To quit or not to quit that is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandpa used to smoke, until I was about 10. He didn't do any of the above, but he went to a hypnotist. Now we were all, wtf?! But actually that made him stop. So as long as he stopped, all we care. (Not recommended?)

But, now that he's 89, he's on oxygen 24/7, and any simple task as walking out to a car, getting himself dressed, etc. leaves him out of breath. He takes so many different pills. Think he has 3 different inhalers. Also has a dark spot on his lung, but a surgery could kill him.

Just go cold turkey. It must just be like trying to diet for someone who really likes there food. Like me. Well basicly it sucks real bad and it's all you can think about, you struggle to sleep at night because you really want food (a smoke in your case) and this goes on for a while. The first week sucks harsh, but then second week it is easier as you see the benefits of loosing weight (You will feel fitter from not smoking instead) so that keeps you going through the second week. The third week you are pretty much over it and instead of thinking about it constantly, it just occurs to you a few times a day and isn't too hard to resist.

I don't smoke properly. Though I have got into the habit for the past 2 months of having two or three when I go out down to the pub with friends. Nothing verging on addiction, it never even crosses my mind until i'm drinking again. I guess I should nip it in the bud..

My mother use to smoke when I was kid uptil middle school years.
Even though its her private business and I wont mention any details, but I think motivation and the problems of Broncitis started to have effects on her health.
Luckily she quit before I turned 16, but many people smoke due to nerves or just for the relaxation of it.

It's pretty funny as I was just in a discussion on Facebook about smoking. If you wanna quit, then quit. If not, don't cause yourself the misery. That is what I tell all smokers.

The best thing (despite the withdrawal symptoms) in my opinion would be going cold turkey and let everyone you know and see on a daily basis know that you aren't smoking anymore so if they see you with a cigarette they can tell you you aren't supposed to smoke. Let them help you with it.

i remember hearing about a lady, i know IRL, who put on a few pounds after quitting cold turkey. i'm not sure why kman is saying you'll lose weight.

Quit Smoking Without Gaining Weight

i know someone who uses the electric cig. they used it for a bit and then later went back to cigs. now they use both.

i've cut my habit back by trying to only smoke late at night .. or socially. I don't bring cigs to work. Regarding stress, i would try to find other ways to relieve the stress. Health care provider may be able to help with this.

Thanks Lukas, my dad was lucky being able to quit when he did after 40+ years and the problems etc and me, my mum and sister, Aunts etc hounding him along with the Campic he quit for good. And yet I still do a random check on his jacket pockets, glove box, door compartments etc. He was a sneaky bugger.

congrats to your dad, must take a lot to quit after that amount of time! on the topic of quitting, everybody is different so i think its just gonna be trial and error with methods...
I think going cold turkey would be the hardest to cope with at first(obviously varies with different people, some are prone to addiction etc) but is more likely to be the quickest method of actually quitting all-together if successful.

Also, if you decide to choose a different method you're always going to have that little battle of wanting a cigarette once you stop using whatever the chosen method involves, this will probably similar to going cold turkey but a bit easier.

OT but Lukas where in manchester are you? I know Heild Green, Didsbury and the airport very well.

live in quite a small town called droylsden, inside tameside and is about 5 miles away from the town centre. Not too far away from didsbury if im correct.

If your asking us then I predict failure. You'll quit smoking when you decide to quit and our opinion won't make a bit of difference. I drank anywhere from a 12 pack to a case everyday for over 25 years, one day I woke up with a hangover and said screw this. I haven't had a drink of alcohol since, it's been almost 4 years now.

One of my friends uses the newer Blu ecig, the high end one, saves money, breaths easier and so on, he gets his fix, and is happy. He has actually cut back a lot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom