Potentially the longest thread in history...

So bored at the moment. I got approved for a netsec role a month ago but it'll take 2-3 months for it to be ready (they did warn me).

For now I make enough to live on with a 3-4 day work week with my uni support work, but it's just not enough, especially now that gaming and TV just don't interest me the way they used to (#FirstWorldProblems).

So, applied for the local PC shop to see if they have any ad-hoc/zero hours work. It's something I've always wanted to do (temporarily! I'm sure I'll hate it after the first couple of weeks), and it'll keep my occupied until my proper job is ready.

Been looking in too setting up a redundant slave PFSense Box as a fail over just too expand my network and use all the systems I have and man my mind is blown.

You should see some of the charts thats available on this topic. Its unreal. Its like something straight out of a university class on advanced networking topics.

Referred too as High availability the setup can include clusters from servers too anything else you can run PFSense on.

Double Post: :p

What happened too No Script.. I cant find it listed under FF Addons.

Has it been removed or am I missing something.

Anyone know.

Right now they're going for 1500 on Amazon. The issue has been a stock problem for MONTHS. I waited 7 months to catch them on sale either with Amazon or their own distributors. People have threads complaining about the stock on their forums too which is why I was so pissed he just randomly got one. Even their regular switches are in and out of stock constantly.

Be careful buying from Amazon when it comes to network switches, and pretty much all hardware... You might buy "new", but can easily end up with a used item that went through external "repair" which causes used items to be resold as new, when they are in fact, used. External Repair NEVER repairs ****. Fair warning!

Only finally figured this out my self after I noticed that I got a motherboard back that had a PCIe slot totally ripped off, and had just processed the exact same board 2 months prior. These are boards being sold as NEW, not "Like New" or "Open Box" or anything other than New.

Last edited:
So bored at the moment. I got approved for a netsec role a month ago but it'll take 2-3 months for it to be ready (they did warn me).

For now I make enough to live on with a 3-4 day work week with my uni support work, but it's just not enough, especially now that gaming and TV just don't interest me the way they used to (#FirstWorldProblems).

So, applied for the local PC shop to see if they have any ad-hoc/zero hours work. It's something I've always wanted to do (temporarily! I'm sure I'll hate it after the first couple of weeks), and it'll keep my occupied until my proper job is ready.

Yeah you will quit after a week lol.

Wait til the first person comes into the shop with their PC and says something like "ever since you repaired my PC, my WiFi is slower, and it's your fault".

:p

Be careful buying from Amazon when it comes to network switches, and pretty much all hardware... You might buy "new", but can easily end up with a used item that went through external "repair" which causes used items to be resold as new, when they are in fact, used. External Repair NEVER repairs ****. Fair warning!

Only finally figured this out my self after I noticed that I got a motherboard back that had a PCIe slot totally ripped off, and had just processed the exact same board 2 months prior. These are boards being sold as NEW, not "Like New" or "Open Box" or anything other than New.
This is almost a given with any Amazon electronics. Pretty sure I had a rant on here about the Asus monitor I bought "new" that was clearly a refurb. I was upgraded to a free business account so I send that **** back and then give them a call and make sure I get new. And actually, when it comes to Ubiquiti now I think I'll buy direct from now on.

+1 to the amazon issue of being listed as "new" although i've only had that bad luck with dealers. Buying directly from amazon i've never had a broken seal or a product re-shrink wraped

+1 to the amazon issue of being listed as "new" although i've only had that bad luck with dealers. Buying directly from amazon i've never had a broken seal or a product re-shrink wraped
My Asus monitor was direct from Amazon. Not Amazon warehouse, etc. 1 day Prime and all. Box was ****ed up, retaped with regular clear tape, audio cable wasn't even in a package, foam around the monitor was messed up, look like somebody man handled the monitor (glossy mind you) with pizza hands, it has 2 bad spots on the top, and the bezel doesn't line up so you can tell it was taken apart.

My Asus monitor was direct from Amazon. Not Amazon warehouse, etc. 1 day Prime and all. Box was ****ed up, retaped with regular clear tape, audio cable wasn't even in a package, foam around the monitor was messed up, look like somebody man handled the monitor (glossy mind you) with pizza hands, it has 2 bad spots on the top, and the bezel doesn't line up so you can tell it was taken apart.

Not ordered much PC hardware from Amazon but never had an issue, not noticed anything being repackaged or noticeably used. Could just be courier that ****ed up the box to be honest. Worked at DHL, the box's are literally thrown from a conveyor several meters down the chute. The industry requirements for packaging are that it has to survive a hard 1 meter fall. In reality it's worse though because warehouse staff give zero ****s. The tape or packaging that says 'fragile' is an absolute joke, there are like 100's of thousands of boxes coming through the big distribution centres, ain't nobody got time to read the tape or give a **** if it says fragile. If it's fragile then package it appropriately to meet the industry 1 meter drop standard. Also if it's gone anywhere by plane, it'll also have been put in a cage, which basically comes down to luck. Yours could have been put on the bottom of the cage and then had 200KG of other box's of any shape or size shoved on top. **** got broken all the time to be honest. In reality although it was still "all the time", you're still talking way less than 1%. But when you have 40 trucks and several cargo planes worth of cargo coming through the distribution centre every day, you still ended up with probably half a truck load of crushed/damaged items from mishandling that were disposed each and every day.

Not to say Amazon are not at fault, they should be packaging stuff to arrive in good condition. But there is a decent chance it left their warehouse in good condition.

Back
Top Bottom