Potentially the longest thread in history...

I can't relate to this either.

My family all live in separate time zones.

Never counted how much money I spend on my mom or keep score with my brother. I don't know what he spends on her or anything else, don't care. Mom rarely thanks me or shows appreciation or recuperates which is fine, that's not why I help and doesn't deter me.

Everyone in my family has more money than me.

No offense but how old are you? Are these real problems? If it bothers you the way they behave, might be time to pull back / limit your interaction with them. Not saying completely break away, but absence makes the heart grow fonder.

My brother turned into a yuppy elitist just like my dad. It causes me pain to be near them or really listen to them speak longer than ten minutes. I love them, but most of our sporadic conversation is email only, small talk.

People change, and some people are turds their entire lives. Your sister could fall into these categories. Sucks, but being a sibling doesn't mean a person is moral or empathetic or cares about anything besides themselves.

I sacrificed a lot to help my family and each time I ask for help or really even try to call or speak I'm shut out or cursed at and called names. There comes a time when you have to say it's enough and leave. Doesn't feel good but neither does being treated as a doormat, atm, chauffeur, etc either.

My sister's very similar.
Though her holier than thou attitude comes from her psychology degree rather than finances, etc ( I make ~3x what her and her husband make combined).

"You should be a vegetarian", "Be nicer to the planet" etc. Kind of like if I don't vote for Bernie Sanders I am literally scum.

She also absolutely despises the fact that I work for a company that makes literal killing machines. She thinks I'm a child who doesn't know what he's doing.

She also lives in Portland. Hipster Mecca, as my brother and I call it :lol:

She's a psychologist intern and he's a photographer.
I'm a sr. linux systems administrator and my girlfriend's a sr. systems engineer.

I just kinda ignore her :lol: I know I've made good decisions.

Anyways....
So... last night got my 2TB drive in
Installed EUFI+GRUB w/ an encrypted /boot partition. The only partition that isn't encrypted is the /efi partition -- I can set up checksum monitoring during boot to see if it's been tampered with. (I'm not actually concerned about this, I just use it as a learning exercise...)
Got plymouth-gdm and gnome-shell installed. Lutris, Steam, etc. 775 packages total (vs 1,994 on my last Ubuntu install).
Super clean, just a handful of partitions:
/efi (1GB), BIOS Boot partition (1M), 1 LUKS partition (1.9TB), which is then split out with LVM into the root partition and swap space.

Still on Xorg though. nVidia drivers (unless you're using nouveau) work like crap with Wayland. I can dream :tongue:

Now to wait patiently for my Dan A4 case.

The annoying thing about my sister is she didn't even get where she was because she tried hard. She got there because she applied to work in a government department that is 99.9% male and the UK Gov are desperate to fulfil there quotas of white/black/disabled/female/trans employees. I know this because she got a ****ty degree from a ****ty university with literally no relevence to the job she applied for. To be fair to her on this one thing, she basically admits it herself. Doesn't stop her preaching to me though.

My sister's very similar.
Though her holier than thou attitude comes from her psychology degree rather than finances, etc ( I make ~3x what her and her husband make combined).

"You should be a vegetarian", "Be nicer to the planet" etc. Kind of like if I don't vote for Bernie Sanders I am literally scum.

She also absolutely despises the fact that I work for a company that makes literal killing machines. She thinks I'm a child who doesn't know what he's doing.

She also lives in Portland. Hipster Mecca, as my brother and I call it :lol:

She's a psychologist intern and he's a photographer.
I'm a sr. linux systems administrator and my girlfriend's a sr. systems engineer.

I just kinda ignore her :lol: I know I've made good decisions.

Anyways....
So... last night got my 2TB drive in
Installed EUFI+GRUB w/ an encrypted /boot partition. The only partition that isn't encrypted is the /efi partition -- I can set up checksum monitoring during boot to see if it's been tampered with. (I'm not actually concerned about this, I just use it as a learning exercise...)
Got plymouth-gdm and gnome-shell installed. Lutris, Steam, etc. 775 packages total (vs 1,994 on my last Ubuntu install).
Super clean, just a handful of partitions:
/efi (1GB), BIOS Boot partition (1M), 1 LUKS partition (1.9TB), which is then split out with LVM into the root partition and swap space.

Still on Xorg though. nVidia drivers (unless you're using nouveau) work like crap with Wayland. I can dream :tongue:

Now to wait patiently for my Dan A4 case.
She sounds like your basic libtard idiot that memes talk about honestly.

I agree with PP. My brother lives in Taxachusetts and also feels the Bern haha.

I assume if bernie won, he would die, and it would be like weekend at bernies with the Clinton's or whoever using his corpse like a marionette to use his power as if he's alive.

Wouldn't be stranger than how things will actually turn out in the future.

And I agree with you iFargle they both seem like know it alls who have it all figured out. My brother is smart and got a hard degree from a good school in 4 years, worked 9-5 ever since. I'm older, never been able to say it about myself, probably never will be.

Oddly, everyone in my family is bothered by my lack of material last more than me. I've only had a large amount of money in the bank (5 figures) one time in my life and all it did was make me complacent.

Idk if I live a more frugal life I can lust after whatever I want. My brother lusted for money, earned a lot, attracted a gold digger who got knocked up, and he's basically made his bed.

So all the time I get to hear about how I need to mess up my life too haha. He's younger too, no respect.

But whatever, I would be very sad if they were dead or hurt and if someone did it on purpose I would live only to take revenge, possibly that same day.

Family is weird. I think the key is to grow and let go of worry about others and just grow and build inside. Focus on what good you can do for our universe. My family spent 2 generations just trying to survive and recover. It's time to grow. Not live a life defined by victimization, but to seize the capitalist opportunity currently availible, and build something.

Start within, then outside with fulfilling career and home ownership and all these things my brother tells me to decide on.

But just surviving and staying the same is a form of zombie like living death. Must..... Vote...... Democrat...... Braaaaaaaiiiiiiinnnnnsssss....!!!

Guess I'm lucky, I've got 4 bros and 4 sisters and a pretty good relationship with all of em. Not to say some relationships aren't 100% strange tho :p like with my older bro, religious af and basically doesn't exist outside his church circle. Makes it super hard to connect with him at all cause I can't relate to anything he does. But we're still friends

Guess I'm lucky, I've got 4 bros and 4 sisters and a pretty good relationship with all of em. Not to say some relationships aren't 100% strange tho :p like with my older bro, religious af and basically doesn't exist outside his church circle. Makes it super hard to connect with him at all cause I can't relate to anything he does. But we're still friends

Kinda weird how that happens ? everyone I know that is religeous is like that because their entire family is also very religious.

Back
Top Bottom