Potentially the longest thread in history...

I pretty much said that before but in 1 to 2 years we will have 2 cards capable of pushing 8k 60-90 easy, and with foveated rendering we are looking at 12k renderable easy. I mentioned the last time heavy VR convo came up that foveated rendering is really the only way forward to make this feasible.

It's gonna be so dope man. The best thing about those resolutions is you'll be able to have multiple high res virtual displays to work in VR. Sweet. I liked Virtual desktop for rift, it was novel, but the res was too low and eye strain a bit too annoying to be practical for actual use. But can easily see in a few years it being entirely feasible once they solve eye strain and make the headsets more comfortable. 3x huge oled 4K 120hz screens floating in space? Yes please! Even if it were 3x 1440p screens that would be amazing.

In other news please for the love of god can they put Windows Hello or FaceID in monitors. I really love Face ID logging me into everything such as websites automatically on iPhone.

Last edited:
It's gonna be so dope man. The best thing about those resolutions is you'll be able to have multiple high res virtual displays to work in VR. Sweet. I liked Virtual desktop for rift, it was novel, but the res was too low and eye strain a bit too annoying to be practical for actual use. But can easily see in a few years it being entirely feasible once they solve eye strain and make the headsets more comfortable. 3x huge oled 4K 120hz screens floating in space? Yes please! Even if it were 3x 1440p screens that would be amazing.

In other news please for the love of god can they put Windows Hello or FaceID in monitors. I really love Face ID logging me into everything such as websites automatically on iPhone.

I'm not sure how this tech works but if were lucky. Maybe the owners of this site will impliment Face ID for us the members.

One day we'll come too techist & their will be a full revamp & extra security with personalised greetings after the owners invest a good chunk of cash.

Just saying maybe... Just maybe...

:p ..

Phwar ****'s blowing up with all this cambridge analytica stuff :O tumultuous times ahead lol

It's not really surprising. There is a long history of American companies and the American Government outsourcing certain work to the British Government and private companies.

While America enjoys a lot of relaxed laws, some of it's constitutional stuff is quite protective which makes it difficult for the state & federal governments and companies to do dodgy things. We don't have such laws in the UK, especially under a conservative Theresa May lead government (she wants to abolish human rights laws in some instances...).

The NSA and CIA for example pay GCHQ *huge* sums of money to do surveillance on American citizens. Our government love it because it means we can afford to implement cutting edge intelligence systems that are very expensive without paying a dime, and the American government are happy because it keeps them legal.

And now you see it break out into private companies... my guess is this is the tip of the iceberg.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/aug/01/nsa-paid-gchq-spying-edward-snowden

£100m lol. And the rest..

Last edited:
I disagree a lot with both parties.

Tories spend £1bn to secure themselves in government (could be seen as worth it for stability), Spend £5bn upgrading Parliament building. But wont spend a few hundred million sorting out fire safety for tower block residents after Grenfell. Give themselves £10k pay rise, refuse pay rise for all other public sector workers.

So yeah that **** pisses me off. BUT I do agree with their austerity program. Our debt is too high, it is not good. Yes it sucks, yes I hate the cuts to public services, and yes it's annoying that baby boomers enjoyed decades of frivolous public spending and then millenials have to pay it back through year after year of ****ty cuts. But you can't avoid debt, it will just grow into a much bigger problem if we ignore it, and then we'd REALLY have to pay for it.

I dont know which party had the idea of Hinkley Point C or HS2, but both are terrible wastes of money and neither of them give anything in return, and burn a hole in the austerity measures.

Theresa May has gone up in my estimation after dealing with the Novichok Russian scenario.

Labours idea to spend £100bn+ on top of our current debt is just plain stupid. But they don't care. Jeremy Corbyn is economically dangerous, and is too quick to support dangerous regimes and states because he thinks that "being nice" works. I don't legitimately believe Russia or Putin are good, but I do believe he thinks the best way to go about dealing with it is by being kind and friendly to them. That will never with a country like Russia who will very much abuse that kind of relationship. You have to be tough, tough, tough with countries like Russia.

Corbyns Nuclear disarmament idea is again idealistic and diplomatically + militarily dangerous. No one wants nuclear weapons, and if we do not get rid of them eventually, we will end up using them. Maybe it will be 5 years or maybe it will be 100 years. But if you wield nuclear weapons long enough, some crazy person will get hold of them and use them. I get that. BUT now is not the time for scrapping the nuclear Trident program. We have an increasingly aggressive Russia and North Korea, a fledgling nuclear program in Iran, Pakistan and India, and countries like Saudi Arabia are threatening to develop their own nuclear weapons too in response to middle east instability. The only reason these countries will not use them readily is because of powerful nuclear enabled members of NATO. We need to work on bringing stable and friendly leadership to these regimes and solving conflict in that area before we start abandoning nuclear weapons.

tl;dr

Labour and Conservatives are both bad overall. But right here right now, for as many faults as they have, I think we are better governed by the Conservatives. And I say they gritting my teeth. They are woeful in so many areas, but at least they are somewhat strong defensively and economically.

First real time (partially) ray traced graphics in a "game". Well it's not an actual in production game, but it could be. It's real time in Unreal Engine 4 atleast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMSuGoYcT3s

Good news: It looks ****ing amazing !
Bad news: It ran on a PC with 4x Nvidia Volta GPUs with undisclosed amounts of VRAM, RAM, and CPU power. Other than the fact it was an Nvidia DGX Station
Ugly news: DGX Station costs like $50k

Well all is not lost. In 5 to 7 years you will probably be able to get a single GPU solution for < $1000 that is fast enough to achieve that kind of graphical fidelity with ray tracing. The future is pretty!

Not too sure about that... There are a few websites that have high traffic flow and are mostly forums, then again, they are run by owners/creators of youtube channels... What's killing this site is that we haven't had a serious redesign, nor constant news/review workflow.

Think about this... Tom's Hardware, while not a great site, has plenty of traffic and tons of activity, even with the horribly laid out "forum" they use.

We had a "reviews" section, and tutorials, but never properly implemented them (main front page pulling from each section individually and the such), and they kinda died off in time.
I agree with the comments about Tom's Hardware. Definitely a lot of traffic there as the site has been around forever. But that forum software is for the birds.

Back
Top Bottom