Potentially the longest thread in history... - Page 5673 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Member's Area > Off Topic Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #56721 (permalink)
AR ML AI <3

Default Re: Potentially the longest thread in history...

Seems like everyone works at a company more reasonable than the one I work at. Maybe it's a hint lol...

AMD Ryzen 2700X
Corsair RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra
WD Blue 250GB SSD / WD Blue M2 500GB SSD / SanDisk 240GB SSD / Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
WD Black 2TB HDD
Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470
Seasonic 860w Platinum PSU
Corsair 750D ATX Tower
Sony Bravia X900F 49" 4K HDR Monitor

kmanmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #56722 (permalink)

I absolutely LOVE my new place. 40 hour work weeks... Every other Friday off... a really nice on site cafe that's walking distance from my classified desk... It's really nice.

- iFargle.com -
Desktop || 7700k 32GB RAM 512GB 960 Pro GTX 1080 DAN A4v4 Arch Linux
Laptop || 2018 15" MacBook Pro 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Radeon Pro 555X macOS
128GB OnePlus 6 64GB iPad Air 2 || Battle.net: iFargle #1561 Steam: iFargle
iFargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #56723 (permalink)
AR ML AI <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFargle View Post
I absolutely LOVE my new place. 40 hour work weeks... Every other Friday off... a really nice on site cafe that's walking distance from my classified desk... It's really nice.
I guess that is one pro where I work. 35 hour weeks and 33 days annual leave.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #56724 (permalink)

^ I got used to the SpaceX 50-60 hour work weeks 40 feels like I'm perpetually on vacation

- iFargle.com -
Desktop || 7700k 32GB RAM 512GB 960 Pro GTX 1080 DAN A4v4 Arch Linux
Laptop || 2018 15" MacBook Pro 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Radeon Pro 555X macOS
128GB OnePlus 6 64GB iPad Air 2 || Battle.net: iFargle #1561 Steam: iFargle
iFargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #56725 (permalink)
AR ML AI <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFargle View Post
^ I got used to the SpaceX 50-60 hour work weeks 40 feels like I'm perpetually on vacation
Yeah **** that. To be honest i'm just not someone who likes hard work

But speaking of all this work stuff, I just got a phone interview confirmed for the position of Professional Services Engineer at an MSP in a city nearbye. It is probably going to be a pass, as it's a 36 mile commute each way, and I am not sure they will pay enough to make it worthwhile. It's a decent payrise from my current position, but whether it's enough to make 2x commute length worth it idk. But it sounds like a cool company, they have a games room, takeaway pizza fridays, paid work entertainment events, free Microsoft and Cisco cert training and a 4k pay rise for each new cert you get. So it would probably a good career move.

Anyway I am getting ahead of myself, I probably won't even get the job.

AMD Ryzen 2700X
WD Blue 250GB SSD / WD Blue M2 500GB SSD / SanDisk 240GB SSD / Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
WD Black 2TB HDD
Corsair 750D ATX Tower

Old 02-11-2019, 07:19 PM   #56726 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

I'm finding increasing dissatisfaction with my old work ethic just feel..itchy kinda. I'm tired of wasting so much time doing completely unmemorable ****. I feel like if I'd been paying more attention over the last few years, my life could've been very very different. Not keen on letting so many opportunities slip by again due to laziness
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:49 AM   #56727 (permalink)
AR ML AI <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
I'm finding increasing dissatisfaction with my old work ethic just feel..itchy kinda. I'm tired of wasting so much time doing completely unmemorable ****. I feel like if I'd been paying more attention over the last few years, my life could've been very very different. Not keen on letting so many opportunities slip by again due to laziness
I think that is probably true of most white collar jobs, especially IT. I could've came straight out of my apprenticeship at 19 and just powered thru Cisco/Microsoft certs and be earning 70 to 80k right now, even more if I did contracting. But that is just not me and I don't beat myself up over it. Some people love powering through their career and they get that sweet monetary reward, and good for them. But mentally I just couldn't do it, I lack the confidence to have a fast moving career and I really hate the instability and anxiety around getting new jobs, doing tests, meeting new people. I have to do things a bit slower or i'll have a heart attack. It's been 5/6 years now and I feel like I am ready to progress into something new and move to a new city.

AMD Ryzen 2700X
WD Black 2TB HDD
Corsair 750D ATX Tower

Old 02-12-2019, 05:44 AM   #56728 (permalink)
Lord Techie

There's definitely a point to be made about setting your own pace and working within it, can't disagree there
I'd add tho that I think people definitely don't take all the best personal growths steps they could (even those only within their capabilities), even sometimes in the face of conscious recognition of this fact in the moment. How much of that is "you being you" vs just being lazy? I reckon I've been too lazy

Or to put it another way; is life worth hanging around for just to work a ****e job, have a ****e body, have ****e friends, and live every day monotonously covered in cheezles dust fraggin noobs in CS?
If I'm gonna stick around after all then **** it I guess, may as well try to aim for something better than that
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 02-12-2019, 05:52 AM   #56729 (permalink)
AR ML AI <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
There's definitely a point to be made about setting your own pace and working within it, can't disagree there
I'd add tho that I think people definitely don't take all the best personal growths steps they could (even those only within their capabilities), even sometimes in the face of conscious recognition of this fact in the moment. How much of that is "you being you" vs just being lazy? I reckon I've been too lazy
For me I am not sure if it is laziness. I guess you could interpret it as that, and for sure I am lazy in some aspects of life. But the main problem for me is that I am the opposite of studious. I am capable of doing well in exams and such, but I just can not concentrate when studying. I have friends that have no issue getting home after Uni or work and studying for 4 hours. I just couldn't do that, not so much because I can't be bothered, but I find it so insanely boring within 5 minutes I am desperate to do literally ANYTHING other than studying, so before I know it I am on my phone, browsing the web, on reddit etc. I am just very very poor at paying attention when i'm bored. Something has to really interest me to hold my attention. My dad even used to pay me 10 an hour to study after school when I was about 14. I still couldn't do it for more than 30 minutes even with money dangling in front of me.

AMD Ryzen 2700X
WD Black 2TB HDD
Corsair 750D ATX Tower

Old 02-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #56730 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If we used your situation as an example, I'd say the "I can't concentrate or study" part is a bit you're being lazy with. You certainly can concentrate, but you give in to the temptation to do something easier with basically no resistance, to the point that you are trying to tell me that doing so is just "who you are" as if you don't have a choice in it.

People like to chalk up others abilities to "oh they're just naturally good at that", which is friggin insulting to the person who's putting in far more hard yards than you to BE that good at that thing tbh. Whether that's a skill like basketball, or a skill like being able to apply yourself for long periods, it's something that comes with and gets better with practice; you won't ever get better if all you do is offer yourself constant excuses and accept those excuses instantly with a shrug towards "that's just not me".

In your case again, it's not like your phone magics itself into your hands and opens reddit for you...