RX-7, 8 or CRX!? or maybe... an Impreza WRX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mr2 is nice, but I don't like convertables and meh on the prelude

about the $15k car, I'll definately have insurance before I even touch the thing... so that won't be too much of a problem besides having really high insurance premiums... 16 years old and with a sportsy car 0_0...

I addressed your post when I said that a $15k car was no problem, and that definately is my max

I'm mainly using this thread as a place to find some good sub $15k car that would be good as a project car for a beginner learning how cars work. I'll definately be upgrading whichever car I buy... probably with some nice racing seats and a new interior first.

A nice altima can be had for well under 15k, in fact a fully loaded 03 with leather, bose sound system, and sunroof can be bought for about $13k after tax and title.

Its only a 4 cylinder but man that engine feels like a v6, no lie.

Its a 2.5L, so its pretty big for a 4.

Of those you mentioned. The WRX would be the best handling and most powerful. 6 speed manual, awd, and factory intercooled turbo charger.

But to find a ~2004 wrx in good shape you are looking at an easy $20k.....

Another thing about the Altima:

The stock 2.5L makes 175hp and the stock 3.5L non-turbo engine pushes 240-270 hp, and its the engine from the 350Z and we all know how fast of a car that is.

Im sure a stock Altima 3.5L can keep up with a wrx, and if modified wipe the floor with it.

The Altimas are great cars, but I drove one for awhile (2002 with the qr25) and its handling was terrible. It was even slightly modified with I/H/E and had KYB agx shocks and H&R sport springs. It's more of a cruiser/luxury car and it drives like one.

If you want to get into modifying cars then a good place to start is a 92-95 Civic. They are very cheap, have TONS of potential, are soooooo easy to work on, and have a gigantic aftermarket base.

Or perhaps a 94-95 integra. I advise staying OBD-1 because if you start modifying it OBD-1 is just easier to deal with. I can also give you a few pointers, because not only did I have my own modified civic for a few years, but I've been a moderator over at superhonda.com for several years and also I'm a motorsport engineering major :)

I'm a Honda fan so will have a tough time recommending other things...Hondas do have their drawbacks like most being FWD and pretty much all of them not having much torque at all, but as a first car and intro into modifying stuff they are ideal...and when built correctly they can be wicked fast.

On the other hand like Amd_gt_player said, the 240sx is also a great car. It's RWD but is not turbo and feels pretty slow at stock, so you won't be in much danger of spinning out or losing control. You can slowly modify it as you get used to the car, they have great potential also. Lots of people swap in the sr20 or ca18 but I think that's a waste, you can just boost the stock ka24de and have a better powerband.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom