Protein Drinks... Help Body Builders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCRMYZ

Banned
This is a long shot "this being a computer forum" and everything but i'm sure at least on person here works out and drinks protein shakes.

My question is are there any good ones out there?
I'm doing Muay Thai and MMA soon i've been conditioning.

I need a good one that doesnt taste like **** but is good for you.

Just like we say in greece "Αγαθά κόπης κτώνται" which metaphorically means that you have to try relally hard and suffer to achieve sth.

good ones....very subjective

most these days taste pretty good...the pure protein drinks
the ones that can taste funky are the compound ones, where it has XXX vitams/minerals/blah blah

your only other concern is if you want:
egg
whey
soy
or comboes of the afore...

also, just educate yourself on what YOU..MIGHT want to stay away from. Learn what can be classified as a protein, and decide if it's junk in your opinion.

IE., collagen and gelatin can be used as protein...and they are, but to me, it's junk.

Plus I'm a vegetarian so I don't do them...or try to stay away as much as I can :p

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey - Chocolate Mint

Isopure is good for you, but expensive

Muscle Milk is the best tasting protein out there, but its high in fats, it probably wouldnt help your conditioning.

Most powders are a mix of whey concentrate, whey isolate, and some other proteins like egg albumen...

If you're taking directly after working out then whey isolate will be the best selection. Its absorption rate is very rapid. Slower digesting proteins before you go to bed at night.

Stay away from soy. It will not benefit you in any way. I consider it a scam all together.

What are your goals? Muscle growth?

Muscle growth. That's exactly it. I just want something that tastes good, not something I force myself to drink. I'm 15 weighing out at 135. I'm conditioning for Mixed Martial Arts.

Any other thoughts or opinions. I appreciate it.

creatine isn't a protein
it has the effect of drawing in water...
this effect can allow you to obtain larger muscles...
it also helps to supply energy to muscles, allowing you to lift longer...

some think it has bad side effects....others do not

I think it is completely safe

and I am a believer in soy protein...it's a plant protein, lol. Nothing miraculous in it. Just like tofu. Some people hate it, macho guys I know hate it...for no other reason than it's not meat.

There is no real intelligent reason to not take soy protein. However, for bodybuilding sake, red meat protein has the added benefit of enhancing testosterone...so take it as you will.

I just happen to be one of the least macho guys you'll ever know. ;)

When I lifted hard and natural (and vegetarian), it is near impossible for anyone to obtain the same arm size I had without steroid enhancement. That could be genetics as well. There's no exaggeration there...but if i let my arms hang limp and no flexion, they were about 2 inches bigger than a 2 liter soda bottle...that's pretty good for a natural vegetarian bodybuilder...and only 5'9". :D

Soy has one of the lowest values on the protein bioavailability index - meaning gram per gram it doesnt stack up to whey and other quality proteins. Why even bother? It has been observed that soy will increase estrogen levels in males as well (bad for muscle building), though these studies tend to conflict. Also it has been linked to increase cancer risks in women.

here's a good read on why soy sucks:
Tragedy and Hype: The Third International Soy Symposium

Red meat, chicken and the cholesterol content have a relationship with muscle growth. It is important in the muscle building process. Eggs have high cholesterol too, they are one of the best proteins you could eat. Blood serum levels of cholesterol are not closely related to the cholesterol content in your food.

You need a good lifting regimine. Are you trying to gain weight? You probably need more calories than you're getting. Muscle milk might be a good choice for you. You could get a couple different kinds of protein to take at different times of the day.

I used to be big into powerlifting and bodybuilding. Just not something I could keep up working all the time. Hence the "iron" in the screen name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom