Is providing a stream of live TV illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedman3d

Fully Optimized
Say i wanted to use a spare TV capture card and i managed to get a live stream up and running on the net of free live tv in Australia. Is it legal to do this or not?

if it's copywrited your breaking the law, if it's not (an you have to be sure) it's kinda grey.

Hmmm. I think this is the kind of thing i will just have to email one of the networks about.

It would be illegal. The material broadcasted over TV netowrks is paid for in some way. To rebroadcast it would be illegal. Since you do not have the epxress written concent of the copyright owner, namely the people who created and developed the TV show.

Thanks Mak but can anyone find any actual laws or anything concrete for me, i havent turned up anything. I would have thought it would be fine if the broadcast was 100% as shown on TV. As mssssee2 said, all their logos and ADS are still as they were.

I emailed FreeTV Australia and am awaiting a reply.

Zedman,

The logo that the TV stations put on the show is mainly for station identification. As we are having issues here with Time Warner and WIVB a local TV Station who will stop broadcasting on Time Warner cause they refuse to redo their contract.

The TV Companied pay a royality to the stations to have certain shows broadcast only over their network. Just like say Dell only works with Intel and Windows for so long. But along comes this change where they start with AMD and Linux. Intel scares Dell that they will pull their contrct cause they have a exclusive agreement.

This is basically the same situation. Even though it is "FreeTV" they still pay a small royality fee. In which they get rights to broadcast the TV shows and signal. This royality goes to the creators and studios that produce the shows.

You will have to most likely contact them in order to find out what you would have to do to be able to broadcast these shows over the internet. As many of them already have agreements with certain stations that provide online content. Just like SciFi or many of hte other stations.

This is why shows like Survivor, American Idol and that are only able to broadcast on a single station. Instead of them being able to be broadcast on every station at teh same time.

This is more than likely in the studio contracts with the stations more than a law. As these contracts are worked out for what stations will pay the money to play the show. Just like Futurama. It was on Cartoon Network for so long. But then Comedy Central bought the rights to it and now only they can play the re-runs and Cartoon Network had to pull it form the Adult Swim lineup.

Sorry for the babbling. But it isnt a easy thing to explain in a few short sentences. There are a few buisness laws that protect the studios and that against the shows being rebroadcast.

There is a few resources for this zedman if you google STC you will find some thing about copywrite.

We (the tech dept) did this in my high school. Our school got cable service, but rather than have a cable outlet in every room, we would stream some live shows via VLC to the rooms when they needed it. It was probably illegal in some form, but I really am not quite sure on that because if it were illegal my technology manager would not have initiated it. I think it all depends on the situation and type of contract. If you are streaming this to the web, probably illegal. Streaming to some other location within the same building, less likely to be illegal.

Surge i dont think your situation is illegal. The reason being is that you still had the rights to stream teh content. It is just how you went about it. School's dont haev the funds necessary to run cable to every room and it is far less convient to do so.

That situation would fall within legal rights to do what was done for that reason. You got the rights. You got Cable Service. But how you went about implementing it is different. You still paid for the rights to the media.

The situation with Zedman is that he wants to distribute the shows via streaming video without first having the proper rights.

Shows on public access would be fine. But shows that are on cable is a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom