Replacing engines in cars...

Status
Not open for further replies.

up-smash

In Runtime
Just wondering how well the knowledge is here on automotives...

I'm in love with the second-gen RX-7 fc3s, there are a few in my area for sale at cheap prices, mainly because the engine has over 9000 miles (127,000 to be exact) on it. So my solution was to stick a diesel engine in it because I can use bio-diesel fuel to run it since its better for the environment and everything. How difficult would it be to do this, its probably not cost effective at all.

some car pr0n for ya'll

Mazda RX-7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

gimee thoughts

You might want to pick up the complete tear down and rebuild manual for your car to start with. They are not that expensive.

Currently i picked up one for my 02 Astra. This is so that the next time my mechanic tells me that i need to get this serviced, I can look at the guide and make my own call on whether I do this myself or not.

I love the FC's and FD's! sexy light cars... however.... swapping in a diesel is probably not a good idea... unless you get a high performance one made for it? rx7s are sports cars, and should be fast, not economical.... perhaps mod an ls1 to run on ethanol and slap it in there, it would be cheaper and gas mileage would be pretty good.

Either way, not economical to swap a diesel in, a lot of custom fabrication, unless there was an FC diesel made somewhere that you could swap parts with...

Also, you would have to make sure everything else could handle the added torque of a diesel.. and it would throw off the weight distribution of the car (tiny rotary vs. iron block diesel engine) - that is, if you could find one that fit..

Basically, not going to happen, unless they made a diesel FC in europe or something, and even then, shipping parts over here will be a pretty penny.

not going to be very easy. it would be possible but you would have to find an engine that will fit in the engine compartment then you would have to beef up the tranny and rear end so it can handle the powr from the diesel and you most likely would have to beef up the suspension and frame to handle the extra weight of the diesel. once that is all said and done then you would have to, most likely, tear out the computer and put in one tuned for the diesel engine you are putting in. or you might be able to somehow reprogram the original one for the diesel.

if you are really set on swapping a engine then i would suggest trying it on some thing a little older and cheaper and easier to mod. something like from the '70s so it would not have all the computer stuff to worry about. use that as practice.

You want economical diesel? Buy a chevette.

The only engine worth swapping into a RX7 is a small block. Preferably of the LSx group.

I' pretty sure you guys know that I can use biodiesel fuel in a diesel car with no modifications made, just wanted to make that clear so you know why I wanted a diesel.

Thanks for the other options.

Yes, bio-diesel is easy to run in a diesel engine. But how available is it in your area? Is it any cheaper then regular diesel? Now that running vegetable oil in your diesel has become so popular, in some cases it costs more then the conventional stuff.

Why not find a mid or early 80's Mercedes diesel? They can be had for under $1500, get pretty good mileage, and because of the simple mechanical injection system will have the least worry of problems running bio diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom