Potentially the longest thread in history...

If 99% of people were better at using tech he'd be out of a job :p no need to employ IT helpdesk staff if everyone knows what they're doing.
Just because people have some common sense when it comes to using everyday things doesn't mean everybody would still have the knowhow of fixing complicated issues or erecting full systems. Idk how many times I heard that argument at work and it makes no sense. Like people can use their head and figure out how to make a new PST while still not needing to know how to run an Exchange server. People can know how to Google simple issues without needing to know (or have long term experience with) troubleshooting complicated issues like dll issues, programs crashing, etc. But when you put in a ticket because you didn't turn your computer on and the monitor is blank.....give me a break. When you put in a ticket because "you can't for the life of you figure out how you can't sign in" because you ignored the change your password warning for 15 days.....be real. Or how about "My Skype always is on away and won't change"....uh because you set it to show away, change it back to online. Not to mention all the other basic common Windows tasks that have been around since like Vista that people still can't seem to figure out because it's "Windows 10". As somebody in IT I know you know exactly the kind of dumb crap I'm talking about. People turn into complete morons the instant they sit behind a computer and it's always "Well I'm not very good with computers". Yo I wasn't very good with cars either but hey I took the time out of my life to figure out stuff and here we are. I'm not good at cooking either but damn man I can sure Google how to figure it out though. Then there's that too, the basic concept that's been around since like 2006 "looking it up on Google". 90% of what I know came from a Google search and a few minutes of my time to learn instead of being bottle fed how to do simple tasks.

Edit: I guess I can take a moment to continue the rant with today's youth. Why is it these damn kids want a ****ing phone at an early age but can't understand the basic concept of looking something up? 11 year old in my house comes home with homework and doesn't know what a simile is. I say to use your resources to try and figure it out and if you still don't understand ask. She looks at me with a dumb look on her face, then her mom says he means Google it. Two mornings ago she asks her mom if it's going to be cold and her mom turns around with that "really ni***" face on and says "You have a damn weather app on your phone". Infuriates me. I had to ride my bike to the damn library to use the internet to look stuff up constantly whether it was school related or home related. Print that **** out then bring it home. Worst part is, it's not just the youth that is this way, I know people my age that do the same thing.

Last edited:
Just because people have some common sense when it comes to using everyday things doesn't mean everybody would still have the knowhow of fixing complicated issues or erecting full systems. Idk how many times I heard that argument at work and it makes no sense. Like people can use their head and figure out how to make a new PST while still not needing to know how to run an Exchange server. People can know how to Google simple issues without needing to know (or have long term experience with) troubleshooting complicated issues like dll issues, programs crashing, etc. But when you put in a ticket because you didn't turn your computer on and the monitor is blank.....give me a break. When you put in a ticket because "you can't for the life of you figure out how you can't sign in" because you ignored the change your password warning for 15 days.....be real. Or how about "My Skype always is on away and won't change"....uh because you set it to show away, change it back to online. Not to mention all the other basic common Windows tasks that have been around since like Vista that people still can't seem to figure out because it's "Windows 10". As somebody in IT I know you know exactly the kind of dumb crap I'm talking about. People turn into complete morons the instant they sit behind a computer and it's always "Well I'm not very good with computers". Yo I wasn't very good with cars either but hey I took the time out of my life to figure out stuff and here we are. I'm not good at cooking either but damn man I can sure Google how to figure it out though. Then there's that too, the basic concept that's been around since like 2006 "looking it up on Google". 90% of what I know came from a Google search and a few minutes of my time to learn instead of being bottle fed how to do simple tasks.

Preachin' to the choir my dude. One of the reasons I decided to leave IT work, was having to deal with all of the "common issues" that people repeatedly had. Now of course I have to do the same thing with co-workers, but just with programming and DevOps :rolleyes:.

Preachin' to the choir my dude. One of the reasons I decided to leave IT work, was having to deal with all of the "common issues" that people repeatedly had. Now of course I have to do the same thing with co-workers, but just with programming and DevOps :rolleyes:.
I don't have to deal with that level of idiocy anymore but more of a higher tier of it. But yea I'm on my way out too, quicker than I wanted but a way out is a way out. Doesn't mean I still won't see the same kind of incompetence on a daily basis though.

Just because-snip-

Ja ofc I understand there's dumb *** users. The way I look at it though, if you're constantly serving the same user for the same issue and all you do is complain about it under your breath, then there's 2 morons in the equation :p I make sure to remind the user if we've covered this before as a not-so-subtle hint that they should've remembered the fix or written it down. If they continue I send a report to their manager and mine saying just so you know, user X is constantly lodging tickets about their PC not working when they haven't even turned it on yet, it's interrupting me from other projects and tickets I need to action.

Don't needlessly torture yourself AND waste the company's time.

Preachin' to the choir my dude. One of the reasons I decided to leave IT work, was having to deal with all of the "common issues" that people repeatedly had.

^And that's the right response; don't like it, leave :p it's pretty simple. Tbh I couldn't give a **** whether I'm being paid to find/fix a corrupt DLL or tell Bob how to open Word, I get paid the same and it's a chance to get to know Bob a bit more and secure my position in the company that little bit more.
My most recent pay rise was granted so easily because the GM said she's noticed that everyone in the company feels free to come to me with whatever IT issue they have at all, and I try my best to make sure they're educated on how to find the solution, not just what the specific fix was that time.

Buuut anyway, blown a little out of original proportion :p I was having a grumpy night sorry kman, didn't mean to imply anything. I'm just extra-triggered by my little bum of a brother atm lol, quit his job and signed up to centrelink (welfare) while he's still 2 weeks behind in rent and says he's gonna "start looking for a job". Well...you've been saying you were "looking for a job" for the last 1.5 years m8...****ing hell -_- pretty sure I'm gonna have to kick him out at some point. He needs some sort of kick up the *** that's for sure.

Can anyone answer this question?

Whats the deal with knock off hardware .. Seriously.

I didn't even know you could get copied hardware what I think is mainly from the likes of China until I started watching Linus Tech Tips .

What is this like, is it any good and if you purchase a knock off GPU say, do these cards actually preform or do they have any issues ?

Ja ofc I understand there's dumb *** users. The way I look at it though, if you're constantly serving the same user for the same issue and all you do is complain about it under your breath, then there's 2 morons in the equation :p I make sure to remind the user if we've covered this before as a not-so-subtle hint that they should've remembered the fix or written it down. If they continue I send a report to their manager and mine saying just so you know, user X is constantly lodging tickets about their PC not working when they haven't even turned it on yet, it's interrupting me from other projects and tickets I need to action.

Don't needlessly torture yourself AND waste the company's time.

^And that's the right response; don't like it, leave :p it's pretty simple. Tbh I couldn't give a **** whether I'm being paid to find/fix a corrupt DLL or tell Bob how to open Word, I get paid the same and it's a chance to get to know Bob a bit more and secure my position in the company that little bit more.
My most recent pay rise was granted so easily because the GM said she's noticed that everyone in the company feels free to come to me with whatever IT issue they have at all, and I try my best to make sure they're educated on how to find the solution, not just what the specific fix was that time.

Buuut anyway, blown a little out of original proportion :p I was having a grumpy night sorry kman, didn't mean to imply anything. I'm just extra-triggered by my little bum of a brother atm lol, quit his job and signed up to centrelink (welfare) while he's still 2 weeks behind in rent and says he's gonna "start looking for a job". Well...you've been saying you were "looking for a job" for the last 1.5 years m8...****ing hell -_- pretty sure I'm gonna have to kick him out at some point. He needs some sort of kick up the *** that's for sure.
Can't say about his place but where I'm still currently employed for a little bit longer you can't do that. Like you can get in trouble if you try to actually help yourself in that manner because it can come off as "disrespectful".

Oh yea, got cheated on again. I've known about it 2.5 weeks now, just laid the hammer down lol.

Yeah gotta be careful how you word it. If I was at all concerned about appearing disrespectful I'd change it to a question that I'm asking my boss
e.g. "Hi boss, user X has lodged 3 tickets for their PC not working, each time I found the monitor was just turned off. I've communicated the fix to the user, however they seem to still be struggling with it as they are continuing to lodge tickets for the same issue. Could you please advise if there is any action you'd recommend I take?

etc.

Also sucks about the gf :/ pretty harsh 180. Know dem feels

Jesus, you're all talking about PC issues i have to help my grandma with, what are these people doing :lol:

And that sucks PP, hope you're alright

Yeah gotta be careful how you word it. If I was at all concerned about appearing disrespectful I'd change it to a question that I'm asking my boss
e.g. "Hi boss, user X has lodged 3 tickets for their PC not working, each time I found the monitor was just turned off. I've communicated the fix to the user, however they seem to still be struggling with it as they are continuing to lodge tickets for the same issue. Could you please advise if there is any action you'd recommend I take?

etc.

I don't do this because the managers here are often just as ****ing retarded as the people below them. So it's just a fruitless endeavour trying to teach any of them anything. I've worked here long enough to know the users that are worth helping and the ones who are just knuckle dragging troglodytes who are beyond learning.

Infact the two most difficult people I deal with every day are the Regional Ops Director and the HR Director. The HR Director is and old women who, on a daily basis, says **** like "can I just go back to pen and paper, this technology ruins my day every day". I am not going to give someone like that the time of day.

The problem for where I work is the office is based in the poorest most deprived part of the city, and see attracts the people that live here. No offence to them, I am not "anti poor" or anything, but the fact is most of them are just dumb, and worse than that, lazy and ignorant. This company has terrible hiring standards for lower end jobs. Our telemarketing team had to come upstairs one time and ask IT what an exclamation mark was because NONE of them knew, after they were told a password had "an exclamation mark on the end of it". This is the standard I am dealing with here. The last place I worked was DHL head office, and that was much better. It was full of educated qualified people doing higher up jobs, 95% of the people there were as smart or me and smarter, quite a few were far smarter. It was great because you got a phone call about an issue and it was actually a genuine ****ing issue.

Last edited:

etc.

The problem with this is going to the manager or the user either way it's downtalking the user in their eyes.

Jesus, you're all talking about PC issues i have to help my grandma with, what are these people doing :lol:

And that sucks PP, hope you're alright
I'm fine, as I've known what was going on for over two weeks now. She didn't physically cheat on me either time, but still might as well have. I've had this whole time to make a big *** example and then laid the hammer yesterday to the point that she got so scared she left work, waited for me to leave me house, pulled in, and I was like "Ah, was waiting for me outside the house huh". Scared the **** out of her cause she was like how the hell did you know I walked into the house already. Then there was some back and forth and finally she admitted defeat cause I had it ALL on her. Every bit, down to exactly when they were talking. Remember Kman about me being so observant? Yea, I even gave her the exact mannerisms she did when she was texting him while sitting on the couch next to me down to how she held her phone, her posture, how she'd change her thumbs and hands to hide the phone, and cross her leg for a "lean". Told her exactly when I found out and how I knew just from her actions alone. Not so dumb anymore is it :lol::lol:
At first she was shocked and was like you're way too damn smart why did you even consider being with me, then she went into apology and begging for forgiveness mode. She was going to pack up and go, but I decided to play some games with him first because I'm an *******.

Back
Top Bottom