To quit or not to quit that is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kharn

Lord Techie,
Right TF'ers as some of you know I smoke, very heavily any ware from 20 - 40 a day depending on my mood. Now I have been thinking about quitting for about a year now and I am going to give it a serious go from January the 1st but it's how I do it, do I?

1) Cold turkey get over the 3 day hump and live with it.
2) Nicorret patches.
3) Champic.
4) One of them electronic cigarets.

Opinions guys?

Cold turkey. It's rough at first, but it's better to make a quick break than to drag it out.

I will second cold turkey, BUT you MUST want to actually quit, and stay AWAY from smokes. When I moved from KY to PA, I could no longer afford cigs, so I was forced to go cold turkey, and I WANTED to still smoke, I didn't have urges to smoke, just wanted to, after 3 months, I finally found enough money to buy a pack of smokes, and started back up worse than before, now I am two-three packs of roll your own a day.

I won't go into details, but I accidentally got myself hooked for a bit. Realised it when I was lying awake one night trying to sleep, but all I could think about was smoking. When I realised what'd happened I literally punched myself in the face.

I like smoking, so no I didn't quit. But I am damn sure gonna be in control of myself. These days I have one a day in the evening, I'll wait till about 9 when it's good and dark, then go out to the hammock. Warm night (cold would be even better), stars everywhere, tis awesome. But that's it.

I personally don't care about the health side of things (if you think I should, then tell me what you've eaten in the last week), but I do care about being in control of things, not the other way around.
Bottom line for me is, make your decision and stick to it.

quit naturally, the patches have helped millions of people over the years. you will need willpower though,. the ciggrette fake ones that you suck on however can taste weird but satisfy two cravings, nicotine and the oral addiction.

you may feel that when not smoking youi chew on pens, fingernails etc. lol doing that is addictive.

but yeah quit mate. my coworker just had a heartattack because of smoking

I have been smoking since I was about 11 / 12 years old I stated in the first year of secondary (high) school, so its been a long arse time. Oddly my dad started when he was about that age and had been smoking for about 40 years had a heart attack got a quad bypass started again for about 3 years then had a stress related heart attack then was put on a medicine called Champik and now feels sick when he smells a cigaret for more than a few seconds and is improving more day by day.

I genuinely want to quit, I saw just how much I spend on tobacco a month not including cigars £300.40 a month about £500 with them. I smoke way too much, I don't want to be like my dad and end up having a heart attack, and miss out on so much and cut my life short. No matter how fun it is in the last year I have put on about 3 stone as well but I haven't been excising (I used to jog 3 miles a day with my dog and eat much healthier) but that's not something a improved diet and some exercise wont fix, as I have been writing this I have had two cigarets and looking at my ashtray it's almost a 1:2 scale model of the matter horn.

I have one issue with the cold turkey option and that's stress, it's my habit to open up the pack and draw a long one when I am working my arse off on a clients system or network. Not to mention drinking if I can get over the 3 day hump and the 3 week slog I should be able to deal with it.

I used to smoke when I went out drinking. I knew that it was going to turn into me smoking more eventually, so when I was in Mexico last year, the last night there I quit cold turkey. I think I've only had once since then, and I was quite angry about it. I still get the urge to have one, and I know it isn't anything like what you'll be dealing with, but I say either the patch or cold turkey.

Just so you have a idea, I wake up and before getting out of bed I light a fag then walk to the toilet take a dump put it out then save and shower, Light another get dressed make a coffee and breakfast, look up my diary have another 2 depending on how long it takes along with the email and log checks so add another 2 / 3 to that. Then leave for the first job of the day have a fag on the way, sit in my car and have another then I show up on location after that it's variable numbers throughout the day.

So thats 8 before I do anything.

ive grew up around people who smoke 20-40 and ive seen them try to quit with several different methods, however, they have always fallen off the wagon with the "just 1 cigarette".

it seemed easiest for my mum using champex(think its the same as champic) but she had to alter her dosage because it had adverse side effects. even after not smoking for a few months she still fell off the wagon. So it seems to me your biggest enemy is your will power and want, if you genuinely want to give you, im sure you will :)

Goodluck!

Thanks Lukas, my dad was lucky being able to quit when he did after 40+ years and the problems etc and me, my mum and sister, Aunts etc hounding him along with the Campic he quit for good. And yet I still do a random check on his jacket pockets, glove box, door compartments etc. He was a sneaky bugger.

OT but Lukas where in manchester are you? I know Heild Green, Didsbury and the airport very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom