Radar Detectors (You know, for the vehicles!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like DMo said, I don't think they are illegal in every state. I didn't think they were illegal in Iowa, but they are legal in Nebraska. I think they are legal in Colorado, as well.

I thought it was mostly the East Coast states that had outlawed them.

They are not illegal in all states, true. In fact, they are only illegal in six states so far, however, those do not include where I currently live/or plan to move to in the next few years (though of course it could change!).

My friend just bought a Bel RX65 for $300...and claims it works pretty good, although every time I'm with him we never find any cops (no speed traps remain the same here, it seems, 'daily traps').

This is one on the first site Google found:
http://www.discountcell.com/radar/belRX65.asp

I don't really plan on speeding either, or nothing major at any rate...but it would be interesting to know if these work...if they did, and it's legal (as for me:)), I might actually invest some money in them, but not being rich, I don't want to do that until I see it work good!

I know one other person who has one of the cheaper models, a Whistler 1760 or something like that. It alerts now and then, but it seems the cop is by you whenever it does (no range, eh)... But he has gotten pulled over before for having it on the dash (going through a construction zone at 15MPH, they have time to see these things), but the cop only hassled him (it's legal, 'ya know!). But as another factor, most, or a lot anyway, detectors also have an alert system thing, that warns you of many different things (I've not looked much into that, as I find it useless, but...!) You could always switch to that mode.

Also, VG2, as anyone who's looked at detectors has heard of, is made specifically for detecting a detector...as you see most models these days say "VG2 cloaking technology", and the newest radar is the POP radar, which sends rather quick bursts unlike the usual...so most detectors cannot detect that (yet). The Bel RX65 can, however...

Hmm...is it worth $280 to play with? :)

I just don't see the point.

I mean, first off there's the whole moral aspect.

Second, there's very few highways I know of where you can blitz down the road and not cause havoc doing so.

Thirdly, god forbid you ever hit someone...

Fourth, traffic will compensate for stupid speed sets.

Fifth, there's usually a good reason for the speeds they set.

And sixth, the police have enough trouble with people breaking the law as it is, without people actively trying to break the law too.

ADZ said:
I have the perfect method of avoiding cops....drive an x-cop car

every time i go through road block different police men tell me how they love my model car because they got laid in them so many times...needless to say when i got home i gave my car a thorough cleaning....

I havnt tried the radar thing, but if i hear good things about them, i may just pick one up :)

Hey, don't I recall where you got like a $600 ticket thru that same roadbloack cuz you had no insurance or something while back.....? srry if i fronted you off....lmao

never had too much experience w/detectors.....why bother, speeding is not really THAT important....just fun on open roads like in Arizona or New Mexico where theres just you and the sun and a looooong stretch of asphalt.

ShoobieRat said:
Second, there's very few highways I know of where you can blitz down the road and not cause havoc doing so.

I don't think the average detector user buys one just so he/she can do 100mph. In both Iowa and Missouri on the main highways and well, MOST of the highways, it is customary to do 5-10 over the limit, which is hardly "blitzing" speed, and come rush hour on open stretches, it's almost 15 over sometimes (which is really scary doing 85 with cars all around, and I try not to go that fast). It's also hard to hit someone when they are all going the same speed as you are. A radar detector to most people is cheap protection for just going with the "flow of traffic" if the officer just wants to pick one person out of the herd.

Now in the case of the idiot who's screaming down a packed highway doing 85+ thats' stepping outside the comfort threshold and he/she would most likely get sent to jail hands down if he/she is going faster than the flow of traffic.

Now if you are talking about "in town" speeding and detector usage, I agree, if you hit a pedestrian, you're screwed and so is the pedestrian, you deserve to be in jail a long time then. I feel that it is just plain stupid to speed in town, there is no point here in KC anyway, cause in town is always bumper to bumper.

I think I said all I wanted to say here, I'm just a blabbermouth sometimes, LOL.

There's actually a law that states that if the whole of traffic was going over the speed-limit (a very common thing, with prime example being the PA TurnPike) then you can't get fined for going the same speed as everyone else.

Now, a cop may flash his lights or pull someone over, as a way of slowing everyone down...Especially if the traffic has moved up to a speed higher than is safe, aside from speed-limits (the PA TurnPike being another fine example).

Here in DC, you get people all going down a 55 highway at 75...and all the time there are these idiots with these big-finned supped-up jap-hatchbacks that come racing up through at 90, and they all have radar-detectors on their dashes to avoid the cops. Le'me tell ya, even if yer a good driver, those idiots scare the crap out of you doing that!

And racing around like that on a highway is risky. I mean, what if you hit someone? If you're going down one of the highways around here, and everyone's doing 75, and you go racing up and hit someone...it's gonna kill someone, and likely take a bunch of other people with them.

There's laws here (and most other places) about fireworks. Here in VA, you can buy them, but you can't shoot them off. Now, there's reason for this (idiots blowing themselves up, others up, and starting fires), but most people think it's a pretty crappy law. Still, I would rather fool around with fireworks than a one-ton vehicle going 90mph down a VA highway at rush hour. I think the risk to others, and myself, is much less with the fireworks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom