Potentially the longest thread in history...

I drive a hella lot, but the company provides the car, the gas, the insurance, the upkeep, and pays me by the hour to drive to and from the stores. It can still suck quite often, though.

I love the parts of my job that require me to travel :p I get reimbursed at a much higher rate than what I pay for my fuel, I don't have to take calls or other jobs while I'm driving. It's basically being paid a relative buttload to sit and do nothing in transit from A to B, do some easy work at site B, then get paid again to sit on my butt for the trip back. What's not to like!

And hey don't phrase it as 500 bucks a month, try $6000 extra a year. That's not a figure you sneeze out every day.
Also, your current job is doing zilch for your career. Srsly. Easy, laid back, non-challenging = stagnating m8, get moving.

Pre-tax it's basically £2k higher base salary, £5000 vehicle allowance (which is just paid monthly as extra cash ontop of your salary, and taxed the same too - so essentially your salary has an extra £5k), and then a £3000 bonus per year.

So after tax and spreading bonus across the year, I guess it's about an extra $700 a month disposable piss away income. Downside is this company follows the UK Gov guidance which is 11p a mile for fuel, but my car costs about 15p a mile to run. Though you can also claim a 45p tax deduction per mile which is worth about £900 off your tax bill per 10,000 miles.

I drive a hella lot, but the company provides the car, the gas, the insurance, the upkeep, and pays me by the hour to drive to and from the stores. It can still suck quite often, though.

Yeah I can take the option of getting a company car so they take car of insurance and tyres and such, but I already have a car sooo... I don't want two cars !

Last edited:
depends on what make and model the company car was but I would love that. I have a car, screw putting miles on mine needlessly. What company car do they give you? None of the cars I like a practical. It would be sweet to have a 4x4 pickup truck and a brz. The pickup doesn't have to be fancy don't need to pull a trailer or anything, just to have a vehicle with snow clearance thats cheap on insurance, and the brz for when I want to enjoy driving or need to be somewhere faster or for parking the truck isn't ideal.

This one is 5 years old, under $20k. New sticker is $26k I think.

43641789180.507629731.IM1.03.1600x1200_A.1600x1200.jpg

This place lets you choose from 1500 cars as a low level employee and 4500 as a director. So it's a pretty good choice, but they're all going to be < £30k cars at my level. Still decent though.

9 times out of 10 company cars will always be cheap economy cars.

Yep. I am driving a 2016 Kia Soul. It is at almost 212000 miles right now, still running like a champ. Had to have a coil pack replaced a few months ago and the catalytic converter makes the check engine light come on and off (fleet manager and check the cause through the GPS module they have in the car), but that's all we've done to it outside of regular maintenance- oli, brakes, tires, and whatnot.

Yep. I am driving a 2016 Kia Soul. It is at almost 212000 miles right now, still running like a champ. Had to have a coil pack replaced a few months ago and the catalytic converter makes the check engine light come on and off (fleet manager and check the cause through the GPS module they have in the car), but that's all we've done to it outside of regular maintenance- oli, brakes, tires, and whatnot.

I heard good things about Kia. They come with a 7 year warranty here.

2016 with 212,000 miles???? Jesus H Christ!

It had two miles on the odometer when I picked it up at the beginning of February 2016.

I heard good things about Kia. They come with a 7 year warranty here.

I think it is ten years/100K miles here. The only thing that is messed up on the car is the AM on the radio. There is a short or loose connection with the cable from the antenna to the radio somewhere in the roof of the car. It will lose all AM stations sometimes when you hit a bump in the road. If I am lucky it will fix itself when I hit another bump. Sometimes I can thump the roof and get it back, or ease over to the side of the road and catch the rumble strips and vibrate it back. Since I prefer to listen to talk radio I use the AM side the most, of course. I tried to take it in a couple of times when I first got it but it would be working by the time I got to the dealership. When I finally got it there while it was messed up they informed me that the sound system only had a 90 day warranty. >.<

90 day warranty ? what the hell. That doesn't even sound legal.

Gotta love car warranties, they only cover the parts that don't break -.- My friends brand new BMW's clutch (automatic transmission) broke in less than 2000 miles and they said nope, clutches are classed as consumables. What a joke.

Back
Top Bottom