Power Outage - First Realtime Occurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

CntdwnToExtn

Fully Optimized
Whoot!
All systems powered down perfectly for the extended power outage we are having here.
First time it happened "in production".

I just love it when things come together.
Though...I still don't have power and only about 2 min left on my UPS...

The UPS's (and some systems can do it themselves) however we prefer to do it manually, just that extra precaution I guess. We'll take some extra time before powering them on, just to make sure the power is stable. We can afford to keep them off for 'x' amount of minutes when the power is restored. I mean, if we HAD to be up and running, we would have the power systems to keep us going in the first place aka natural gas (which my boss and I reeeeeeally want, but the owners just laugh at us hahahaha)

They wouldn't laugh if power was lost for days and you had to have those systems online. I know of several places, big and small that had no backup generators that depended upon 24/7 uptime, needless to say after an ice storm or two, and in some areas, with power outages lasting well over a month, a lot ordered some rather hefty backup generators that can run on natural gas, and diesel, depending upon the situation.

Heh, ya I know what you mean.
Stupid thing was, our 2 other divisions down the road 20km (both in the same building) still had power but couldn't access our 400 or corporate drives cause they were shut off. So we basically brought down the whole company. Yay! Mind you, there are procedures in place if the system isn't available for any reason, but still...

Sounds a lot like the company I used to work for. Their data canter (singular) was in Minnesota and was subject to losing power in winter for some reason. :p Anyway, when they went down the whole company went down. And this is a HUGE company with a global presence in several marketplaces. Oh, and their main hub was in Ohio... same thing.

To this day I cannot fathom why int eh world they set things up like that. No redundancy whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom