Reasons I Hate Gateway and So Should You

Status
Not open for further replies.

newdles

Beta member
I've recently encountered some major problems with my computer. Apparently, Gateway fraudulently withholds information on how your computer can be upgraded. When they sell you a computer, they tell you "This computer has such and such parts in it which can be later upgraded to..." yet they make sure you don't upgrade. In a recent tech help session, I had to force the technician to tell me that my computer could be upgraded to the Pentium 4 2.4 ghz processor. He kept telling me over and over again that I needed to upgrade the entire system. After Providing him with a link, he swallowed what he just said and later got his supervisor in the chat with us. Long hour or two later, I was advised to flash the BIOS by one of the techs. Not only was I advised to do that, but I was also NOT informed of the potential consequences. So, after the flash didn't work, my computer's motherboard is now destroyed. I've recently purchased a new motherboard (today) and am having it shipped here on rush delivery.

Earlier today, I ended up calling a Gateway tech since online chat support supervisors shrugged me off and told me they could do nothing for me and that Gateway was not responsible for anything that has happened to my computer. On the phone, I got really lucky and latched on to a very intelligent man that did everything he could within his powers to assist me on fixing my system. Unfortunately we were unable to resolve the problem. I wasn't mad one bit at this moment though and we hung up on good terms there but the issue was still not resolved.

Later on in the day I recieve emails from Gateway. Gateway is now telling me they will not support me in anyway and will also charge me for parts and labor to fix my machine. Since we all know how much Gateway charges for things you can imagine how much I laughed at the guy for saying such stupid nonsense. So, I'm stuck buying new parts of course. No great big deal overall since I'll be much more happy without Gateway in my house ever again. However, it's a big hit on the pockets around Christmas time to have these huge costs (over 600 dollars recently).

Anyway, in these emails that Gateway is sending me, each of their responding techs are telling me they value me as a customer each time. Each of the emails have the exact same opening line too -

Brandon, I would like to assure you that your situation is not
indicative of the quality of support and service that Gateway provides
to the customer.

So they are saying 100 % that their "quality" service isn't the cause of the problem. Basically they are saying me actually LISTENING to them is the cause of the problem. They go on to say this (actually in an earlier email) -

Brandon, please understand that Gateway doesn't suggest and support processor and motherboard up gradation or replacement, as this voids the present warranty with the computer. The very reason is that the configuration of computer solely depends upon motherboard and processor.

Even if computer is upgraded, even with a compatible processor and/or motherboard, the rest of the computer configuration changes. Drives and
devices connected to the motherboard start getting altogether different in puts and give different outputs. In short, the communication between processor and rest of the computer devices changes very much. Many timesthis change is either unexpected or unanswerable.

So now we are at the point of them telling me they don't support upgrades yet they advertise them in order to make the sale. To me, this is very bad for a company and I will be putting an effort on my own to make sure nobody ever buys another Gateway unless they are strung out on some sort of drugs and have lost all common sense.

I'm a tad bit angry at this :) Sorry for such a long post but I'm on a mission now to make sure the word spreads. NEVER EVER BUY GATEWAY COMPUTERS OR COMPONENTS.

First of all, you have my sympathy. Nothing is more frustrating than having problems with any expensive "appliance", whether a car, TV, or computer.
I would venture to say that there are a lot of folks that are using and are very happy with their Gateway Comps.
Customer support is a big problem in a lot of industries these days.
One reason that they told you that your upgrade couldn't be done was because of the result that you got when you tried to flash your BIOS.
Whenever a piece of equipment is under warranty, certain "rules" have to be followed in order for you to obtain warranty service in the event that it's required.
Read your warranty statement. I'm sure it would exclude any "tampering" or "unauthorized modifications".
I work on 2 way radios and provide warranty service for two major brands. On occasions where the equipment has been damaged beyond what would be classified as "normal" wear and tear or a defect in materials or workmanship, I have had to deny customers coverage.
Let me re-state that I do understand your anger. I have been cussed at by customers that didnot like having to replace an $800.00 radio.
I guess I'm trying to make sure that you understand that when you get a new anything that has a warranty, there are certain things that are and are NOT covered. When in doubt, read the warranty statement.

True. However, my computer isn't under warranty. That's why they knew they were not going to have to help me very much I guess. I'm unsure of what is to come of this but I'm taking this as far as I can. I've emailed many many people, posted this exact message on several forums, asked TechTv for help along with Blackviper.com for help as well. I'll be pushing further over the next week as well.

I do understand that others have had great luck with Gateway. Not every company like Gateway or Dell and the others alike have 100% terrible computers. I'll give them that credit any day. However, just because someones computer is out of warranty doesn't give a tech the right to "advise" and "instruct" someone on how to do something that can potentially and very easily destroy a computer. In the emails I've received from Gateway, I've been informed MANY MANY times that Gateway doesn't support or recommend doing such things and are against it. Yet one of their techs did something they are against and do not support. That is why I'm persuing this issue further. They also never gave me any warnings of flashing the system BIOS at any given time.

I am on a Gateway machine myself, it had one of the first of a lot
one of the first:
Windows 98
AGP cards
USB ports
DVD drive
CD burner
Hard drive over 10 gig
Pentium 3's

I did have a problem with it, it was supposed to come with burning software but it didn't. we rang up Gateway and told them but they just didn't want to know us, they told us it was the manufacturer of the burner that provides it but when we rang them up they told us they did not. we eventually got the burning software about 2 months later. - Adaptec (Crappy)"Easy CD creator" 4...

Unfortunately Adaptec came installed on my computer. One of the worst things I've ever had on my pc. Gateway has been nothing but trouble for me. I can understand one or two lousy incidents but not 100% where they never help me out with the problem nor ask to help fix it.

It's 100% apart now though and lying on my living room floor till monday when my new motherboard, processor, and memory get here. I can't wait.

I've never had a problem with gateway. I worked for SCHS this summer doing technology for the different buildings. We had a mobile lab with 24 mobile P4 Gateway Laptops( I think Centrino), and we had to send some computers back because of people dropping them. Yet gateway covered us, even with broken PCMCIA slots.

My guess is the technology person that gave you that advice probably isn't working there today. :D

It's no biggy I guess. Life goes on and I've already purchased all new parts for a new system and will be here tomorrow. Pretty big hit on the pocket though around Christmas time and I was quite frustrated. You would think I could get some assistance from them but that was not the case. Ah well though it's all done and over with now and nothing anyone can do about it really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom