Potentially the longest thread in history...

Yeah not trying to be a debby downer, I just have met my share of idiot ceos who have no bloody clue in IT and overexpect to all hell as a result while trying to cost-cut on experience/quals/etc.
The "IT Manager" hired at my last job was a perfect example - was on 60k aud, didn't have any formal certs or training, just ~6 years experience doing an IT support role. The result was an utter **** show of mismanaged stuff. We lost terabytes of data one year thanks to no proper backups, we had HQ go down due to switch failures and wrote off the whole day (was esp FURIOUS about this one cause he basically paid 150 people a day's wage for no work). All because the CEO wanted to try and save 30k/yr. I left very shortly after that point :p

Last edited:
Well, that was new. Working a public holiday today, looked out my window and there's two homeless people screwing the **** out of each other outside :S suddenly not so hungry for my juicy chicken pieces.

Yeah not trying to be a debby downer, I just have met my share of idiot ceos who have no bloody clue in IT and overexpect to all hell as a result while trying to cost-cut on experience/quals/etc.
The "IT Manager" hired at my last job was a perfect example - was on 60k aud, didn't have any formal certs or training, just ~6 years experience doing an IT support role. The result was an utter **** show of mismanaged stuff. We lost terabytes of data one year thanks to no proper backups, we had HQ go down due to switch failures and wrote off the whole day (was esp FURIOUS about this one cause he basically paid 150 people a day's wage for no work). All because the CEO wanted to try and save 30k/yr. I left very shortly after that point :p
6 years in a support role but managed to severely screw that up. That's only a perfect example of why it's so hard to land any IT role period because of guys like that.

I dont really see how its that hard on the IT side at least. Either do it yourself, or delegate to someone on your team if they know it better. The only time where I can see stuff going wrong is if you need to do X and the company doesnt want to pay for it, like if you need to bring in a Cisco guy for a week that charges 500 a day and the business say nope. Well thats not really your fault anyway.

IMHO... they are asking for a lot. How large is this network?
maintenance and support of servers, laptops, Mobiles and printers
Office 365 Rollout
Design, Develop, implement and coordinate systems, policies and procedures
Ensure security of data
Managing and maintaining telephony systems
Do you know that you have anybody else available to manage? if so... how many? maybe somebody's bro-inlaw that just learned how to game?

IMHO... they are asking for a lot. How large is this network?

Do you know that you have anybody else available to manage? if so... how many? maybe somebody's bro-inlaw that just learned how to game?
As I was explaining before it's not a lot depending on how small the company is and how many users utilize all utilities/facilities at a time.

I dont really see how its that hard on the IT side at least. Either do it yourself, or delegate to someone on your team if they know it better. The only time where I can see stuff going wrong is if you need to do X and the company doesnt want to pay for it, like if you need to bring in a Cisco guy for a week that charges 500 a day and the business say nope. Well thats not really your fault anyway.

This is why during every interview I asked what networking equipment do they use. To my surprise of the 5 I went to 3 said Ubiquiti. Easier to maintain on a singular level due to their customer support and Elite system.

New Mac Pro: Hnng
New Pro XDR Display: HNNNNNNNNNNNG

999 for a stand tho, lmao.

In other news, today I have been busy. Decided to join the 3D Priting crowd. But Amazon goofed and delivered my order as two seperate deliveries, I got the printer at 10am and then the few upgrades and accessories at 5pm. So I had the printer sat around all day and I couldn't set it up, as I wanted to use the upgraded parts I had coming later in the day.

So while I was waiting I cleared out my entire room and went to the tip twice with a full car load. Absolutely knackered. It involved dismantling this huge electric recliner I had as there was no way it would fit in the car without being stripped down, so that alone took 2 hours. With my room being up two flights of stairs, I went up and down about 20 times loading stuff into my car and it almost killed me. I am crazy unfit.

Then I finally had the time later in the evening to assemble the printer. Quite nicely made for £200, and wasn't too bad to put together and configure. Took a couple of hours. All I have left to do now is setup the Raspberry Pi 3B+ with Octoprint and a webcam.

Last edited:
What in the flying **** is up with that aesthetic choice?! Getting some serious /r/trypophobia vibes and I ain't liking it one bit :S that sub is my nightmare

As I was explaining before it's not a lot depending on how small the company is and how many users utilize all utilities/facilities at a time.

Ya know, my current company is only ~55-60 users tops, we have a pretty simple list in the end and only 1 tiny remote office, but it somehow keeps all 4 IT staff pretty damn busy :confused:
I'm thinking they should replace all 4 of us with you, as we just don't understand how easy it is like you do :angel::p

Picked up my first fine today -_- parked in a reserved spot without seeing the sign (cause I reversed in, and the sign was way in the back on the wall covered in dirt/grime), was only there for 20 mins but the ticket guy must've been hiding just around the corner cause he pinged me a few mins after I parked. Asshat cost me $100 :mad:

Last edited:
What in the flying **** is up with that aesthetic choice?! Getting some serious /r/trypophobia vibes and I ain't liking it one bit :S that sub is my nightmare

Ya know, my current company is only ~55-60 users tops, we have a pretty simple list in the end and only 1 tiny remote office, but it somehow keeps all 4 IT staff pretty damn busy :confused:
I'm thinking they should replace all 4 of us with you, as we just don't understand how easy it is like you do :angel::p

Picked up my first fine today -_- parked in a reserved spot without seeing the sign (cause I reversed in, and the sign was way in the back on the wall covered in dirt/grime), was only there for 20 mins but the ticket guy must've been hiding just around the corner cause he pinged me a few mins after I parked. Asshat cost me $100 :mad:
Sarcasm aside that rolls right back to the use case I was talking about.

Look I'm not trying to be an arrogant dickbag about it, I just think you're trying to bend things to sway what I'm saying in your favor. You got companies that can have 200 people and only 15 machines with a single server setup or whatever then you can have a company with 100 people that all have machines, multiple servers, a virtual cluster, private networks, VPNs for telecommuting etc. Every company is different and I explained this in the post you clearly ignored. On top of that I can't speak for you or him, but I can speak from my own personal experience that it's relatively easy for me to work under pressure when I've got an atomic explosion of an issue going on while maintaining regular day to day. I did the work of a 12 man experienced team by myself every weekend for 2 years. Our user base was about 5,000 people worldwide including air force bases, connecting to 11 different nodes containing 44 different servers each managed differently on different networks. I was also the on staff networking/firewall person during these hours. We had to patch or upgrade every 2 weeks and with each one came a different disaster that wasn't properly QA'd that I'd have to work through. It's why the 12 of us got paid as good as we did. Managing IT for a 50-100 person company with a relatively small IT footprint would generally be cakewalk compared to that.

Edit: I should also mention that they haven't replaced me permanently either. The guy they did get last month lasted 2 weeks and quit.

Back
Top Bottom