review file formats relating to compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
I did a quick search to find which file format has the best compression ratio. This search produced the following link that states bzip2 is the best with its Burrows-Wheeler Transform.

Working with Compressed Files

One of the most common problems that I come across with Linux users, is the issue of how to work with the huge number of different compressed files that exist in addition to those that have leaked out of the Mac and Windoze world.

Now comes this HOWTO, which in the best tradition of Linux documentation, is intended to help with this problem, but without getting bogged down in excessive complexity or technical jargon. Here I cover each of the compression formats, together with some basic background on the format, the tools needed and where to get them, plus examples for compression and decompression.

In this HOWTO I have included all of the file formats that I am currently aware of. That said its still very possible that their are some more formats that are not covered here. So if you know of any, please mail me, and I will add them here crediting you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom