Put it into perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
gaara said:
I'm more interested in some of those really far out questions like where exactly a wormhole takes stuff and how far the universe really extends and what's on the "edge" of it if anything at all

It really does boggle the mind thinking about how long the universe has been around and how big it really is

I am also interested in Wormholes, Black Holes and Mathematical singularities.

Here are some reading for yoy. I think yourll Appreciate them.

CBR
Mathematical Singularity

Gravitational Singularity (Black Hole)

Worm Hole

Enjoy.

Ste said:
Not all elements are formed at a stars core, during a supernova Heavier elements are formed.

"Supernova explosions are the main source of all the elements heavier than oxygen, and they are the only source of many important elements. In standard cosmology, the Big Bang produced hydrogen, helium, and traces of lithium, while all heavier elements are synthesized in stars and supernovae. For example, all the calcium in our bones and all the iron in our hemoglobin were synthesized in supernova explosions, billions of years ago. Supernovae inject these heavy elements into the interstellar medium, ultimately enriching the molecular clouds that are the sites of star formation. Evidence from daughter products of short-lived radioactive isotopes shows that a nearby supernova helped determine the composition of the Solar System 4.5 billion years ago. Supernova production of heavy element over cosmic time ultimately made possible the chemistry of life on Earth."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernova

Btw "The Elegant Universe" is a great book.

Thats what I meant :) But one of the reasons that a star even goes supernova is because it has fused all of it's Hydrogen and Helium into some other element and it has nothing left to burn for energy. Thus the core collapses, causing the atmosphere to expand, and then the whole thing goes boom often resulting in a black hole where the core collapsed.

Actually, most of the CARBON in our body was made inside the nuclear fusion of a star :) So credit goes more to the star than the supernova.

Flanker said:
Thats what I meant :) But one of the reasons that a star even goes supernova is because it has fused all of it's Hydrogen and Helium into some other element and it has nothing left to burn for energy. Thus the core collapses, causing the atmosphere to expand, and then the whole thing goes boom often resulting in a black hole where the core collapsed.

Actually, most of the CARBON in our body was made inside the nuclear fusion of a star :) So credit goes more to the star than the supernova.

Yes, well Not all supernovas result in a black hole, some result in the formation of a Nuetron Star then A Quark Star.

Quark Stars

Stellar Evolution

Neutron Star

Black Hole (Linked Before as Gravitational Singularity)

I think I spent five hours On Wikipedia one night. :eek:

I am well aware of that. We both right. lol. I was simple informing others whom may not know what the other possibilities are.

:).

anything heavier than iron had to be formed inside a star or from a supernovae. Recent evidence suggests the heavier elements in your solar system came to be from a nearby supernovae that scientists never before thought existed.

Rather instresting that we keep finding more and more details about our past. It's also amazing that the further we look into space, the more we can learn about what happened in our neck of the woods. Because we are essentially looking back in time when we peer across our section of the universe.

Indeed, that Quasar 13 billion light years away...Its not a quasar anymore ;) It looked like that 13 billion years ago and the light just reached us, its probably a galaxy right now, haha.

Yea, its pretty amazing that we little things on a tiny little insignificant planet can even begin to understand such a vast amount of space. Somewhat depressing that all of mankind has been, and probably will be, just a sneeze in the cosmic lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom