recieved a letter about pirating, anyone ever got one of these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesx4911

In Runtime
Dear ETC ETC:

We recently received the attached notice from NBC Universal claiming that your Internet account may have been used for copyright infringement. Specifically, NBC Universal claims that your account was used to reproduce and/or distribute copyrighted content without authorization to other users of an Internet-based file-sharing network. We are forwarding this notice at the request of NBC Universal -- please see the enclosed document.

Content providers such as NBC Universal routinely monitor file-sharing networks to determine if their copyrighted movies and music are being distributed illegally over the Internet. NBC Universal identified your AT&T account by its numeric IP address, a string of numbers identifiable by any site from which you upload or download files. When an Internet user connects to file-sharing networks, the IP address assigned to the computer connected to the Internet becomes publicly available to other members of the network. Consistent with our Customer Privacy Policy, AT&T has not released your name or any other personal information to NBC Universal, but is forwarding this notice to you so that this issue may be resolved without any further action.

You should be aware that copyright infringement is a violation of U.S. law, and potentially punishable by fines and other criminal penalties. It also is a violation of the AT&T Acceptable Use Policy, which governs your use of AT&T Internet services. If infringing activity persists, NBC Universal may choose to seek a court order requiring AT&T to provide it with your name and address so it can pursue legal action against you.

By forwarding this complaint, AT&T is not making any accusation of wrongdoing. Rather, we are bringing NBC Universal's notice to your attention so that you can take prompt and appropriate steps to prevent any further activity of this nature from occurring over your Internet account. Steps you may consider taking include:

1. Ceasing any sharing of copyrighted content that might be occurring via file sharing software, services or networks;
2. Securing your home Wi-Fi network to ensure others are not accessing the Internet through your connection to download or distribute illegal content;
3. Talking with family members or guests who may have used your Internet connection in ways you are not aware of;
4. Using virus and spyware protection software to protect against security threats and ensure your Internet connection is not being used in ways that you have not authorized;
5. Learning how federal copyright law applies to online activities by visiting the U.S. Copyright Office's website at U.S. Copyright Office.

Violations of the Acceptable Use Policy can result in termination of your AT&T service. We encourage you to review the AT&T Acceptable Use Policy online at AT&T Acceptable Use Policy| Acceptable Use Policy| AT&T and the AT&T Customer Privacy Policy at AT&T Privacy Policy.

AT&T is committed to protecting your personal information and ensuring the best possible online experience for all customers. Please review the attached letter for information regarding the alleged copyright infringement. If you have any questions regarding your AT&T Internet account or AT&T policies, please call us at 1-866-618-7991 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-618-7991 end_of_the_skype_highlighting or email us at complaintresponse@abuse-att.net.

Notice of Copyright Infringement

Re: Infringement of NBC Universal Properties
Notice ID: 14-22377143
08 Jul 2010 18:45:07 GMT

Dear Sir/Madam:

I am contacting you on behalf of NBC Universal, Inc. and its affiliated companies ("NBC Universal") regarding certain activity on your Internet account. NBC Universal owns intellectual property rights, including exclusive rights protected under copyright law, in many motion pictures, television programs and other audiovisual works ("NBC Universal Properties"). Based on our data, we believe that your Internet account was recently used to reproduce and/or distribute unauthorized copies of one or more NBC Universal Properties in violation of NBC Universal's rights. We have set forth below the details concerning this infringement, including the title(s) in question, the IP address of the account at the time of the infringement, and the date and time of the infringement.

Your Internet service provider (ISP) has agreed to forward this notice to you in order to provide you an opportunity to remedy this situation. Your ISP has not provided your personal information to us, but NBC Universal reserves the right to obtain that information through legal process in appropriate circumstances.

Unauthorized copying or distribution of copyrighted works may give rise to significant liability for copyright infringement, including statutory damages of up to $150,000 per infringed work for willful infringement. Such action may also constitute a violation of your Internet provider's Terms of Use and may result in suspension or termination of your Internet service account. Accordingly, we request that you immediately: (1) cease from any further unlawful copying or distribution of NBC Universal Properties; and (2) delete any unauthorized copies of NBC Universal from your computer.

We encourage you to learn the facts about Internet piracy, including the economic harm that piracy causes to creative industries in the United States and the danger of exposure to viruses, worms, hacking and identity theft as a result of using peer-to-peer file sharing networks. Information regarding Internet piracy may be found on the web site http://www.mpaa.org/piracy.asp, which is maintained by the Motion Picture Association of America for the purpose of educating consumers.

A true and correct list of the titles of the NBC Universal Properties which NBC Universal believes in good faith have been illegally offered for downloading using your Internet account is noted below.

We would be pleased to respond to any questions or concerns you may have concerning this notice. You may direct any such questions or concerns to us through the following Internet site: BayTSP Web Infringement Response System. Please include the Notice ID in the subject line of any correspondence.

The undersigned has a good faith belief that use of the NBC Universal Property or Properties in the manner described herein is not authorized by NBC Universal, its agent(s) or the law. The information contained in this notification is accurate. Under penalty of perjury, the undersigned is authorized to act on behalf of NBC Universal with respect to this matter.

This letter is not intended to be a complete statement of the facts or law as they may pertain to this matter, or of NBC Universal's positions, rights or remedies, legal or equitable, all of which are specifically reserved.

Very truly yours,

Mark Ishikawa
CEO, BayTSP inc.
c/o NBC Universal Anti-Piracy Technical Operations
100 Universal City Plaza
Universal City, CA 91608

Has anyone of you guys ever received this?

I didn't read all of the letter, but I got one from my ISP on behalf on HBO, just told me to stop pirating and I will be fine. Haven't gotten anything since.

Now Im trying to think WTF did I download thats NBC. I dont want to stop downloading, Im going to switch to comcast I suppose lol. Think it make a difference?

Oh I just noticed it was a tv show that I didnt download, ok I could care less now lol

Now Im trying to think WTF did I download thats NBC. I dont want to stop downloading, Im going to switch to comcast I suppose lol. Think it make a difference?

Oh I just noticed it was a tv show that I didnt download, ok I could care less now lol

Switching to comcast won't do jack ****.....

Besides that, 2 years ago, comcast had accused me of torrenting something highly illegal from adobe: Dreamweaver 8.1.
They said to me and my mother the product is still on the market and adobe is making "some" sort of profit off it.
I called adobe the following morning and told them I have a account with them, I told them I downloaded dreamweaver 8 through their site, they verified it to be true and apologised, I did however find out that our ghetto neighbors were using my network and internet connection illegally.
I locked up the old netgear router with a wpa2k key and changed a few things.
I explained that to comcast and they dismissed the accusation right away but warned me about certain torrent sites and warez sites that the big companys are watching out for and laying traps for.
After it was said and done I got a friend of mine at church to give me a nice trojan horse wrapped up in some software, gave it to my ****less neighbor and killed his pc in over a week for messing with my internet.

Standard DMCA cease illegal activity letter, half the time they are just carpet bombing but I would take it seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom