Potentially the longest thread in history...

Currently on a vendor meeting that's been going on for three hours. The joys of 24x7 work.

Do you really have the need for 3 let alone 1?

I was curious to play around with them. Thought it would be a good experience and something to get my teeth in too and something to keep me going on my network.

Truth be known probably not but it would be fun to see what I can learn from them and what I can do with them. With supporting hardware VPN Encryption I was curious more than anything just to see what they could do.

I don't know what I should do now.

We have the 1941 at work, never had an issue with them. Very realiable, and supports VPN for all our depots that works perfectly.

But I don't know why you'd need three of them :p

On your 1941 s at work do you have the Memory Compact Flash Card along with using a serial cable?

As for three I don't but that's just what he had in the advert listed. I looked them up on Amazon and they were ranging from 350 too the likes of £800 for one unit. Some had a bundle with them such as WiFi cards and serial console cables ect: But I did notice that the Compact flash was like £100 for the likes of a 1Gib card.

Also kman do you run official CISCO software on yours at work ? I ask because I'm not sure if their is some sort of bare minimum OS installed or if I need to run the CISCO OS on a CF Card to get the unit up and running.

I know nothing about them.

Last edited:
I was curious to play around with them. Thought it would be a good experience and something to get my teeth in too and something to keep me going on my network.

Truth be known probably not but it would be fun to see what I can learn from them and what I can do with them. With supporting hardware VPN Encryption I was curious more than anything just to see what they could do.

I don't know what I should do now.

On your 1941 s at work do you have the Memory Compact Flash Card along with using a serial cable?

As for three I don't but that's just what he had in the advert listed. I looked them up on Amazon and they were ranging from 350 too the likes of £800 for one unit. Some had a bundle with them such as WiFi cards and serial console cables ect: But I did notice that the Compact flash was like £100 for the likes of a 1Gib card.

Also kman do you run official CISCO software on yours at work ? I ask because I'm not sure if their is some sort of bare minimum OS installed or if I need to run the CISCO OS on a CF Card to get the unit up and running.

I know nothing about them.

They run Cisco iOS which is NOTHING to do with Apple iOS on iPhones, they just have the same name.

It's a command line interface to set it up.

This gives a brief overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnkU3lx08G4

Currently spending the weekend in Pigeon Forge, TN with my wife. We are a week early but we are celebrating our 32nd anniversary. We are using a time share so we are staying in what is basically a one bedroom apartment for free. Been doing a little shopping and have hit up a couple of good places to eat so far. It's just good to get away alone with no work and no worries.

So I have been looking at this router from my ISP and oh the Joys of being your own network administrator.

So I figure because I'm running static IPs on all my machines I'm going to have to disable all my network interfaces first then swap out the router .

I looked at the router I have now and it has a WAN port being the new one from my ISP. I don't fully understand sub-nets so I mite post on that because I'm wanting to set one up.

Currently spending the weekend in Pigeon Forge, TN with my wife. We are a week early but we are celebrating our 32nd anniversary. We are using a time share so we are staying in what is basically a one bedroom apartment for free. Been doing a little shopping and have hit up a couple of good places to eat so far. It's just good to get away alone with no work and no worries.

We spent out honeymoon in the Gatlinburg area.
Has that area changed much since they had those fires?

Last edited:
We spent out honeymoon in the Gatlinburg area.
Has that area changed much since they had those fires?

We just literally drove up around Gatlinburg about 30 minutes ago. None of the damage was along the main strip. You can still see where things burned but most structures have been rebuilt or is in the process thereof. A few of the smaller places haven't, though. If you didn't know that a fire had came through you wouldn't really notice it.

Back
Top Bottom