Potentially the longest thread in history...

Well boys, my head is so far up my back end its unreal.

Installing Ubuntu 18.4 is no mean feet and trying to get my head around the new way of doing thing with how the system handles network connections is unreal.

They have ditched network manager all together and trying too figure this out on a headless server with internet disconnects is unreal when you have very little to no knowledge of Ubuntu and their new software packages.

Think I'll install one more time and this time get it rite. I've been threw about half a dozen installs trying out different configurations and running in too problems all over the place.

Next time as I now know what I'm doing too an extent with the likes of ssh, and xubuntu-desktop. It will be done proper.

And not too mention a screwed up partition doesn't help when its the wrong file table. Honestly man.

Its been one of those nights.

:sleep:

When I go full skitzo I'll be on here having conversations with myself in 2039 :p YOU CAN'T MAKE ME LEAVE
...but yeah they'll probably shut her down soon :/ we need a new longest thread on a more agnostic site, tbh it's pretty much what I use TF for these days :grin:

Been a good week so far though, finished up our new exchange signature script so we can finally generate all the signatures for 3 different companies + SendAs sigs automagically, plus added extra features like setting separate templates for different depts if required. Pretty pleased to move away from our ****ty old vbs solution!

Seeing as there's no mention of the site becoming GDPR compliant, and the fact it generates some if any revenue, or at least, attempts to... Not sure how much longer the owner plans to keep it open. Gonna suck when it goes baibai... So many wrong turns.

Also, I severely HATE the new PFSense forum, they say it's quicker... Sure, if you're on a land connection, otherwise it's total crap.

I come here basically just for the Longest and What You've Just Bought threads. I've started to use the Discord more often. Working in the 0th Line Tech Support mines isn't as fun as when I was 16, especially since I'm actually working in a tech support job now.

It will indeed be a shame when it goes - I hope it at least lasts until the end of the year as I'll have been here for a decade! I do owe a lot to this forum and you guys actually, it really honed my troubleshooting and logic skills and was a foundation for lot of what I ended up doing, including uni!

Last edited:
Holy ****, I didn't even realise it'd been a decade :p but ditto to pretty much everything you said lol. 16 to 27 dayum...still feels like just yesterday I was sitting in Tafe next to Nitestick after seeing him on the forums telling him I'd make the Mod team soon :grin: back when posts per day was a hot statistic/competition

When I go full skitzo I'll be on here having conversations with myself in 2039 :p YOU CAN'T MAKE ME LEAVE
...but yeah they'll probably shut her down soon :/ we need a new longest thread on a more agnostic site, tbh it's pretty much what I use TF for these days :grin:

Been a good week so far though, finished up our new exchange signature script so we can finally generate all the signatures for 3 different companies + SendAs sigs automagically, plus added extra features like setting separate templates for different depts if required. Pretty pleased to move away from our ****ty old vbs solution!

You realise you can do that in Exchange Mail Flow rules as “add a disclaimer to the end of emails” and then just add exceptions so the signature doesn't double up on replies and forwards. Hooks straight into AD too... ;). No PS needed, just type up the sig in pure HTML.

Last edited:
Not too easily for our use case. Example:

Jade has:
jade@domain1 address (main account) which needs 1 sig for new emails and 1 for replies and these should be set by default.
jade@domain2 address, which she has Send As permission on, and when she sends from that account the signature needs to be her name BUT the AD contact details associated with the jade@domain2 address (and also has a signature each for new vs replies)
jade@domain3 address, same deal as above

AND THEN she has Send As permission set on about 10 other accounts whose domains are a mix of the above 3, which need to have the contact details of the accounts NOT jades details, AND it has to say "Jade on behalf of OtherUser" and fill in the other user's AD details appropriately in the template after that

Do that with Mail Flow rules and I'll be impressed :p

Last edited:
Holy ****, I didn't even realise it'd been a decade :p but ditto to pretty much everything you said lol. 16 to 27 dayum...still feels like just yesterday I was sitting in Tafe next to Nitestick after seeing him on the forums telling him I'd make the Mod team soon :grin: back when posts per day was a hot statistic/competition

it really does fly.. i still remember so well having my graphic design/desktop publishing job.. waiting until all my other coworkers left so i can jump on tech forums and waste time lol. Constantly changing gpus simply because i loved playing with new hardware! from 6800gs, to 7900gt, 7900gt sli, x1900xt, x1950pro in crossfire, then the regret of getting a 2900 pro just before the 8800gtx launch... then 8800gts... 8800gts 512, 8800gtx, 8800gtx sli, 9800gx2... and i know there was an 8800gt somewhere in there too lol.. then the amazing gtx260, 280, 280sli... boy have i been through them all.. and what a fun time that was.. my favorite game 3dmark haha

don't think i posted anymore when i got to the gtx460 and 480. got a 670 after that, then sli 770, 970, 980ti, to the now 1080

boy do i miss not having many financial responsibilities lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom