RIAA crushes single mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
RIAA Verdict: P2P File Sharer Liable, $222,000 in Damages : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech

RIAA Verdict: P2P File Sharer Liable, $222,000 in Damages
Thu Oct 4, 2007 10:55PM EDT
See Comments (4)
As promised, it was a short trial. And the verdict is in: Jammie Thomas is guilty of copyright infringement and now owes the record industry $222,000, quite a bit less than the millions she could have been found liable for, but certainly enough to likely bankrupt the single mother.

The jury assigned a value of $9,250 to each infringed recording. No one is sure how that number was reached.

I can't say I'm not disappointed. Not because Thomas wasn't guilty; she certainly went out of her way to appear so (potentially handing over the wrong hard drive to the RIAA for examination), and her legal team's defense was atrocious to the point of being nonexistant (relying exclusively on the idea that some hacker might have used her usual user name and her computer without her knowledge). Rather, I'm upset because this will do nothing but encourage the RIAA to continue its strongarm tactics, which it will probably step up now that it has a legal precedent to back up its Gestapo-class threats.

Thomas's case is merely the first, however, to make it to trial. There will certainly be others (though probably fewer, as more will settle now that the RIAA has established a real track record in court) and hopefully some of them will have lawyers with a better grasp on the complicated issues here.

One thing is certain: Watch for more RIAA fearmongering in the coming months. Hey, it's almost Halloween.

I think it's bull ****. How can they realistically charge a single mother a quarter million dollars? It's going to ruin her financially. It's ruthless as **** to do something like that and I'm sure now that this is probably just the tip of the iceberg...

Does the RIAA get the money? Also, why did she only pirate 24 songs? Where does the money go? We know the artist arn't getting anything from this.

Thomas, a single mother of two from Brainerd, Minnesota, is among the 20,000-plus individuals the Recording Industry Association of America has sued in the past four years. She was found liable for 24 songs and ordered to pay $9,250 per track in penalties. She faced fines as high as $3.6 million.

Threat Level - Wired Blogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom