mile off, just like a heavy heroin and cocaine user.

Not only is it utterly unhealthy for you, it's unbeneficial for the entire country. It cost the NHS for England alone £3Billion to look after heavy smokers last year. That money could of been spent on much more beneficial projects, instead of those to selfish to look after their own bodies.

I don't see the problem with recreational smoking on a night out, i've done it, my family has done it. That is not a problem. I have not got addicted at all, i have smoked perhaps 50 or 100 cigarettes and not had any problem. It is not as easy to get addicted as people make out, you have to smoke a lot and want to get addicted to actually get addicted. People that smoke once or twice a week are not a problem, they do not need looking after, and the health effects are much less of a problem - because the body can get rid of all the effects of 1 cigarette in 3 days, roughly.

I think he's trying to justify his bad habit. There is NO point to start smoking at all NONE. And nobody can tell me that it's not bad, because i have lost two family members due to deaths that were DIRECTLY related to smoking.

It's a bad habit. So is drinking. You don't see so many bad ads about drinking do you? No. Huge taxes on alcohol? No.

My personal thoughts : Leave smokers alone. It's THEIR body...THEIR money. The cancer junk is overrated. Yes, smoking is bad. But more people die from car wrecks daily than smoking. The money issue? Oh well...most people spend more on a computer yearly than my dad on his smoking. Second hand smoke just is overrated too. A person walking on the streets smoking isn't producing anything worse than the cars,chemicals, and sewage lines in the area. Someone used a good example earlier. People want to nag on smokers but none of them try to tell you how to change your ways. My dad has never once told a huge person to lose weight. Or tell a drunk to stop drinking.

Second hand smoke just is overrated too.

that made me laugh.....i'm not the only person i know with severe smoke allergies, my cousin and one of my friends have it. But what would i know, i've only almost been killed by it twice. And both of these situations weren't because i was being stupid and hanging around smokers, but because someone lit up next to me, or i walked past them after they lit up.

It cost the NHS for England alone £3Billion to look after heavy smokers last year.

Just a side point Oreo, tobacco sales in the 2006-07 financial year netted the treasury £8.1billion in excise duty and £1.9billion in VAT. That's £10billion the government wouldn't have had if it weren't for smokers. Source: Facts & Figures : Tax Revenue from Tobacco

The "cost to the NHS" argument is null, and always has been. I'm not arguing with you, at all, just making an observation...

that made me laugh.....i'm not the only person i know with severe smoke allergies, my cousin and one of my friends have it. But what would i know, i've only almost been killed by it twice. And both of these situations weren't because i was being stupid and hanging around smokers, but because someone lit up next to me, or i walked past them after they lit up.

Hence the reason, me and quite a few others tend to stay away from CROWDS, yes, there is most likely something in the smoke that you are allergic to.

And yea, with ALL the taxes being collected on cig sales, the collection greatly outweighs the costs that go back to people that do smoke.... But IMO, leave smokers alone for once, and stop increasing the taxes on cigarettes, if some one is going to smoke, they are going to smoke.... And there ARE different types of smokers, there are casual ones, that smoke cigars and fine things. Then there are the social kind, that smoke more often around people that they talk to, or smoke more during convos. Then there are the kind that are flat out addicted and stupid about smoking, and shove it in others faces that dont want it. IMO it is the ones that shove smoking into the faces of people that don't want it that gives smokers a bad name... But my point is, if a group of people this large wants to smoke, let them smoke in peace, **** it brings the gov money to use, hence the reason the feds raised cig taxes, and most states are adding extra taxes to a pack of cigs...

Yep, smoking brings in taxes for the government(s), but how much does it cost them? Here in the US, those without insurance either live without or get on a government plan. The gov. ends up paying for the medical costs for these people. Most of the smokers are poor and cannot afford private insurance. And that doesn't even start to look at the lost time from work and such that it brings about.

If someone wants to smoke, it is their choice. Just don't do it beside me. I will respect your right to breathe your smoke, but respect mine in that I don't want to. I have asthma, and smoke does very bad things for it.

Smoking is illegal in public buildings in my state (includes restaurants and such unless the establishment makes the fact that it is allowed abundantly clear). This has improved many places tremendously. One place, Cameron's, is a blue-collar restaurant that has an amazing breakfast. Before the ban, I couldn't even set foot in there unless I wanted to be using my inhaler the rest of the day... sometimes it was hard to even see across the place for the smoke. Now it stays even fuller, you can taste the food, and it is 100% cleaner. If i were not on a diet I would be going there a lot. ;)

Like I said, it is each person's choice. I don't allow it in my house or my cars, but those places belong to me. I don't try to preach to people about it, but I will tell them if they ask or are rude about it.

what medical costs trotter?

old people? smoking alone doest not cause you the need to see the docter until you have some form of cancer. and thats usualy with old people.

and old people go to the doctors often anywys, for the most part.

look guys, everybody dies, saying that an ad saved somebody's life because it got them to quit smoking is just utterly bullsh!t. who knows, the next day they can get murdered by oj simpson......or overdose on crack/cocaine....or get hit by a drunk driver.....or fall down the stairs and break their neck....you get the idea.

nobody lives forever, smokers and ciggerates dont kill people, people kill people and themeselves.

what medical costs trotter?

old people? smoking alone doest not cause you the need to see the docter until you have some form of cancer. and thats usualy with old people.

and old people go to the doctors often anywys, for the most part.

look guys, everybody dies, saying that an add saved somebody's life because it got them to quit smoking is just utterly bullsh!t. who knows, the next day they can get murdered by oj simpson......or overdose on crack/cocaine....or get hit by a drunk driver.....or fall down the stairs and break their neck....you get the idea.

nobody lives forever, smokers and ciggerates dont kill people, people kill people and themeselves.

exactly.

just like i said before...that pretty car people hop in almost everyday throws off more than cigs do :|

Yep, smoking brings in taxes for the government(s), but how much does it cost them? Here in the US, those without insurance either live without or get on a government plan. The gov. ends up paying for the medical costs for these people. Most of the smokers are poor and cannot afford private insurance. And that doesn't even start to look at the lost time from work and such that it brings about.

If someone wants to smoke, it is their choice. Just don't do it beside me. I will respect your right to breathe your smoke, but respect mine in that I don't want to. I have asthma, and smoke does very bad things for it.

Smoking is illegal in public buildings in my state (includes restaurants and such unless the establishment makes the fact that it is allowed abundantly clear). This has improved many places tremendously. One place, Cameron's, is a blue-collar restaurant that has an amazing breakfast. Before the ban, I couldn't even set foot in there unless I wanted to be using my inhaler the rest of the day... sometimes it was hard to even see across the place for the smoke. Now it stays even fuller, you can taste the food, and it is 100% cleaner. If i were not on a diet I would be going there a lot. ;)

Like I said, it is each person's choice. I don't allow it in my house or my cars, but those places belong to me. I don't try to preach to people about it, but I will tell them if they ask or are rude about it.

In the UK, the government pays for everyone's healthcare (give or take), and as Oreo said, smoking-related illnesses cost them £3.1billion last year. And they received £10billion in revenue from the thing that caused them. Our government is in profit through smoking. And so is yours (I assume). That's why they don't ban it.

Smoking is illegal in all workplaces here, doesn't matter if the owner wants to allow it, they can't. That includes pubs, restaurants, company-owned vehicles and private members-only clubs. It hasn't stopped people smoking, but it has improved the health of non-smoking bar staff, and created a "popping out for ***" (yes, I know, but that's what we call them!) culture and scores of tables in bars with one lonely non-smoker waiting for their friends to come back...

EDIT: Ha, the word Eff A Gee is banned. Well, I was talking about cigs, not being rude.

i see you tryin to pull a fast one on us!

really.jpg

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom