Potentially the longest thread in history...

^ "Business" crashplan :tongue: $10/mo
Though I recently moved all my stuff to Backblaze B2. Couldn't be happier.

In MN you can be let go at any time without any reason.
I had mentioned earlier how there was a massive layoff in the IT dept
Many people who had worked for 5-30 years were let go in an instant. They did get severance and were paid off their remaining vacation days but still, that's harsh for not giving any heads up.

On another serious note
have any of you guys heard of Eric Lundgren
E-waste recycler Eric Lundgren loses appeal on computer restore disks, must serve 15-month prison term
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...on-term/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d9e3682a10a6

Found a video about what happened to him then read into it.
I'll post it below, it's from Louis Rossmann who I have been following a lot recently.
Really sad and messed up imo.
All these big companies like Apple, Microsoft are getting away which so much crap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaoJErxYLtM&t=801s

So I had a recruiter contact me about a 11 month contracting job at a big pharma company near me. There were 10 essential skills, and I had 7 of them, so I didn't apply because I didn't have the other three.. BUT they were not huge skills like CCNE or anything, they were things I could reasonably learn in a few months. One of them was basic SQL knowledge, which I could probably get in a month or so. The other was experience with Azure Admin console, which I kind've have, but could get proper exposure if I convinced my boss to open it up fully to me. Can't remember the 3rd, but it was a similar kind of thing.

The pay for this 11 month contract was £550 a day...which is kind of insane, as that is almost 5 times my salary for a job which is 80% the same, just a few more skills required. I spoke to my dad about it and he said he used to work at the same pharma company before I was born, and back then they had contractors that they just kept indefinitely renewing their crazy salary contracts for years on end, and that they do the same thing at the bank he works at now; contractors doing regular senior sys engineer jobs on "short term" contracts for £120k a year but they just get auto renewed so it ends up being the same as a full time job.

I am quite tempted to pursue it. I have always hated the idea of having to find a new job every 6 months as a contractor, but if I could land one of these often renewed ones, then 120k would be freaking epic.

Do the contracting thing. You'll love it, even if just because you know how much you don't enjoy your current job. Worst-case, you can work for the 8 months, take 4 months off and still be ahead in your yearly earnings.

F**K that lol. I wouldn't even work for a company that could choose to fire me for no reason at all at any point.

Straya has pretty good workplace protection laws. You need a good reason to be fired (incompetent, gross misconduct, etc) otherwise you can sue for unfair dismissal.

It's really not hard to fire someone though, if they're clearly underperforming to a set standard you can fire them without a warning. Best practice is at least 1 written warning, which makes sense IMO. Tell your employee they're stuffing up and how to fix it, makes the worker base more stable and saves the company costs in hiring and training a new employee from scratch. If they fail to change, feel free to fire away.

I don't think I'd be comfortable taking out a house loan if I knew any day at work could be my last for looking the wrong way at the wrong person :/ and I don't know that the banks would be as happy to lend to me either.

The only time you can "fire" an employee who isn't breaking the rules is if the position is being made redundant. Even then you have to give 2-4 weeks notice depending how many years the employee has been working with you, and if you hire someone else for that position within a year you'll be in a ****load of trouble.
Different country, different rules. In most professional places if you're doing your job you won't get looked at.

Buying a house here is all on capital and credit. Right to work has no bearing on house purchasing. You also have to look like a profitable person to the lender in question.

On one hand it sucks, on the other hand it's way easier to get unemployment. If I got fired tomorrow for no security+ I could collect based on the fact that I did nothing "negative" in the eyes of the unemployment office. Same for the guy who got fired before me. Most firing is also dismissed during reference when interviewing for another employer because of it. Let's say tomorrow I did the same as the guy before me. An LM guy walks up to me and tells me to get on something now and I say no I can't I'm already working this and then they let me go, well to the next employer (depending on who they are) they will look past it because I was previously already doing my work. That's literally how the last guy got fired. He didn't say "I'll get on it" or "sure right after this", he just said no I can't I'm already working on this. Technically still doing his job. Wasn't a case of him watching Youtube then an LM person says start working on this and he said no. Just bad wording. Would a normal employer fire somebody for that? Probably not, normally a good stern talking to about command but at LM you have to watch your *** and what you say as a contractor. On the flip side, as an LM employee it's almost impossible to get fired even though they aren't union or anything like that. Just all depends on who you're working for.

Do the contracting thing. You'll love it, even if just because you know how much you don't enjoy your current job. Worst-case, you can work for the 8 months, take 4 months off and still be ahead in your yearly earnings.

[Redacted] I am someone who likes their comfort zone, I like things to be easy, I am not someone to continually push themselves constantly. I think it's cool and impressive for people that can and like to do that, but it's pretty much the opposite of me. It's not that I don't wish to improve or work up the career ladder so to speak, it's just that kind of thing stresses me out and gives me anxiety - starting a new job, meeting new people, driving to somewhere new, moving to a different location - all are stressors to me. I hate the idea of changing job, even if it were to go and work somewhere awesome like Google or Oculus.

But 120k ! I could save a house deposit in 6 months :omg: I have a lot of thinking to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
While our protections in the UK are generally pretty great, back in late 2016 my employer laid me off (without ending my employment with them) for 4 weeks, and then brought me back on part-time for two weeks, so I had about a week of pay spread over 6 weeks. This was entirely legal.

https://www.gov.uk/lay-offs-short-timeworking

They did this because officially my numbers weren't good enough - I was booking about 30-40% of my time to billable work, so in their view I was doing nothing productive with the other 60-70% (which wasn't at all true). Despite my billability being low, my profitability was higher than almost every other employee due to the hourly rate that cell site analysis draws, but since they weren't the sort of management to look that deep, away I went. That was a fun (read: agonising and depressing) part of my life.

Funnily enough, a few days ago I had a text from my old boss where he explicitly said he wishes I was still there; it's taken 2 new employees to just barely fill the gap I left :D The text convo started off with him having to ask how to fix a problem because none of them could figure it out, that left me smug as heeeeeell (I loved my team so I'm happy to help; if it were the management I'd tell them to **** off in exactly those words).

Last edited:
While our protections in the UK are generally pretty great, back in late 2016 my employer laid me off (without ending my employment with them) for 4 weeks, and then brought me back on part-time for two weeks, so I had about a week of pay spread over 6 weeks. This was entirely legal.

https://www.gov.uk/lay-offs-short-timeworking

They did this because officially my numbers weren't good enough - I was booking about 30-40% of my time to billable work, so in their view I was doing nothing productive with the other 60-70% (which wasn't at all true). Despite my billability being low, my profitability was higher than almost every other employee due to the hourly rate that cell site analysis draws, but since they weren't the sort of management to look that deep, away I went. That was a fun (read: agonising and depressing) part of my life.

Funnily enough, a few days ago I had a text from my old boss where he explicitly said he wishes I was still there; it's taken 2 new employees to just barely fill the gap I left :D The text convo started off with him having to ask how to fix a problem because none of them could figure it out, that left me smug as heeeeeell (I loved my team so I'm happy to help; if it were the management I'd tell them to **** off in exactly those words).

Nooo you shouldn't have done that ;) now they know they can just ask for your opinion at any time without needing to pay for your services.

Nooo you shouldn't have done that ;) now they know they can just ask for your opinion at any time without needing to pay for your services.

I just helped as a favour to my old boss, who was brilliant. I'm free to tell them I can't help if I cba.

^ "Business" crashplan :tongue: $10/mo
Though I recently moved all my stuff to Backblaze B2. Couldn't be happier.

...god damnit lol :eek: still a sight more than the $2.50 we were hoping to pay with carbonite :/ missing out all for the sake of not being able to backup from network locations with the home license.

But 120k ! I could save a house deposit in 6 months :omg: I have a lot of thinking to do.

But buying a house will be stressful too :O better not do it.

Back
Top Bottom