Potentially the longest thread in history...

The only other thing I can think is I only have the 8pin CPU power plugged in, but there is also an extra 4pin power connector to plug in on this mobo, but the manual said it was optional. But maybe all the fans and RGB lighting and the jazz plugged in means I really do need it ? hmm.

Highly doubt it tbh, you'd have to be running a *lot*. The fans won't take more than a 1-2 watts max each, the led lighting can technically be run off a coin cell battery for a while, so comes down to what the other "jazz" is that you've got plugged in :p

That said, it does sound like a short or PSU issue to me as well

I'm so hung over rite now its unreal. Woke up and their was food and vomit every were. Heads banging. Half a bottle of Kentucky bourbon whisky gone.

Surgery recovery is still ongoing. I'm definitely into the "oh my god can I just go back to work already" stage, as this is my 5th week off.

Saw How to Train Your Dragon 3 at the cinema - a little bit too similar in formula to the other two but an excellent ending to the series.

Surgery recovery is still ongoing. I'm definitely into the "oh my god can I just go back to work already" stage, as this is my 5th week off.

Saw How to Train Your Dragon 3 at the cinema - a little bit too similar in formula to the other two but an excellent ending to the series.
I can say I'm right there with you on the work thing.

We all saw it too. THe others were very "meh" about it but by the time we left they all loved it.

Kman

With the fans and shut downs it sounds more like temps or board.

I dont really know what could be overheating.

The CPU is idling at < 50c and the GPU is idling at < 35c. There are like 10 temp sensors on the FTW3 card and even the VRM's or whatever they're called are only about 40c during idle.

Funnily enough it did this while I was at my dads house. It's not done it since I brought the PC home on Sunday, and I did about 5 hours straight of Fallout 76 last night without a glitch. Also left it idle for 5 hours and no power failure, and also was idle entirety of last night while I slept and it was fine this morning when I got up. I have had the RGB strips disabled since I got home, so maybe they are faulty.

This is one of those things that is gonna take me ages to get to the bottom of. Maybe it was just some dodgy electrical wiring at my dads house.

Last edited:

The CPU is idling at < 50c and the GPU is idling at < 35c. There are like 10 temp sensors on the FTW3 card and even the VRM's or whatever they're called are only about 40c during idle.

Funnily enough it did this while I was at my dads house. It's not done it since I brought the PC home on Sunday, and I did about 5 hours straight of Fallout 76 last night without a glitch. Also left it idle for 5 hours and no power failure, and also was idle entirety of last night while I slept and it was fine this morning when I got up. I have had the RGB strips disabled since I got home, so maybe they are faulty.

This is one of those things that is gonna take me ages to get to the bottom of. Maybe it was just some dodgy electrical wiring at my dads house.

Sounds like a likely culprit to me. Fluctuating power can does some funky stuff.

Sounds like a likely culprit to me. Fluctuating power can does some funky stuff.
Fluctuating voltage will kill PSUs actually if it's too harsh. It's why a lot of us run a UPS to condition the power before going into the PC.

Also, 50c idle temp is way warm. My buddies 2700x max load is 61c on air.

Back
Top Bottom