.rar de-compresion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nubius said:
Ok? So the torrents are broken up as well.....so what? Isn't the overall filesize still smaller.....isn't that the point, to download 195mb instead of 200mb.

HOWEVER, every time I've ever downloaded something .rar'd up, the total file size of the .rar is barely below the total filesize of the thing unrared. That's when it annoys me that it's been rar'd and takes time to decompress it, but the total size saved isn't even worth the time it took to unrar it.

exactly, video barely compresses at all

when you make a torrent file the file no matter what it is gets broken into pieces and a hash generated, and it takes some time, just like it takes time to reassemble or unrar a file

these days its become a standard way of doing things yet it makes little or no sense, its just another step to do for no reason, and people screw it up all the time, I dont know how many times Ive had to download a single rar file just to fix someone's screw up that they did the first time thru

an extra 5-10mb doesnt mean squat when youve got broadband and your downloading a file that 700mb-1.4gb or bigger

the other thing is rar itself, I know lots of windows users like it, and its available nowadays for other OS's as well, but its another case of yet another special format, dont we have enough of these already? Imagine how windows users feel when I upload torrents compressed using the tgz format LOL, or some other obscure format used mostly by linux users

Lmao, rar is just another type of compression. Just like winzip. winrar is very similar to winzip. you can download winrar here:
http://www.rarlab.com/

Nubius said:
Ok? So the torrents are broken up as well.....so what? Isn't the overall filesize still smaller.....isn't that the point, to download 195mb instead of 200mb.

HOWEVER, every time I've ever downloaded something .rar'd up, the total file size of the .rar is barely below the total filesize of the thing unrared. That's when it annoys me that it's been rar'd and takes time to decompress it, but the total size saved isn't even worth the time it took to unrar it.
The original idea of splitting up files was so you could transfer large files on floppy disks. It can still be useful, as some free file hosts limit how large of a file you can upload. Also, some files compress better than others. For example, if you go into notepad and type a single repeating character over and over so the file is a few hundred megabytes, it will easily compress to a few kilobytes. A file without many repeating characters will not compress as well as a file with many repeating characters. If a file has {aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa}, it will compress to {a=20}. Of course there is more to it than that, but that is a basic way of explaining it.

Nubius said:
you extract that, then you get blah.r01 - .r80, then once you uncompress those you either get an iso or a .bin and .cue file
those are cd/dvd images. You need a program like nero to burn them to a cd. They will give you the install cd for the game.

lol -- can't believe how little is known about compression and images here. mabey I just have more experience with warez :p

those are cd/dvd images. You need a program like nero to burn them to a cd. They will give you the install cd for the game.

lol -- can't believe how little is known about compression and images here. mabey I just have more experience with warez
I'm familiar with all this dude. I was just typing that for the other people........because more times than not, it's a game being downloaded or software in which it'll be a .bin and .cue or .iso

Generally I juse use Daemon tools and dont bother burning it to a CD. When I do burn it to a CD, I still burn it as data and generally put the iso on my computer.

As I said though, I'm completely familiar with images and compression. I've been doing it for years like I'm sure you have as well.

The only thing I was going on, was that the breaking up the files makes sense, because the torrent breaking it up isn't the same. One is compressing it, the other is breaking it up for multiple people to send it to you and vice versa when seeding. But it also doesn't make sense considering, as both horndude and I have said, generally it's people downloading large files, so a mere 5mb isn't really going to mean crap.

Imagine how windows users feel when I upload torrents compressed using the tgz format LOL, or some other obscure format used mostly by linux users
pretty sure winrar will do tgz. I think anyway, not 100% on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom