quick queston about cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoke should come out of a car's exhaust pipe.

It's not cold out though, which makes this seem weird...

Normally vehicles spit out black smoke when it's cold out.

goosesandmules said:
last time i checked vehicals put out a light colored smoke when its cold out.

often (but not always) that smoke is actually water & left over fuel vapor that has condensed inside the exhaust pipes due to the cold weather and is blown out when the car is started. while the vehicle is running, the light colored haze you almost always see is just the result of the hot exhaust on the cold air, like when you can see your breath on a cold night.

I have never seen a car put out BLACK smoke with it being cold, only a white or blue looking smoke, and that's usualy in the winter, but my intrepid at night on cold starts for about 40-50 min will want to put out massive ammounts of white smoke, I don't really worry anymore since the trannys 3rd and 4th gear are gone...

charles_scott said:
I have never seen a car put out BLACK smoke with it being cold, only a white or blue looking smoke, and that's usualy in the winter, but my intrepid at night on cold starts for about 40-50 min will want to put out massive ammounts of white smoke, I don't really worry anymore since the trannys 3rd and 4th gear are gone...

white smoke = coolant leaking into the engine = BAD

Liscensed Auto Tech here:

Black or blue smoke on start up is oil....leaking valves or rings...= live with it.

Heavy white smoke is coolant thus a headgasket problem.

Light white "smoke" esp in cold weather is normal.

Get an oil and filter change with a good oil; 10w30 or thicker if you live in a warm climate (15w40 or 20w50).

Check the coolant level.

Let me know.

Cheers.

charles_scott said:
Wrong, if the coolant was leaking I would have noticed a drop in it's levels by now.

don't tell me i'm wrong. i've been working on cars more than half my life and have been driving them at least 4 years longer than you. it doesnt take much to create white smoke. if it's really as thick is you claim it is and there's no drop in the coolant level, a.) it's not white b.) it's just condensation pushing out of your exhaust (normal) c.) you're making the whole thing up d.) you don't know how to check your coolant level

it really doesn't take a whole lot of coolant to cause alot of smoke.... could just take a few drops and once it gets in your exhaust system, it will steam for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom