Potentially the longest thread in history...

And YET AGAIN at work I've had to explain to a native UK born English speaking person what an exclamation mark is by saying "It's the line with a dot underneath it". :mad:

Not ordered much PC hardware from Amazon but never had an issue, not noticed anything being repackaged or noticeably used. Could just be courier that ****ed up the box to be honest. Worked at DHL, the box's are literally thrown from a conveyor several meters down the chute. The industry requirements for packaging are that it has to survive a hard 1 meter fall. In reality it's worse though because warehouse staff give zero ****s. The tape or packaging that says 'fragile' is an absolute joke, there are like 100's of thousands of boxes coming through the big distribution centres, ain't nobody got time to read the tape or give a **** if it says fragile. If it's fragile then package it appropriately to meet the industry 1 meter drop standard. Also if it's gone anywhere by plane, it'll also have been put in a cage, which basically comes down to luck. Yours could have been put on the bottom of the cage and then had 200KG of other box's of any shape or size shoved on top. **** got broken all the time to be honest. In reality although it was still "all the time", you're still talking way less than 1%. But when you have 40 trucks and several cargo planes worth of cargo coming through the distribution centre every day, you still ended up with probably half a truck load of crushed/damaged items from mishandling that were disposed each and every day.

Not to say Amazon are not at fault, they should be packaging stuff to arrive in good condition. But there is a decent chance it left their warehouse in good condition.
That would explain the box, but not the rest. Unless USPS physically took the monitor out, tore it apart, and for some reason used the audio cable. Otherwise, it was quite clearly a refurb when it was marked new.

That would explain the box, but not the rest. Unless USPS physically took the monitor out, tore it apart, and for some reason used the audio cable. Otherwise, it was quite clearly a refurb when it was marked new.

Only reason USPS would open it if they were suspicious there was drugs in the box or other illegal contents. So yah i'm gonna say you got shipped a used/repaired item which is a bit ****. But I can't imagine it's any different to how DHL handled that, but maybe it is different in the US. Basically at DHL any items suspected of being illegal (occassionally they opened random parcels for spot checks) was handled by the government agencies that worked within the distribution center rather than DHL themselves. They had their own little area with a X-Ray machine, explosives/drugs testing machines, and a fancy repack machine which basically you put in a damaged or opened box on one side and it comes out the other end neatly packed in a new box and taped up, and then they would slap an HMRC inspection notice on the box and ship it as usual so long as it passed inspection.

Funny story, The US actually caused a huge **** tonne of issues for couriers and freight companies following 9/11 :p. They had to install huge radiation detection machines for all freight coming into the distribution centre, or the US would not allow the plane into the country if it's freight had not passed through one of the machines. They had false positives all the time, probably twice a week, and the whole building goes into lock down in case there was a terrorists nuclear bomb hidden in a package :lol: Maybe it was just a faulty detector where I worked..

Found them, these were the things https://phys.org/news/2016-01-detectors-ports-entry-effectively-efficiently.html

Yea I'm pretty positive it was a refurbed item. More than likely got shipped to me because I did next day and that's probably all they had at the warehouse near me.

Really doesn't surprise me that we cause a lot of extra BS when it comes to imports and exports.

Nothing is allowed to leave the warehouse with even the slightest dent unless a WHD sticker is on the box from what I remember being told. If an item is damaged and shipping sees it, they send the item to WHD for grading and testing before it ever leaves.

But trust me, we send out used stuff as brand new direct from Amazon ALL the time. Chances of someone getting used as new stuff is small, unless it happens to be more expensive specialty gear in high demand... Know how many 1080Ti's I get back because they are obviously used and going out as brand new because of the ext repair ****? Usually get a stack of 20 or 30 returned because they are obviously used and people are buying them thinking they are new, AND well, with the market they are paying way more than the new price as is. I would be pretty ticked.

But yeah, I am shifting most my purchases towards others... Amazon is good for some stuff, great return policy, but you could get bit. Wouldn't dream of buying 4TB Golds from Amazon any time soon, even if its sold and shipped by them, rather try Newegg before that, and I have grown a severe hatred towards Newegg over the years.

Last edited:
And YET AGAIN at work I've had to explain to a native UK born English speaking person what an exclamation mark is by saying "It's the line with a dot underneath it". :mad:

That would have been my limit, and resulted in me going postal.

Well, I've come to the conclusion that I probably won't buy anymore Asus items and even though I want that 4k monitor dropping this month I probably won't buy that either. I am done with that overglorified **** hole of a company.

BFGD or whatever stupid acronym they gave it? No. Then again, I haven't paid much attention to that as I'm not interested.

Yea once I see the price I won't be either, but as a 'new' tech i'm just surprised we haven't been made aware of any updates.

Back
Top Bottom