Potentially the longest thread in history...

Can I ask a serious question:

Does anyone else thing I'm seriously retarded with technology. I mean seriously rite. Is their something I'm just not getting. Do I have that part of my ****ing brain missing were I cant process the logical thinking of a somewhat engineer too an extent.

I've been trying too set up PFSense for about a god damn week and their something I'm missing. Their is something I just don't get about why I cant get an external address on WAN. I can get an internal address on LAN but then no access too the web config but no external I.P Address for WAN. I've installed it three time with a fresh partition wipe and the **** I'm going threw in regards to going over and over again is unreal. I've tried every option from changing NICs too fresh installs and resetting the I.P Address and using different Sub Nets for LAN. but still no external I.P Address for WAN.

I feel like a complete idiot posting about this on PFSense Forums because they explained whats wrong but I'm drastically missing something..

Is their something wrong with my thinking or thought process. A I retarded or what hear like.

Lol, I work in IT support. I can give you a scale and place you on it.

Here is the spectrum from 1 to 20... 1 is about the same skills as a monkey has on a PC. 20 is someone like a top tier Cisco network architect.

Most people I have to help at work, i'd put most people at the 2 or 3/20 level. By that I mean teaching them things like what the start button is in Windows, or how to minimize and maximize a window. The 4/20 or 5/20 people are what your typical office worker is like who uses a PC day in day out, but you have to show them things like adding a printer or printing to PDF or changing the screen orientation in display settings. 6/20 is getting pretty advanced for your typical non IT person. This includes things like changing the default program something opens with, keyboard shortcuts like Windows key + L to lock the screen and use Task Manager properly. There are probably 150 office staff at my work, and i'd say maybe 3 or 4 people outside of IT can do that kind of thing, to my knowledge anyway. Between 7 and 8/20 is when you can ring someone and say something like "Restart, press F12, select BIOS, enable multi-display adapter mode, restart, go into windows, and now you can setup your extra monitors". And they are competent enough to follow that instruction without issue.

With all that in mind, you are probably like 13/20 or 14/20 (which is pretty decent when you consider people that get 20/20 are seriously knowledgeable and work at places like Microsoft and Cisco).. Spud, 99.99% of people who use a PC have no idea what PFSense is let alone can use it, so you are already WAY WAY ahead of the vast majority of people, you have no idea :p

Here is the spectrum from 1 to 20... 1 is about the same skills as a monkey has on a PC. 20 is someone like a top tier Cisco network architect.

Most people I have to help at work, i'd put most people at the 2 or 3/20 level. By that I mean teaching them things like what the start button is in Windows, or how to minimize and maximize a window. The 4/20 or 5/20 people are what your typical office worker is like who uses a PC day in day out, but you have to show them things like adding a printer or printing to PDF or changing the screen orientation in display settings. 6/20 is getting pretty advanced for your typical non IT person. This includes things like changing the default program something opens with, keyboard shortcuts like Windows key + L to lock the screen and use Task Manager properly. There are probably 150 office staff at my work, and i'd say maybe 3 or 4 people outside of IT can do that kind of thing, to my knowledge anyway. Between 7 and 8/20 is when you can ring someone and say something like "Restart, press F12, select BIOS, enable multi-display adapter mode, restart, go into windows, and now you can setup your extra monitors". And they are competent enough to follow that instruction without issue.

With all that in mind, you are probably like 13/20 or 14/20 (which is pretty decent when you consider people that get 20/20 are seriously knowledgeable and work at places like Microsoft and Cisco).. Spud, 99.99% of people who use a PC have no idea what PFSense is let alone can use it, so you are already WAY WAY ahead of the vast majority of people, you have no idea :p

Read this last night and I'm still not sure what too say really. I've never been paid such a compliment to be quite honest. Made me feel really good about my self so thanks for that.

Also it helps if you put your ISP Box Router in Bridged mode since PFSEnse is a Firewall and your DSL Connection needs too be processed my the Modem. I've not set it up yet but I now know what the problem is. :lol: :D :omg: :p :p

I wouldn't put people like that in such a high tier. They're usually one trick ponies.

You will continue to be pleased, too.
You should see the mess of ****ing cables I have under, on, and around my desk from trying to do a 2 PC setup with consoles and a capture card. **** all that man and worse part is the 4k capture utility for Elgato stuff didn't even work. I was considering getting their 4k then was like there HAS to be a better way. Now I offload everything to my server. It's amazing.

Seriously thinking of moving back to Win7 or Win10 Pro/Home. Win10 Enterprise keeps pissing me off, even if it was free.

You should see the mess of ****ing cables I have under, on, and around my desk from trying to do a 2 PC setup with consoles and a capture card. **** all that man and worse part is the 4k capture utility for Elgato stuff didn't even work. I was considering getting their 4k then was like there HAS to be a better way. Now I offload everything to my server. It's amazing.

Ive been through the same struggle as well so I can relate.

Back
Top Bottom