Resume, references, password: Job seekers get asked in interviews to provide Facebook logins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or just say you don't have one, make yourself not show up in searches, remove or don't put your phone number on the account, and don't give your employer the email that is used with the account. I have on specifically for email, one for news letters, and one for signing up on websites. Makes filtering the spam really easy. None of the accounts are the same, none of them are even on the same provider.

Unfortunately, telling them you don't have one would be lying and is more of a reason to axe you. I too have emails for certain purposes.

How the hell would they know, patonb? In my city, there are several people with the same name as me. One being a good friend of mine. Down to our middle names, even. And I don't give out my information to the public, nor does my friend. How would they know which is me or him?

Just another way to f up the economy employment rate. They have ways for checking on criminal activity. Why do they need FB? 20 years ago they had nothing like this.

I have actually had an application that asked for a link to my Facebook account. I did not put it on the application. If they want to find me they can, just as anyone else can find me. However I will not give them my passwords to anything that is mine.

How the hell would they know, patonb? In my city, there are several people with the same name as me. One being a good friend of mine. Down to our middle names, even. And I don't give out my information to the public, nor does my friend. How would they know which is me or him?

No matter how they find out.... if they find out, you can be fired.. I would certainly fire you. If youre gong to lie about a FB account, what else will you be dishonest with?

Just another way to f up the economy employment rate.
Really?. So it's got nothing to do with the trooves of entry level workers who think a university degree, or tv collage certificates deems them the right to a job, and will not do anything less?

They have ways for checking on criminal activity. Why do they need FB? 20 years ago they had nothing like this.

20yrs ago they really didnt have crimial back ground checks either... That was the start of when criminal back grounds really started becoming more common.

People really need to become more aware of trash they put on to the web, be it FB or even forums like this. Its funny to read you asking what people did 20yrs ago, being this is a technology based site.

Basically this whole thing comes down to you, and what you are willing to do or risk for a job.

I equate it to like my house address. Sure, you can find where i live, but i' not going to let you have the keys to my house.

Exactly, if you want to see my FB account it is public but I will NOT under any circumstances give a company my credentials. For me, it has nothing to do with Facebook. It's the fact that they want your actual log in.

I have not worked in quite a few years due to my Severe Illness, but if thats what its like out their in that Big Working world were people want you acutall Private Data, and thus being able to Log in whenever they would feel likely, then you can count me out. (Hence a Password surposed to be Private) Its ovious you wouldnt put something on the Internet if you didnt want someone to know what that was, but when they are Invadeing your Personal Life, hence FB being for Family and Friends (as advertised, apparently!) then its an Invasion of Privacey the fact they want personal Information. Yet another case of some form of Data Harvesting in the Masses, wich FB to start with is quite good at that.

I read if you Delete a File on FB, Photo ect, it gets moved to another Location and not actutally removed from their Servers. Tell ya what, FB must be a Gold mine for Data Mineing. :very_angry:

Actually, if the require you to give such information for a job, and you refuse and can't get the job, they can be on the end of a loosing lawsuit. No company can force a person to give out such information that is private. Also, they do not need access to someones facebook to check PRIVATE information.

This is about like Walmart asking for Social Security numbers to be wrote on checks back 5-6 years ago around here. They can't legially ask for such things to be wrote on a check, after a few calls Walmart stopped doing that.

BTW, facebook USED to have a setting so that your profile would NEVER turn up in any search results, showing as if you was never there. It recently got rid of that in "upgrading security" for users.

Another thing that can be done, don't use your legal name, nor your main email account address for facebook. Have a work only email address that only employers know about and never let them have your private address. When going for an interview disable your account (can't be deleted) and if asked, state that you don't do social networking, it's not something that interests you.

Half the reason so many people don't have jobs, is because they aren't hired because the boss just doesn't like the way someone takes a ****, or chews their food, people need something to protect them AGAINST this ********.

Whether or not its should or shouldnt be done, it is.

and 2 years ago, management passed me over for interview citing my facebook page as something they didnt like about be, and said it spoke about my professionalism.

At the end of the day, my work and home life are seperate.

(i can be a little extreme)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom