Potentially the longest thread in history...

Obviously not. I was referring to the high praise like the Cisco people.

Like seriously PP, I do read your statuses and find you to be a very intelligent gye but IDK how the **** I manage too keep picking you up the wrong way. Their have been several times I have got the wrong end of the stick and I'm not being paranoid. The way I read that was because kmans update was in reply too me so I figured you must be having some sort of pop or go.

IDK, maybe its because your American and I'm British. Very different cultures and backgrounds. I don't know.

:lol:

Obviously not. I was referring to the high praise like the Cisco people.

I've met a few typical Cisco engineers, and they're good at what they do, but nothing super special. But when I was at DHL, we had a Cisco architect directly from Cisco come over to redevelop the UK's DHL network infrastructure. I got to speak to him a bit. For me personally, he was probably the smartest IT guy I ever met. Truly god tier, it was like having an IT encyclopedia sat by your side lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
since we're talking about knowledge and stuff
my cousin is currently getting his IS degree
I was thinking he should maybe go get certified in a few things while he's at it so he can add more credibility.
Any suggestions on certs to get
beginner or intermediate level?
I don't have a degree nor a cert so i wouldn't mind getting one as well

I've met a few typical Cisco engineers, and they're good at what they do, but nothing super special. But when I was at DHL, we had a Cisco architect directly from Cisco come over to redevelop the UK's DHL network infrastructure. I got to speak to him a bit. For me personally, he was probably the smartest IT guy I ever met. Truly god tier, it was like having an IT encyclopedia sat by your side lol.
That's how a few coworkers feel like about me, and I obviously don't feel that way about myself. I've met a lot of dudes from HP/Dell, Intel, Nvidia, Cisco, AMD, IBM and a few other companies when I was in the iLab. Every single on of them one trick ponies. They were good at one specific thing, what they did for a job. Didn't matter if it was a sales team or actual engineers coming for assistance on a project. Smart people all individually and in general, but nothing I'd say "god tier". They all felt to me like the kind of people that in their domain they could run circles around you because it's what they do but if you asked them something basic most normies know they'd look at you like a deer in headlights.

since we're talking about knowledge and stuff
my cousin is currently getting his IS degree
I was thinking he should maybe go get certified in a few things while he's at it so he can add more credibility.
Any suggestions on certs to get
beginner or intermediate level?
I don't have a degree nor a cert so i wouldn't mind getting one as well
DoD has a hard on for security+ CE right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's how a few coworkers feel like about me, and I obviously don't feel that way about myself. I've met a lot of dudes from HP/Dell, Intel, Nvidia, Cisco, AMD, IBM and a few other companies when I was in the iLab. Every single on of them one trick ponies. They were good at one specific thing, what they did for a job. Didn't matter if it was a sales team or actual engineers coming for assistance on a project. Smart people all individually and in general, but nothing I'd say "god tier". They all felt to me like the kind of people that in their domain they could run circles around you because it's what they do but if you asked them something basic most normies know they'd look at you like a deer in headlights.

DoD has a hard on for security+ CE right now.

Got Sec+CE and CSA+ last year. This year comes the dreaded CASP. All the testimonies I've heard say its really difficult.

Which one is the easiest or beginner level.
If these are tough do you have a suggestion for a starting point

Which one is the easiest or beginner level.
If these are tough do you have a suggestion for a starting point

Take a look at this. The CompTIA career track depends on what field within IT so pick your field and it will show you certs from not just CompTIA but other vendors as well. I chose CompTIA because each of their certs are ~$500 and include a studying/exam practice platform called CertMaster. Versus many competitors who charge $1000+ just for the shot at taking the exam. I recommend choosing a study method that works best for you. Some people learn best in a classroom and its going to be worth it to spend some money to more adequately learn. CertMaster + CBT Nuggets happens to be a really good way for me to learn and I use new things I discover in CertMaster to find new Nuggets to watch.

Every cert out there has some sort of objectives page or exam topic overview. I recommend perusing the overviews of a few different certs you like and using that to determine where to invest your money and study.

Last edited:
Take a look at this. The CompTIA career track depends on what field within IT so pick your field and it will show you certs from not just CompTIA but other vendors as well. I chose CompTIA because each of their certs are ~$500 and include a studying/exam practice platform called CertMaster. Versus many competitors who charge $1000+ just for the shot at taking the exam. I recommend choosing a study method that works best for you. Some people learn best in a classroom and its going to be worth it to spend some money to more adequately learn. CertMaster + CBT Nuggets happens to be a really good way for me to learn and I use new things I discover in CertMaster to find new Nuggets to watch.

Every cert out there has some sort of objectives page or exam topic overview. I recommend perusing the overviews of a few different certs you like and using that to determine where to invest your money and study.

I'm gonna definitely look into this for myself.
I don't have a degree and no certification, I've survived so far however I would really like to get certified in something, I do good at where I work and have never failed but I wanna get something official I guess, would be nice plus I really wanna try learning something so then I can maybe specialize in a specific area. In my last 2 IT gigs I've done random stuff here and there, never get a chance to focus in one area and master it so I can be confident to go elsewhere.
Thanks again for posting that. Might try doing some of these with my younger cousins who are now trying to get in the field.

Back
Top Bottom