Russian Spammer Gunned Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Google's had the same experience, even though they read your mail and we don't," Ballmer said, to chuckles and and a couple of gasps in the audience. "That's just a factual statement, not even to be pejorative. The theory was if we read your mail, if somebody read your mail, they would know what to talk to you about. It's not working out as brilliantly as the concept was laid out."
Microsoft's Ballmer: Google Reads Your Mail - The Chart - IT Channel News And Views by CRN and VARBusiness

A new California law, the Online Privacy Protection Act, went into effect on July 1, 2004. Google changed their main privacy policy that same day because the previous version sidestepped important issues and might have been illegal. For the first time in Google's history, the language in their new policy made it clear that they will be pooling all the information they collect on you from all of their various services. Moreover, they may keep this information indefinitely, and give this information to whomever they wish. All that's required is for Google to "have a good faith belief that access, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property or safety of Google, its users or the public." Google, you may recall, already believes that as a corporation they are utterly incapable of bad faith. Their corporate motto is "Don't be evil," and they even made sure that the Securities and Exchange Commission got this message in Google's IPO filing.
Gmail is too creepy
Hackers have revealed that your GMail account is vulnerable to an attack that allows malicious folks to keep tabs on your e-mail traffic. The attack uses a clever (and particularly nasty) cross-site request forgery (CSRF) to create a persistent backdoor that can be used to read your e-mail. The exploit works by creating a new filter in your GMail account, which means it can do pretty much anything GMail filters are capable of — including forward your e-mail to another account. [Update: Google has reportedly fixed the issue. See this post for more details.]

Google says it is looking into the exploit, but even if it's patched, anyone affected before the patch will continue to be exploited since the filter must be removed by hand.
GMail Flaw Lets Anyone Read Your E-Mail on Compiler
Rather than allay these fears, Google's accident-prone co-founder Larry Page refused to rule out a future policy of 'joining the dots'. A simple "No, Never" would have prevented much of the damage. But asked if Google planned to link Gmail users to their Web search queries, Page replied:

"It might be really useful for us to know that information. I'd hate to rule anything like that out."
Google mail is evil – privacy advocates | The Register

I still use Yahoo mail that i have had for like 10 years, before gmail even existed. I love not checking my mail for a day or 2 and seeing 5000 mails in the bulk folder. The more spammers that die, the better.

OMG I thought getting GMail, but something told me to stay away from it, now I'm glad I followed my gut!! been using yahoo for 9 or 10 years myself

death to spammers!!! (btw, if getting spammed on IM SPAM THEM BACK
!1)

OMG I thought getting GMail, but something told me to stay away from it, now I'm glad I followed my gut!! been using yahoo for 9 or 10 years myself

death to spammers!!! (btw, if getting spammed on IM SPAM THEM BACK
!1)

You're listen to theend? he's a hater of many things even though they're good.

O_RLY.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom