Potentially the longest thread in history... - Page 5515 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Member's Area > Off Topic Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2018, 07:27 PM   #55141 (permalink)
The strange one

Default Re: Potentially the longest thread in history...

5-6 grand? Full array local dimming LCD's aren't expensive anymore.. The only tech that really sets this apart from a TV is the refresh rate and the nvidia wares.

Albeit, the 120hz gsync makes 24-27" panels on average around 1.3-1.5x the cost of a non-gsync display plus the Shield which has ~300$ of msrp hardware costs. Its not an IPS panel so we shouldn't see crazy expensive price spike like with the ultra-wide ROG swift product line...

Comparing with to today's TV market of 4k 65" displays @ 900$-1200$.. even tripling those prices is kinda radical. This new ROG 65" is by no means a consumer-level purchase but even comparing it to some of the highest-end 65" panels you better bet Asus will be trying to compete with these factors in their products' pricepoint compared to the current TV market.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:30 AM   #55142 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iParanormalx View Post
5-6 grand? Full array local dimming LCD's aren't expensive anymore.. The only tech that really sets this apart from a TV is the refresh rate and the nvidia wares.

Albeit, the 120hz gsync makes 24-27" panels on average around 1.3-1.5x the cost of a non-gsync display plus the Shield which has ~300$ of msrp hardware costs. Its not an IPS panel so we shouldn't see crazy expensive price spike like with the ultra-wide ROG swift product line...

Comparing with to today's TV market of 4k 65" displays @ 900$-1200$.. even tripling those prices is kinda radical. This new ROG 65" is by no means a consumer-level purchase but even comparing it to some of the highest-end 65" panels you better bet Asus will be trying to compete with these factors in their products' pricepoint compared to the current TV market.
You're thinking too practical. The ROG name alone for a monitor commands at least a grand.

This is the first consumer grade single panel 120hz monitor, let alone the first of its kind for the market. The fact that it's TV sized will command an increased price.

It's fully HDR, full array backlit, 1000nit peak, and DCI-P3 gamut, and all though we don't know the "actual" specs of the panel yet we're told monitor grade input latency. Since we know Nvidia was already working with AOU one could assume it's an AOU VA panel. This would yield the best contrast and input latency.

It has Gsync AND a Shield built in, there's a premium.

This is a device that apparently has had a lot of demand and being first to market it will inevitably be expensive. Just look at Samsung's new 4TB SSD. More than double a pair of same brand 2TB SSDs but just because they can it's expensive. So yea, I expect a 5 grand minimum price tag on these.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #55143 (permalink)
Build Guru

Going on day 5 of feeling like ****.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:26 AM   #55144 (permalink)
Lord Techie

So... Have processed at least 800 dead eVGA power supplies in the last month, and mine went belly up this past week as well... Not buying anything with an eVGA tag on it for awhile... Seems they are cutting QC where it can be cut, even when it's someone else making the unit.

Seriously, I have processed maybe a dozen of cooler master, corsair, thermaltake and so on, but for some reason, there's a VERY high return rate on eVGA power supplies... Never see their GPU's... Starting to figure out what brands I might be going with soon when I upgrade.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:13 AM   #55145 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
So... Have processed at least 800 dead eVGA power supplies in the last month, and mine went belly up this past week as well... Not buying anything with an eVGA tag on it for awhile... Seems they are cutting QC where it can be cut, even when it's someone else making the unit.

Seriously, I have processed maybe a dozen of cooler master, corsair, thermaltake and so on, but for some reason, there's a VERY high return rate on eVGA power supplies... Never see their GPU's... Starting to figure out what brands I might be going with soon when I upgrade.
What models?

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #55146 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Phwar what a weekend! Started it Thursday with my 21yo brothers wedding, despite me getting very drunk and doing an impromptu speech it went well
Recovered Friday with a lazy trip to the pub with some friends, said goodbye to my visiting sis on Sat with a family BBQ at the park, Sunday I took my little bro down to the beach and tested out my old GoPro! I'll post up the crappy video montage I made soon

Arrived at work Monday and the new changes have kicked in! We no longer have to wear black slacks and dress shoes all the time; jeans and "smart footwear" are now acceptable.
But BEST OF ALL, our hours have been cut back to 7.5hr days with .5 hour lunch break and no pay cuts, so I get to finish 30 mins earlier than usual also got my hours moved 30 mins earlier, so instead of working 8-4:30 I'm now doing 7:30-3:30. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh yussssss
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:17 PM   #55147 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
What models?
Mostly the BQ 650 and 750 units, they are totally burned up, can smell it as soon as the box is opened, get a good chunk of the G2 units as well, so far, no GS models *yet* that I have personally handled that has been defective.

Any time I get a BQ anymore, I just open the box to make sure it's there and immediately fail the unit, no need for a load test anymore since it's been a 100% failure rate on returned ones for me.

The G2 units that I have processed don't have a smell, but they all fail to either power on with a load test, or cut out during the load testing, occasionally get a few that work just fine though. I suspect there may have been a bad batch for G2 though, as they mostly behave the same, and when compared to the others being returned, are probably sitting at a semi-normal rate. I don't get to see actual rate per product, only what I end up handling.

It's funny though... Someone sent back a SuperNova G2-1600w unit... They glued the box shut and I had to destroy the box. No PSU, but it had just the right amount of weight in it to process through basic returns.

I can't really go into what happens after that nor the process, but it's not good for the customer.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:49 AM   #55148 (permalink)
AR ML AI <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
Phwar what a weekend! Started it Thursday with my 21yo brothers wedding, despite me getting very drunk and doing an impromptu speech it went well
Recovered Friday with a lazy trip to the pub with some friends, said goodbye to my visiting sis on Sat with a family BBQ at the park, Sunday I took my little bro down to the beach and tested out my old GoPro! I'll post up the crappy video montage I made soon

Arrived at work Monday and the new changes have kicked in! We no longer have to wear black slacks and dress shoes all the time; jeans and "smart footwear" are now acceptable.
But BEST OF ALL, our hours have been cut back to 7.5hr days with .5 hour lunch break and no pay cuts, so I get to finish 30 mins earlier than usual also got my hours moved 30 mins earlier, so instead of working 8-4:30 I'm now doing 7:30-3:30. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh yussssss
Well, well, screw you and your happiness!

I want some good news for myself !

AMD Ryzen 1300X
16GB DDR4
Nvidia GTX1060
WD Blue 250GB SSD
Asus AMD PRIME B350M-A Mobo
Corsair 450w PSU
Fractal Design Core 1100 mATX Case

I can't wait for the day where my house robot with artificial general intelligence can be spoken too like a pathetic slave. "GO MAKE ME A DAMN MEAL, YOU POS!".
kmanmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:26 AM   #55149 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Aced an interview last week (kicking me out a depressive period cos I felt like I knew nothing), got the second interview today - more of a meet and greet with the 1st interviewer's boss to vet me.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Yami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:29 AM   #55150 (permalink)
AR ML AI <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
Aced an interview last week (kicking me out a depressive period cos I felt like I knew nothing), got the second interview today - more of a meet and greet with the 1st interviewer's boss to vet me.
Nice going.

AMD Ryzen 1300X
16GB DDR4
Nvidia GTX1060
WD Blue 250GB SSD
Asus AMD PRIME B350M-A Mobo
Corsair 450w PSU
Fractal Design Core 1100 mATX Case

I can't wait for the day where my house robot with artificial general intelligence can be spoken too like a pathetic slave. "GO MAKE ME A DAMN MEAL, YOU POS!".
kmanmx is offline   Reply With Quote