Recommend me a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
While his books aren't considered "action", check out any of Chuck Palahniuk's books. I would recommend Rant as a first one, it's really well written, interesting, does have action, and has a really dark undertone and morbid sense of humor.

I am also a HUGE Stephen King fan, I've got a copy of "the Running Man" at home, one of the best, if not THE best I have ever read. One book I would recommend to you is "Misery" that is a good book, also The Regulators and Thinner (under the Pseudonym Richard Bachman, as was The Running Man I believe) and Desperation (wriiten by Stephen King, this is a companion novel to "The Regulators") Read desperation first.

Another one of his Books that is not as good however still a good read is "Cell" not as good as the a fore mentioned however still a good book

I've also Heard good things about "Under The Dome" which I haven't read as yet (it is sitting on my bookcase and I've Also ordered a copy of 'IT' which is next on my list. As well as this I have a copy of "The Tommyknockers" left unread.

Moving away from King, there is a series of military fiction called "Sharpe" by Bernard Cornwell. this is a great read for anyone interested in military history or looking for action/adventure

Richard Sharpe (fictional character) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is also the James Bond Novels by Ian Fleming

James Bond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jake

Totally unrelated but if you have even a slight interest in the subject "The standard model, the unsung triumph of modern physics: The theory of almost everything" is a great read. You don't even need to know much, i mean i'm at grade U in Physics at A level but it is still very enjoyable.

And i also hate [the vast majority of] books too, so give it a try you might find it interesting ;) There are only 2 other books i have ever enjoyed, A Brief History of Time and the other one i forgot the name of, it'll come back to me shortly.

I've been looking for a few books to read as well. I've been reading LoTR, but it all seems so slow to me. Looking for something else.

If you can find it, Tox, check out either the Amber series by Roger Zelazny (the first is better in my opinion than the second one), or the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenburg (hard to find anymore).

Tolkien was a great writer, but yes he is slow. And very, very detail oriented.

The Amber series is a first-person story. There's no way to explain the story without taking a long time, but it is quite fascinating. Lots of intrigue amongst the royal Family of Amber, some really wicked uses of magic, and unforgettable characters.

The Guardians of the Flame is a series about some college students who are transported into what they thought was a fantasy role playing game. It seems that it is actually another reality and they are now the characters they were playing.

being a fantasy fan myself here are some recommendations from me.

The Dark Tower by Stephen King starting with The Gunslinger.
The Dark Tower (series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman starting with Dragon Wing.
The Death Gate Cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan finishing up with Brandon Sanderson starting with The Eye of the World.
The Wheel of Time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have more but that should keep you busy for a while. :D

Yeah, my friend really likes the Dark Tower. I see all kinds of people reading it as well. I'm going to have to do it this summer. He just started the Wheel of Time too. He says that isn't bad either. I haven't been reading much lately, my main things have been

Harry Potter (of course)
Eragon Trilogy (this be my favorite)
Lord of the Rings (most epic story ever, just told in a somewhat boring way. I love all things lord of the rings, but the other two series beat it out just because of the story-telling style).

If you can find it, Tox, check out either the Amber series by Roger Zelazny (the first is better in my opinion than the second one), or the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenburg (hard to find anymore).

Tolkien was a great writer, but yes he is slow. And very, very detail oriented.

The Amber series is a first-person story. There's no way to explain the story without taking a long time, but it is quite fascinating. Lots of intrigue amongst the royal Family of Amber, some really wicked uses of magic, and unforgettable characters.

The Guardians of the Flame is a series about some college students who are transported into what they thought was a fantasy role playing game. It seems that it is actually another reality and they are now the characters they were playing.

I will definitely have to check those out. Should be able to find them on Amazon right?

If you haven't read it, "The Hunt for Red October" by Tom Clancy. It's one of the few books I have read, and enjoyed.

And, as a serious suggestion, "The Holy Bible." It'll keep you busy for a while, albeit it's not a single book.*

*Note : I'm not a religious person, nor am I trying to influence you. I believe in evolution, but even I thought the few books I have read were good. I have only read the first 2 books of the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) and the last book of the New Testament. Genesis, Exodus, and Revelation.

Yes, both series are on Amazon.
Amazon.com: Roger Zelazny: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle
Amazon.com: Joel Rosenberg: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

95BlackGA said:
And, as a serious suggestion, "The Holy Bible." It'll keep you busy for a while, albeit it's not a single book.
Quite a good suggestion. The bible is actually 66 books, not counting the Apocrypha or spurious (fake) books/gospels/epistles. I heartily recommend the ESV (English Standard Version) or the HCSB (Holman Christian Standard Bble) as both are in today's English and are much easier to get a handle on. The NIV (New International Version) is also good as it uses a "thought for thought" manner of translation instead of the "word for word".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom