Ramdom Quiz #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
a hint.
everything drops to the ground in the same timely fashion if it has the exact same aro dimamic shape or close to it. Gravity is the same and thats what pulls things to the ground(you know that) there for if all the marbles were dropped at the same time they hit the ground at the same time.

now
i got a question for you

theres a tin boat with a heavy anker inside, you row out to the middle of a lake. When you drop the anker does the water
a- get higher
b-go lower
c- stay the same

think about it

it goes lower. Why??? Well because when you load the anker into the boat it adds to the weight. say it was 100 pounds. and the boat was 500 pounds you now got 600 pounds of stuff in the boat(excluding your weight and ores and stuff) but when you drop it into water well we all know water takes off about 35-50% of the weight depending on where the lake is loacted. so now that 100 pound anker is 50-70 pounds there for water lowers
now you might be thinking well that depends on how much water the anker disblaced and well that would affect the level and it shouldn't go lower. However, when it is in the boat its now added to the boats mass which disblaces the water not how big it is. so thats 100 pounds of disblacement of a solid cube. but when its in the water the boat looses 100 pounds of disblacement, and the anker by its self does not disblace 100 pounds in water. So you come up with answer b

Here's another question

There's a cup of ice water (water with one ice cube floating on the surface), when the ice cube melts, does the water level get higher, lower, or stay the same?

A more scientific explanation to XT's question:

According to the law of buoyant, if the anchor is in the boat and they together weight 500 pounds, then the water replaced by "anchor in the boat" weights 500 pounds because they are floating on the surface. Then we take out the anchor, there will be only 400 pounds of water replaced. then we throw the anchor into the water, since it sinks to the bottom, the water replaced by the anchor is less than 100 pounds (if it is equal to or greater than 100 pounds, the anchor will float). so when the anchor is in the bottom of the lake, the water replaced by the boat and the anchor is less than 500 pounds. So the water level lowers.

Harold III said:
Here's another question

There's a cup of ice water (water with one ice cube floating on the surface), when the ice cube melts, does the water level get higher, lower, or stay the same?

No body ever figured out???

it stays the same i believe. Even though an ice cube is less dense than the water a pound of ice = a pound of water and would displace the same amount. i believe that is correct

yea, i did..... it gets higher...because as ice cubes freeze they get smaller.....when they melt they get bigger thus the water level rises

I believe that Hackerman is right on this one.

Someone asked me this question before, and the answer was the level stays the same, but I don't remember the reasoning why.

FireFox said:
yea, i did..... it gets higher...because as ice cubes freeze they get smaller.....when they melt they get bigger thus the water level rises

yes but density does not equal the amount of water displacement. Mass does. If the mass stays the same than the water level will stay the same.

but if you wanted to get into symantics, you could say that since the ice cube melted some evaporation must have taken place in which case the water level would be lower, but thats just plain bullshit anyhow, in his question, without considering evaporation the water level would stay the same.

stays the same. Its like my question. However, the icecube disblaces the water when its floating right but when its water the water does not disblace water, it just gets higher. So water cant disblace water there for there is no making it less like the anker in my question. the anker disblaces less because of it being in water well this ice cube becomes water so it stays the same.

yes but you must think of it as if the water was contained in a plastic bag, when it melted the water would be contained in that bag, and the bag will still displace the same amount of water. anyway you look at it, its the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom