Realistic Imagination System...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben2the4th

In Runtime
I'm currently working on a report that is supposed to explain the marketing plan for a invention/product that I have made up. I decided to make a pair of glasses or goggles that photograph the area that you are looking at and then it will use a program to map out the area and then add graphics into it. The mapping would be done in realtime so that the graphics would be in the same area when you move around a room or environment. The problem I'm having is trying to figure out how much proccessing power it would take to do something like this and how much it would cost.

I want to be able to make this product less than 1,000 and I know the technology will have to be imperfect at firsthand but as research and development progresses the graphics that you would see in front of you would be so realistic and at high frame rates (with the price remaining under 1,000), that people will be able to play fast paced online games together.

With this type of technology people could play paintball in their backyard without the guns and paintballs, just a RI system on their backs. Plus people could remodel their homes just by editing the area they are looking at and pointing to certain graphics that look like real furniture and then moving them around the room. The possiblities are endless. Thats why I need help figuring out what the price would turn out to be and how much proccessing power it would need to do this realtime mapping thing and how much the goggles/glasses would cost.

i imagine it wouldn't be too hard... kind of a cool idea actually

but it would take some kind of workstation graphics card i would imagin, that is made for rendering images. then some kind of thermal/infered/light wave camera to accuratelly draw a map (that is 3d and has correct depths).

todays technology could do it, but you may have to carry a huge box on your back :)...

unfortunatelly, one workstation card can cost thousands (usually 800 to 1200 on average). also the equiptment would have to be customized to your exact needs and such... theres no WAY it could sell for less than 1000 dollars and make a profit... maybe 5000, and as technology advances, less

but if you look at it as "now i never need to upgrade my paintball gun, gear, etc", it could be good. now you just need to upgrade your Virtual Reality goggles

or you could just sell them a crap load of weed with LSD laced in it or some crazy sh!t like that to mess them up enough :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom