Potentially the longest thread in history...

Ehh that's kinda obvious dude. Did you never learn networking 101 ?
Device showing disconnected like a cable unplugged >> changing transmit buffer to fix issue.....obvious.

Network admins at work above me, Asus support, Ubiquiti support, various forums, internet know it alls, best friend with networking degrees, not a single one suggested that setting. Every single person I talked to rambled about drivers, motherboard PCI-E slots, cables, switch, jumbo frames, flow control, energy-efficient ethernet, power states, and link speeds but not a single person mentioned transmit buffer. I'd say it wasn't that obvious. I have a feeling this dude was dicking around with settings and stumbled across it.

To make matters weirder, my motherboard uses the exact same chipset and defaults to the same 4096 with 0 issues but these cards wouldn't light up with it. Even weirder, one card decided to go back to disconnected state and won't come back up no matter what I do, but the other in my NAS is working perfectly.

Device showing disconnected like a cable unplugged >> changing transmit buffer to fix issue.....obvious.

Network admins at work above me, Asus support, Ubiquiti support, various forums, internet know it alls, best friend with networking degrees, not a single one suggested that setting. Every single person I talked to rambled about drivers, motherboard PCI-E slots, cables, switch, jumbo frames, flow control, energy-efficient ethernet, power states, and link speeds but not a single person mentioned transmit buffer. I'd say it wasn't that obvious. I have a feeling this dude was dicking around with settings and stumbled across it.

To make matters weirder, my motherboard uses the exact same chipset and defaults to the same 4096 with 0 issues but these cards wouldn't light up with it. Even weirder, one card decided to go back to disconnected state and won't come back up no matter what I do, but the other in my NAS is working perfectly.

Successful troll confirmed, 10 points to me :D

Thought that might trigger you :p

Has to make sense first for it to be successful. I was sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out how a memory buffer would be obvious to a disconnected state. Since one of the cards decided to poop on me again I was hoping you'd have an answer to a brain fart or something. As much as I'd rather have the Intel cards I really don't want to drop the cash on them since I'm trying to legalize my Mustang which would cost about the same.

FR though, this is really becoming frustrating. I've never had so many issues with networking gear before, but I mainly place the blame on Aquantia. They don't even have matching options for the exact same chipsets across hardware. Even the Microsoft driver has more options available than the official Aquantia and Asus drivers.

Edit: Unless you were just trying to trigger some sort of response, I guess then it'd be successful but honestly just want to fix this stupid issue.

Edit2: Oh yea, and 1803 is now super aggressive with updates. Windows for sure turns the update service back on and disabling it no longer is the trick. Gotta change user to .\guest.

Last edited:
I suspect it was intended to be satirical; obviously buffer size has absolutely no immediate correlation with a network cable showing as unplugged :p

But that's good to know actually, I've got a computer with the same issue. 99/100 it's been a ****ty eth cable with a loose wire somewhere, but this time not :/

I suspect it was intended to be satirical; obviously buffer size has absolutely no immediate correlation with a network cable showing as unplugged :p

But that's good to know actually, I've got a computer with the same issue. 99/100 it's been a ****ty eth cable with a loose wire somewhere, but this time not :/
Well ya, he did say he thought it might trigger me.

Now to be fair to him, when it DID randomly work, it correlated to dropped upload connections and whatnot. The dude on Newegg said it was causing the NIC to not grab an IP. I think I've debunked that theory because even with the new setting it's still not working. I'm starting to think it's that particular machine but I haven't rebooted my NAS to see if a reboot causes that NIC to go bananas too. It's working so don't want to touch it. I can confirm it does solve WAN side issues with these cards and sluggish internal performance.

Been having strange issues of my own the past couple days. My work laptop - a Dell Latitude 7480 with a SanDisk M.2 X400 - has started completely freezing up or otherwise crashing such that a hard reset is required. This includes getting full I/O errors, and being unable to load basically anything from the drive; it seems that anything in RAM is fine and accessible, but as soon as any disk read is required, things start crashing (including Windows Explorer). This only starts happening when the device comes out of sleep, so I'm suspecting that the drive isn't coming back from Sleep properly. IT's solution? Disable Sleep entirely and make do.

Yeah... no. Completely having to power everything down

My initial suspicion has been that the drive isn't handling its sleep states right - getting stuck on D1 or D2 and not turning fully on, whether that be the fault of the OS, BIOS, or drive itself. Looking in the drive's properties under "Power data" it only supports D0 and D3 (entirely on, or entirely off) so it could be that the OS or BIOS is trying communicate with something it expects to be on D1 or D2? (FYI, when I was talking to the IT guy, he seemed to have no clue what I was talking about, and doesn't seem to understand that devices have their own sleep and power states).

The drive and laptop firmware are fully up to date.

It could one of many things in the chain - the Intel host controller, for example, but I'm starting to be a bit in the rabbit hole here. When I have a bit of time I'll test turning off various Sleep settings in the BIOS and attempt returning from Sleep; I'll eventually find if it's actually a Sleep state or something else.

Edit: After googling, the freezing issue seems prevalent on the E74xx series of Dell Latitudes, which all use the SanDisk X400 M.2.

Last edited:
Tempted to do some tuning to do some small tunes to my bike to get it over 550bhp per tonne :cool: It's at about 530 atm so I could probably hit that with a new exhaust, air filter etc.

Tempted to do some tuning to do some small tunes to my bike to get it over 550bhp per tonne :cool: It's at about 530 atm so I could probably hit that with a new exhaust, air filter etc.

Once I'm on a proper bike I'll probably tune it for quietness rather than performance :p My GF says it's not worth the effort but it's the sort of optimisation that I enjoy the most

Back
Top Bottom