Potentially the longest thread in history...

Missed the point then. Most companies when that happens there's at least some sort of reaction to fix the situation or at least some good PR bull**** they spew. Asus did naught.

compromised the Live Update servers of ASUS, making them push malware to thousands of computers configured to fetch and install updates automatically.

and informed ASUS by late-January. Kaspersky even sent a technically-sound representative to meet with ASUS in February. Kaspersky claims that ASUS has since been "largely unresponsive since then and has not notified ASUS customers about the issue."

They were notified and refused to digitally revoke a signed cert (according to a post) and essentially didn't care that a ton of their users using auto update for drivers were getting infected via their software and compromised servers. That's some seriously shady ****. They're basically like we make ROG we don't care. It's just more fuel to the fire that I was talking about during our large Asus convo here on the boards before.

Edit: It appears from posts that it's limited to their notebooks and that the attackers could get in through knowing the MAC addresses from other hacks on Asus. So with that knowledge those notebook people are ****ed because they can't change the MAC of their NIC unless they spoof. Guesstimating that most won't know how to do that let alone think of it.

Last edited:
Look at equifax. A scientist told them they were leaking online, where, how to patch. Then again. Then again. A long time went by, weeks, months, and he went to the media and it turns out they leaked everyone's info. Even people who don't have credit had a file and they leaked it out to someone bad. No fine. No one in jail. No apology. No proof any patch was ever put in place. Still in business. Any American late on their bills once gets to pay higher interest, higher car insurance. But the big boys can do whatever they want.

Any American late on their bills once gets to pay higher interest, higher car insurance. But the big boys can do whatever they want.
That's a mental trap set up by the banking industry..... Why is it that you can pay off a $20k car in 5 or 6 yrs but if it's a house security loan it's 15 or 30 yrs? Because it is a big scam to rip you off. Dave Ramsey has wrote several books and has video's on how you can avoid that "rip you off" bank trap. That way you (we) can tell these banks and their credit rating scam to go F*** themselves

..............* Reminds me to play the lottery tonight :confused:

Last edited:
Missed the point then. Most companies when that happens there's at least some sort of reaction to fix the situation or at least some good PR bull**** they spew. Asus did naught.

They were notified and refused to digitally revoke a signed cert (according to a post) and essentially didn't care that a ton of their users using auto update for drivers were getting infected via their software and compromised servers. That's some seriously shady ****. They're basically like we make ROG we don't care. It's just more fuel to the fire that I was talking about during our large Asus convo here on the boards before.

Edit: It appears from posts that it's limited to their notebooks and that the attackers could get in through knowing the MAC addresses from other hacks on Asus. So with that knowledge those notebook people are ****ed because they can't change the MAC of their NIC unless they spoof. Guesstimating that most won't know how to do that let alone think of it.

Add to the list of reasons for me to not buy Asus garbage.

Look at equifax. A scientist told them they were leaking online, where, how to patch. Then again. Then again. A long time went by, weeks, months, and he went to the media and it turns out they leaked everyone's info. Even people who don't have credit had a file and they leaked it out to someone bad. No fine. No one in jail. No apology. No proof any patch was ever put in place. Still in business. Any American late on their bills once gets to pay higher interest, higher car insurance. But the big boys can do whatever they want.

Pretty sure they did get fined, but it was a nominal one compared to the amount/sensitivity of the data that was leaked.

Asus garbage. Sheesh. You guys are harsh.

Never had any hardware complaints about any Asus product i've had from the numerous motherboards, to my GTX 970, to their PA32UC reference level monitor. They've all been really good.

Each to their own :p

edit:

Though their motherboard software is REALLY bad, I will say that much.

edit2:

I dunno why I wrote GTX 970. I've never owned a GTX 970. It was an Asus GPU of some sort.. really can't remember what model. 780Ti maybe ?

Last edited:

Never had any hardware complaints about any Asus product i've had from the numerous motherboards, to my GTX 970, to their PA32UC reference level monitor. They've all been really good.

edit:

edit2:

I dunno why I wrote GTX 970. I've never owned a GTX 970. It was an Asus GPU of some sort.. really can't remember what model. 780Ti maybe ?

Garbage in reference to the company themselves rather than their products. Their products are good when they work - but any customer service or (lately) software...garbage.

Fair enough. I don't really care about customer care, because I just buy from Amazon and Scan who handle returns anyway.

Only 30 days worth, tho. If something happens down the line for warranty...they're notorious for bad CS then.

edit:

edit2:

Harsh for a reason, listed off several in a recent discussion we all had about Asus. There's a reason a ton of people are moving away from Asus and why Youtube reviewers are being pushed ROG boards so much. I mean ****, I won't ever use board software nor will I have an Asus notebook but their incompetence and lack of care there spills into the DIY scene as well quite a bit. People push a blind eye to it "because it's Asus" or because "I've had these 3 products and they're fine". The internet disagrees. I've had over 20 Asus products, mainly motherboards, come across me in the past 2 years. That's not including my own Asus products and experience. There's a big reason I speak ill of that company.

Edit: Actually, I wouldn't mind so much if they treated their customers as well as they did personalities like Linus to make themselves look better.

Back
Top Bottom